Privateer 3 Manual (August 11, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Can you believe that Privateer 3 made it far enough in development to have its own manual? While this certainly wasn't the finished version, it's pretty cool -- check out the ship specifications for several of the classes seen in the screenshots above! Unfortunately we're missing several of the fonts, so the layout hasn't quite rendered correctly... but we'll fix that as we learn more about regenerating Origin's old Quark files. Special thanks to Standoff's PopsiclePete for growing this file! Download it here:

--
Original update published on August 11, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
A great read! It's part manual / part sales pitch. The multiplayer section is a real gem. 64 players?!!? Can you imagine a 32 vs 32 player capship battle? Heh just amazing. Part 3 and the ship descriptions is another interesting section. The blurb on the Manowar is...unique to say the least.

A great read! It's part manual / part sales pitch. The multiplayer section is a real gem. 64 players?!!? Can you imagine a 32 vs 32 player capship battle? Heh just amazing. Part 3 and the ship descriptions is another interesting section. The blurb on the Manowar is...unique to say the least.

Reminds me of Freelancer, which was supposed to have 1500 player hosted servers in it but I think settled for 128 (However, I've heard the 'real' upper limit is about 32 players to one server).

However, some of the battles in Allegience get pretty large, there's an anniversary game every year to celebrate a favorite community member who passed away that usually attracts around 150 people to one game - 75 vs 75 - and some of them are undoubtedly in player controlled capital ships.

Maybe someone can help me. I try to download the manual but it keeps stopping well before completion. Does this happen to anyone else?

Maybe someone can help me. I try to download the manual but it keeps stopping well before completion. Does this happen to anyone else?

Are you just clicking and trying to view it in the browser? I get that issue sometimes, but right-clicking the link and save-as will work every time.

I don't know how you guys can read this, its so depressing. The original privateer was such a great game this one would have been awesome. Why would they cancel something so far in development??

I don't know how you guys can read this, its so depressing. The original privateer was such a great game this one would have been awesome. Why would they cancel something so far in development??

I guess I'm just over that now. I can see this being awful news for someone that hasn't heard of it before but I've personally known about the cancelled privateer 3for a number of years now. The CIC has had the FMV Script online for a while.

It's certainly a shame. My guess would be this particular cancellation was entirely budgetary -- note that the game died a matter of weeks if not days before it was supposed to gear up for its film shoot. My guess is they had a built in kill switch at that point, with the decision up to the accountants in San Mateo.

... but that's just speculation based on a little bit of fact; it's equally possible that the game just wasn't any good. I doubt it, though.

Based on the screenshots in the manual how far in development does anybody think they were? If it was playable does anybody think there is any chance the build could be leaked? (I know I'm probably just hoping here because it's been many years)

Also does anybody have an opinion on the new space sim Dark Horizon? It will never be Privateer but it could be as much of a sequel as freelancer was. Privateer will always be unique for anybody who ever finished the original WC games. It was just so cool to run into confed ships from the original games or kilrathi ships that I had spent hours blowing apart... Privateer had a built in universe that was familiar to any WC fan, just kinda made it special I guess...

Well Freelancer can actually handle 128 players. It all depends on the server and network.

I currently host a Freelancer server that can handle 128 players. And we have a killer mod of Freelancer called Nightstalker's Universe Mod.

Check it out at http://olympus.gwcdata.com

I do wish they had made Freelancer 2 or Privateer 3....

Sad when what you waited for gets trashed... :(

Zeus

I have the distrinct impression Privateer 3 would've been truly great. Of course we'll never know.

Well Freelancer can actually handle 128 players. It all depends on the server and network.

I currently host a Freelancer server that can handle 128 players. And we have a killer mod of Freelancer called Nightstalker's Universe Mod.

Check it out at http://olympus.gwcdata.com

I do wish they had made Freelancer 2 or Privateer 3....

Sad when what you waited for gets trashed... :(

Zeus

The handful of xbox 360 proof of concept videos for Freelancer2 certainly looked neat. It definitely would have gone on my must-buy list.

Not sure how far they got on brute force 2 either.

Back