Privateer 2 + speed issues.

S

speedkills

I run a dual boot of WIN98se and 2000pro so there was no problem installing the game and playing it. I tried mo'slo but was unable to get the game to run slow enough to play without screwing the sound up. I installed the speed patch and everything works great, but in flight is now to slow. The read me says to adjust the speed as follows.

"If it is too fast or too slow, try tweaking the values at 87D79h (UI, default 20ms) and 87D8Dh (space, default 30ms)."

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks.

My space flight is way too fast. It's insane-like fast. I ran that patch that slows it down but it didn't seem to work. Any ideas?

I run Privateer 2 without the slow-down patch. I use Turbo, which should be in the CIC files area if I'm not mistaken. Turbo works more precisely on Win2K and XP systems, but it does work quite well on my Win98 as well. I have an Athlon 800, and I cut the Turbo to 25-30%, and it works wonderfully. Do the math to make your processor run at about 200mhz, and it should hopefully work OK.

I can't find the turbo file. Can anyone help me find this file? Or explain to me how that slow patch works or why it may not work on mine.

I have tried turbo and it does not work. How do I edit the EXE file so I can adjust the speed?

Do you mean the turbo.exe or the game exe? If the turbo: you can change it when running via "turbo" menu and setting the number to something lower than 100%.

But where do I find the turbo thingy. I seriously don't see it anywhere in files. Man, I feel dumb right about now. You should see how fast space flight is though. Like I overheat my guns in two seconds.

In DosBox, how do I create a drive. Because I was reading the readme file with the patch (not the Turbo one) and it said I need to open it in DosBox?

In DosBox, how do I create a drive. Because I was reading the readme file with the patch (not the Turbo one) and it said I need to open it in DosBox?
I guess the readme is talking about the normal Windows DosBox and not the DosBOX 0.61 or so. Or did I get your question wrong?
To the Turbo: You can download it here: https://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wcutils
under "Utility and Programs" , the 4th last point. - It's a seperate programm (just mention it, if we just missunderstood each other ^^)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I found the turbo file and downloaded it. It definately slowed the game down enough so that it's playable. Only now the sound is way choppy and cuts in and out. Does it matter how exact I slow it down?

Sorry, no idea :(
But you may want to try out other slowdown tools, like CPU killer (also see download section). Maybe that one doesn't make the sound choppy...

on dosbox

i got privateer to run with dosbox on my XP but everything is choppy. tried ctrl f12 to up my cycles but no change. what do i do?

What CPU do you have? Cause if you are using Dosbox 0.61 you need at least 2Ghz to have privateer running at normal speed. BUT on the other hand you might want to try out a CVS version. Here is one CVS version which gulikoza compiled. That version is way faster than DosBox 0.61 - it "only" needs less than 1GHz to have privateer running fast enough.

well, i'm carrying an athlon running at 1700 so i guess i'll go for the cvs. thanks.

People seem to be mixing things up here.

It's a lot easier playing Priv TWO (the second): The Darkening in WinXP or 2K with the patch that original THP created than making it work on win98 with slow down progs.

Concerning Priv ONE (the FIRST, the one which is NOT TWO), the CVS should run it alright. For people without old analog game port Sticks, it is the best solution, because even if you have a machine that runs real DOS fine, your fancy Sidewinder will not work.

that's funny. my Sidewinder seems to work just fine
Is that USB or Gameport? And is it under real DOS or Windows? Cause Edfilho just talked about real DOS and I guess he also meant the USB ones, which won't run there...

THE_WUQKED said:
What CPU do you have? Cause if you are using Dosbox 0.61 you need at least 2Ghz to have privateer running at normal speed. BUT on the other hand you might want to try out a CVS version. Here is one CVS version which gulikoza compiled. That version is way faster than DosBox 0.61 - it "only" needs less than 1GHz to have privateer running fast enough.

hey, Im trying to get p2 to work...but no luck yet. I think i have a speed issue thing.

My pc is a 2.8GHz, so I think I should use DOSbox 0.61.

Could u plz tell me what I need to do? cos im not too good with computers....and ive been trying to get P2 to work for aaaaages

ok, I got dosbox to work...but it just goes to the screen saying "please insert disc 1" (the disc IS in, so thats not what it is)

hey, Im trying to get p2 to work...but no luck yet. I think i have a speed issue thing.

My pc is a 2.8GHz, so I think I should use DOSbox 0.61.

Could u plz tell me what I need to do? cos im not too good with computers....and ive been trying to get P2 to work for aaaaages
For P TWO it is better to use the windows patch, available under the wcnews file section. The part you quoted was about Priv ONE and NOT TWO ;) - It was just a reply to a guy having probs with that one.

Back