Privateer and DOSBox

M

muppet

Original Privateer and DOSBox 0.63

Well, goodbye Remake. Very nice project you have here, guys, but I just got my Privateer CD version running in DOSBox, and I'm not likely to check back here anymore. :D

I'm nearly shaking with joy.

After so many years of telling hundreds of people that Privateer and Armada absolutely would not work in Windows, it feels incredible to be able to point people towards MyJemm and DOSBox.

Well it seems to me as with any remake this is to make the game better and also make it more compatible with windows I too run dosbox for the old Strike commander and Privateer games but they lack so much in speed and often get errors and abort without notice.. so if they get this project where my peice of crap video card can run it I would be happy to try it but untill then I'll check back often and keep up the dos simulation....

I gotta say, I too kind of like the original better than the remake so far, especially because I miss righteous fire and all the transition animations for landing/jumping etc. Once the remake has those though I think I'll be able to retire my original privateer.

I can't get it to run fast enough in DosBox....I have a 2.5GHz but it runs like the original would on a 386.

Hard to believe it takes so much computer to run a game that's 12 years old.

Privateer runs brilliantly on my AMD 3000+ Barton with a gig of RAM And Radeon9600 Pro. I set cycles to 9000 in dosbox.conf and the game runs about as well as it did on my old 486. Very playable.

I've tried several times, and have never gotten anything to run in DOSbox.
'Sides, I like what I've seen/heard about this remake.
It's got all of the original stuff, with a few new wrinkles that probably could've been put in the original, if the computers had been better.
And, of course, that's not to mention the fact that it's been getting harder, and harder to keep the old stuff playable.
I wish I could get my old Earthseige, and Battletech, games to run, though.

Crescent Hawk's Interception of your butt with its foot?

I dunno if having BT 1 & 2 running is really an _endorsement_ for dosBox :D. Of course, it doesn't help that those two games accounted for 80% of my childhood computer-related stress and anger (the other 20% being autoexec.bat, config.sys, and Privateer, in that order). Why would you want to play those, when you could have MechCommander?

-sleet01
"I laughed, I cried, I fell down, it changed my life . . . it was good."

I HAVE MechCommander 1/Gold/2, but the BattleTech games were a lot of fun.
I had them on 3 1/2" floppies that would auto-config/run.
Wish we could still set up autoexec.bat and config.sys like we did in DOS.
Made my life a lot easier!
(And kept my games playable until WinXP came out.)

PS
I thought I mentioned that I haven't gotten ANYTHING to run in DOSBox.

Back