Privateer 2 on Dosbox

AApt24

Spaceman
I followed the instructions for running Privateer 2 to the tee for Dosbox, and the game installed fine, the intro movies and stuff work, but the game freezes completely after the cutscene where he's walking into the bar for the first time, before I get a chance to even see the actual interface of the game. Anyone encounter this, what can I do about it?

if it helps, I'm running an Acer Travelmate Labtop
1.7 GHZ Processor
512 mb Ram
Windows XP.

I got the dos version game completely installed with no problems, but I can never get to the actual game interface. I set the Dark.exe compatibility thing to Windows 95, I even turned off hardware acceleration. I can watch the intro movies with no problems, but the second the last one goes off when he walks into the bar for the first time before you see the gameplay interface for the first time, my computer locks up. Anyway to stop this?

Out of interest, is it freezing at the point where Lev is talking to Joe at the bar? It could be waiting for you to choose a path. Try pressing up or down and see if it highlights an option.

i'm having a similar problem with doxbox, it freezes randomly at transition points where it should be loading up a movie. it seems to be the dynamic core setting causing the problem, but priv2 runs like ass without the dynamic. can't handle textures.

No, I can't even get to the bar to talk to the bar tender. It shows the movie where he walks into the bar, but then the screen goes black and thats it.

i'm having a similar problem with doxbox, it freezes randomly at transition points where it should be loading up a movie. it seems to be the dynamic core setting causing the problem, but priv2 runs like ass without the dynamic. can't handle textures.

How fast is your computer? What version of dosbox are you using?

wow you really got screwed

No, he didn't.

No, I can't even get to the bar to talk to the bar tender. It shows the movie where he walks into the bar, but then the screen goes black and thats it.

Did you apply the P2 patch? What kind of sound hardware do you have?

My computer is 1.7 GHZ processor, 512MB Ram
It says I have something like Realtech HD Audio for sound, although I'm at a loss as to what that means. And I have had trouble installing the P2 patch. Any ideas?

Oh and I'm using Dosbox 7.0

My computer is 1.7 GHZ processor, 512MB Ram
It says I have something like Realtech HD Audio for sound, although I'm at a loss as to what that means. And I have had trouble installing the P2 patch. Any ideas?

It's rare, but certain funky sound cards (potentially like what you have there) don't work with DOSBox or need to switch to an alternate IRQ. Can you dig into your device manager and see what IRQ your sound card uses?

We'd need to know what trouble you're having with the P2 patch before we could help there.

I just ran into something really weird. I uninstalled the game, so I could try doing the patch again because the last time I tried it told me patch successfully installed, but the OSI file didn't work. But when I went to install, I went to install the sound and video cards and none of them were there. I couldn't choose one even if I wanted to. Weird. As for the IRQ thing, I looked at the device manager in control panel, and saw nothing that told me what an IRQ was. Maybe you could tell me how to find it.

Ok I figured everything out. I reinstalled the game and used a different Music card, and redownloaded the patch, and everything works fine now. Thanks again everybody!

Back