Privateer 2 Newbie needs help

EssexD

Spaceman
I bought an old machine, installed windows 95 on it and I am now having problems installing Priv2 95 edition. The program needs pure Dos to install and play the game, but when I restart the computer in Dos mode I can't see my CD drive. I know it has something to do with my config.sys and autoexec.bat but I don't know enough to fix the problem. This is what they look like at the moment.

Config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH

Autoexec.bat

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS

My CD drive is a SONY CD-ROM CDU 701-f or ATAPI CD-ROM compatible (so i've been told)

I also bought a sound card and installed that into the computer, again this works fine in Win95 but not in Dos. I think I need a Dos driver for it but can't find one. The sound card is a AZTECH Sound Galaxy Pro16 II using AZT-1605 Chipset - FCC-ID:I38-MMSN822.

Any help on either of these issues would be great. Thanx.

Hmmm

I have the Win95 version myself and I run it on a machine that has WinME without too much problem.

But one thing you need is the DOS Drivers for your CD-ROM, it should be on a floppy disk, but you will have to install that, and it will change the config.sys and the autoexec.bat files. As for DOS Drivers for the sound card, is the company that made it still in business? If not you may want to try Download.Com or Windrivers.Com one of those two sites may have what you need.

Originally posted by EssexD
I bought an old machine, installed windows 95 on it and I am now having problems installing Priv2 95 edition. The program needs pure Dos to install and play the game,
Any help on either of these issues would be great. Thanx.

Unlike P1 P2 does not need pure DOS. What seems to be strange is that you say you got the 95 edition. Are you sure it isn't the DOS one? The 95 version should work as is.

As for the DOS version, all you have to do is to tell the installer (and later also the executable) to not detect windows in the settigs.
For the installer you might need to make a copy of the DOS shortcut, alter its settings to "not detect windows" and start the install program from that window.

Back