Privateer 2 - part of the WC universe??

Dix

Spaceman
Hey all,

just a random nitpicking query for all the WC experts out here :p
I know Privateer 2 has to be canon (it's an original Origin WC game, after all), but is the Tri-system uni actually part of the rest of the WC 1/2/3/etc. universe, or a seperate beastie? thanks..

The Tri-System is a remote region of space. Privateer 2 takes place about a century after Prophecy.

In other words, it has no effect on the other games and can be safely ignored for the most part, right?

Does it even mention any history? The only thing I can think of is the formation of the CIS which might only be a local entity anyway...

No, it’s never wise to ignore any aspect of WC. (And why would anyone want to anyway?)

In P2's case, there are “links”, potential or actual, with the Confederation. (Though I would tend to discount the references in the game to “Confederation” and “confederation” as being among them.)

Well, I wouldn't suggest ignoring it but when you consider that Priv 2 is set something like 600 years after WCP then you can probably ignore it for any mod or history you would want to do since anything you do will likely be set somewhere between 2634 to 2685 or so. However if you were considering doing anything set in 3100 or so then Priv2 would be your main resource. :)

As a practical matter, since there are no official storylines that relate the Tri-System to the Confederation, any references in some fan-created story or mod would of course be speculation.

But to say simply that P2 occurs in the future and can therefore be ignored is problematical, because the basis for dating the game around 100 years after Prophecy is the Tri-System’s own calendar of dates and years and the assumption that those are the same as the Confederation’s calendar. But how can that plausibly be? Only, I would think, if the Tri-System was previously a member of the Confederation (or at least had some pretty significant and involved contact). That possibility is certainly hinted at by EA when it describes the Tri-System at the time of P2 as not “currently” a member of the Confederation. But if the two were indeed so “entwined” earlier, then the possibility exists that relationship began near or at the time of Prophecy, if not before.

On the other hand, if the assumption about the calendars is wrong, then the events of P2 cannot so confidently be dated, though I would think they are then more likely than not to be closer to the time of Prophecy, if not concurrent or even earlier. (And in this case, we’re not presuming any significant prior or on-going contact between the Tri-System and the Confederation.) Certainly the “mystery ship” in the game that appears to be a Talon is suggestive in this way.

Since Privateer 2 is a game set in the Wing Commander universe, there is no reason to assume that the dates we are given are not in the standard calendar.

Priv2 is part of the WC universe but doesn't interact with the other games in any way we know, excpet perhaps for an eastern egg of another.

I just always tried to imagine that there was at one point a large group of colonists or explorers that found a part of space they really like and decided to sever any ties to Earth and the Confederation. Perhaps they did it when the Kilrathi War was happening cause they didn't want to fight anymore. And though it would seem like it happened quite rapidly, they built a new society. Almost like a Scattering if you will. And what you see in the game is what they've built up till now with enough time even to have different governments, pirate factions, new kinds of ships and technologies, etc.

That's just what I imagine anyway. I think maybe the real deal is that P2 was just a game in itself and they just sort of slapped the name Privateer on it. But it's fun for me to imagine that it is part of the WC universe and try to imagine how all those people out there established the Tri-System and managed to cut themselves off from Confed and everything else they left behind.

KrisV said:
Privateer 2 is set around 2790.

Forgive my faulty memory...for some reason I was thinking 31st century. At any rate, the tri system is set a good 200 years in the future (of WCP) most of what you see in the tri system from Priv 2 would not bear a direct relation to what you see in the WC1 through WCP games. (Obviously the bigger events and such would apply on a galactic scale but you can't look at Priv 2 and make unsupported assumptions such as: The Kilrathi have become extinct since there is no mention of them in Priv 2 etc.).

Can we even assume that Privateer 2 is a WC game? It was never intended to be. They canceled the real Wing commander: Privateer 2 when they decided it was too expensive. Instead they decided to run with a game called "The Darkening" that was already in production.
I'm sorry, but Privateer 2 is not in any way a WC game. It's a completely separate entity, and the only link is that talon that shows up. That's just a easter egg, a subtle nod to the original game.
I have a real problem with this desire to Link every single WC game/series/movie/non WC game together and trying to make some sort of logical hybrid. It's much easier, and far more accurate, to look at them as separte entities.
So in conclusion, Privateer 2 is not part of the WC universe. The only link that could possibly be seen is a weak effort at a easter egg.

Maj.Striker said:
Forgive my faulty memory...for some reason I was thinking 31st century. At any rate, the tri system is set a good 200 years in the future (of WCP)
WCP is 2681, so it's 109 years.
Howard Day said:
Can we even assume that Privateer 2 is a WC game?
Yes, Origin says so.

Does Privateer 2: The Darkening take place in the Wing Commander Universe?
Privateer 2: The Darkening takes place in an isolated section of the Wing Commander universe. The Tri-System is not currently a part of the Confederation.

Last edited:
Maj.Striker said:
Forgive my faulty memory...for some reason I was thinking 31st century. At any rate, the tri system is set a good 200 years in the future (of WCP) most of what you see in the tri system from Priv 2 would not bear a direct relation to what you see in the WC1 through WCP games. (Obviously the bigger events and such would apply on a galactic scale but you can't look at Priv 2 and make unsupported assumptions such as: The Kilrathi have become extinct since there is no mention of them in Priv 2 etc.).
Maj. Striker has Alzheimer's. :D It's actually a good 100 years after WCP (check wcnews.com if you don't believe me)
Everyone (here) knows that the Kilrathi were defeated in 2669??

EDIT : Oops, someone beat me by a few seconds :)
KrisV said:
Well, I guess that settles it, thx KrisV!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Priv2 didn't actually start life as a WC game after all (assuming this link is true) - just found this, makes interesting reading:

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1112175

I have to agree the combat is way too easy, but the acting is beautiful - classy, yet corny, everything i love about fmv games.. anyone remember phantasmagoria 2? :)

That's what I was trying to say - no matter what Origin says after the game's done and made, it was never supposed to be a WC game. None of the history or story was written with WC in mind. Therefore, it's foolish to try and justify Priv 2 as a WC game. The pieces just don't fit in any meaningful way.

"The original Privateer was set up with a bunch of systems you traveled between with old jump points created by a long dead alien race(basically a big blue ball you flew into)."

Isn't a jump point supposed to be some naturally occuring phenomenon?

Since Privateer 2 is a game set in the Wing Commander universe, there is no reason to assume that the dates we are given are not in the standard calendar.

Tri-System dates appear to represent months with letters A-L (which is twelve) and days with numbers that can range up to 37. In what sense is this “standard”?

Also, the dates and years are to be found within the in-game database we access in the CCN booths. As the Tri-System runs its own show, so to speak, not being part of the Confederation, we do have reason to be cautious in assuming any equivalency.

Humans appeared on Anhur in 212 BC.

I’d be curious to know the reference for this. (And by “humans”, do you mean us, or simply another human-like race?)

Back