Privateer 2 Time-Set?

Fontaine

Rear Admiral
I was wondering if anyone had any factual evidence or reference that says what the actual year is when you start playing in Privateer 2.

I have the huge strategy guide and all the manuals but I can't seem to find an actual "current" game-year. In the game I looked up all the files in the public records and the highest year I found was 2794, which was the year Joe (that bartender) committed some crime. After some discussion and no real conclusion, my RPG friends and I resolved that the game starts roughly in the year 2795 or 2796.

So does anyone know for sure what the year is? Or do you peeps just kinda agree with the conclusion my friends and I have come up with?

=Gemini=

Mr. Bandit LOAF, I mentioned finding the year 2794 in P2 as a year Joe the bartender commited some crime. The game couldn't be set in 2790. Since 2794 was in Joe's history, I would naturally assume the game must be 2795+.

Didn't you read my post, Mr. LOAF? Apparently you missed a spot.

=Gemini=

Hmm, Nemesis... I suppose it's possible my friends and I ALL read 2694 as 2794 by error. But my game is installed on my computer at home. I'll have to check it myself in a week and a half when school ends. Until then I'll take your word for it. Thanks

=Gemini=

Even so, does it say the year is 2790 anywhere specifically? Not just an implied or assumed date. I wanta know if there's any reference to the current date being 2790, straight up.

Yes... if you enable all the possible database entries there's some reason why it's 2790... I can't remember what it is, though. I'll have to find wherever I backed up my notes...

Yeah, I'd like to hear where you found it or derived it from. I put some time into researching it some years ago but it wasn't as thorough as it could have been, and I'm sure I missed a spot myself. I wish I had my game installed here, cause I'd check it all out myself one more time. Until then I'll just listen to what you peeps here have to say. Any disproving will have to come in a couple of weeks :). It seems obvious though that the year had to have been at least 2790. At least we agree it's at least that far into the future.

Originally posted by =Gemini=
Yeah, I'd like to hear where you found it or derived it from. I put some time into researching it some years ago but it wasn't as thorough as it could have been, and I'm sure I missed a spot myself. I wish I had my game installed here, cause I'd check it all out myself one more time. Until then I'll just listen to what you peeps here have to say. Any disproving will have to come in a couple of weeks :). It seems obvious though that the year had to have been at least 2790. At least we agree it's at least that far into the future.

The trick is that a lot of the entries are added in missions later in the game -- and a lot of them are added with missions that are played randomly... so what you have to do is hex-edit your savegame file to activate *all* the entries.

So we're not going to discuss whether it is REALLY in the WC universe?

(hehehe I know I'm gonna get a big *THWAK* for saying that ;))

I get once, when i said that maybe we shouldnt put WcTheMovie and WcAcademy Animated Series in the Timeline cause there is lots of trouble with them and the games.I said that its should be better to take some clues from them:rolleyes:

Dont say that again, they are gonna kill us:D

I don't want to spark another rehash of the issue, but I think I should point out that it doesn't strain one's imagination much to get the movie and the show to fit in rather well.

Or Privateer 2, for that matter.</EDIT>

The entry for "Fossa, Alberto Rinaldo" -- he was "fined for possessing an icon belonging... 4 years ago", and his criminal record lists this as 2786. 2786+4=2790.

The most *recent* date actually mentioned in the database is 2789 -- when Hal Taffin apparently killed someone.

Everything else falls into place with 2790 as the date -- for instance, Jan Mitorr was therefore born in 2709 and then 20 years old when he joined Medexport Inc.

Back