PRIVATEER 2 deluxe version

U

Unregistered

Hey I'm new here sorry for mistakes but I'm not good in englisch I come from Poland.
Sorry meybe you Can help Me becouse I dont have idea what's goin on
So I have Privateer 2 the darkening deluxe version for XP i have also speed patch who I install, When I start Lve Hermes game run out and jump to Windows (black screen) with words APLICATTION ERROR.!!!!!!!!!!
but when i First time start game it was running but jump to Windows when I live Crius. So i Cant play. I try many things change compatibilyty to win 95, 98, 2000 i try run in in screen 640 X 480
in 256 colors without visual composion.
I have Win XP SP2, 1,8Hgz (2,5)Ghz Athlon, 1,5GB ram DDR2 (2 X 256 , 1X 1024), Grapic Card
NVidia Geforce Ti 4200 wint 8XAGP,

SO PLEASE HELP ME
Meybe some wise heads try do path who Fix it or plase tell me what to do becose i love it game

It's been a while since I played Privateer 2, and that was on a Windows 98 system so I could play it in DOS. I'm not sure how it fares in Windows XP, to be honest.

You can try speaking in Polish if you like, we have a couple of native Poles here who may be willing to translate for you. But I think most people will be able to understand your English, as broken as it may be. Good on you for making an effort with it. :)

I have the same problem with the win version. It seems that the speed fix was done too long ago for modern PC's. (the speed fix was afaik done to play on 400-700MHz PC's and not Quad Core 2,7GHz)

That's why i went back and play the Priv2 DOS version in dosbox.
This works very well even on fast modern PC's and you can also play it in windowed mode which is very convenient on big 16:9 monitors where you don't want a 640x480 game stretched into full screen.

Thanks for a advice :)
OK but where can i find dos mode version ???
if you could give me some links to privateer 2 for dos (rapidshare links please) & give me instruction setp by step what to do to install it in dosbox i will be very gratefull. Thak you very much for helping me.

& meybe someone can fix deluxe version for Windows XP?

Thanks for a advice :)
OK but where can i find dos mode version ???
if you could give me some links to privateer 2 for dos (rapidshare links please) & give me instruction setp by step what to do to install it in dosbox i will be very gratefull. Thak you very much for helping me.

& meybe someone can fix deluxe version for Windows XP?

Don't ask for warez links here.

Ok sorry But i have problem to find it, really becouse i heard that many version are broken :( i have orginal privateer 2 deluxe I only want help and good links and advice
Thank you & sorry for problem.

(what you propose)?

I have the exact same problem on Windows 7 64-bit with the original DOS version.

No matter which method I try, the game crashes with an error message (The "Application Error!" for the Windows version, and something else for the DOS version—can't remember.) I've ran from the original discs and images of them, used a perfectly configured DOSBox, used the Windows patch with all the compatibility modes and options. The game always crashes when I exit the PAD or launch from the planet.

No idea what else I can do to get it working. Here's hoping for a fan patch.

Hey I'm new here sorry for mistakes but I'm not good in englisch I come from Poland.
Sorry meybe you Can help Me becouse I dont have idea what's goin on
So I have Privateer 2 the darkening deluxe version for XP i have also speed patch who I install, When I start Lve Hermes game run out and jump to Windows (black screen) with words APLICATTION ERROR.!!!!!!!!!!
but when i First time start game it was running but jump to Windows when I live Crius. So i Cant play. I try many things change compatibilyty to win 95, 98, 2000 i try run in in screen 640 X 480
in 256 colors without visual composion.
I have Win XP SP2, 1,8Hgz (2,5)Ghz Athlon, 1,5GB ram DDR2 (2 X 256 , 1X 1024), Grapic Card
NVidia Geforce Ti 4200 wint 8XAGP,

SO PLEASE HELP ME
Meybe some wise heads try do path who Fix it or plase tell me what to do becose i love it game

Is it crashing when it tries to show one of the movies or when it loads the spaceflight?

PyQQH3P

Its crashing when I will start to fly from Hermes Crius or other planet Films are OK its strange becouse i can hhe sonund of loading before start and then Black Screen Aplicattion error.
And program not responde.

But one when i first start game and start fly from Hermes was ok i fly to crius Films Are ok but when I start leave Crius Aplicattion error.

So i start reinstalling Game but its the same problem.
I will waiting almost seven 7 years before I heard that people Have the same problem (in this forum)
But can you tell me what to do with it. It's my favourite game.
thanks for the responding sorry for mistakes.

Enybody has some ideas ?
or
Did I never paly Privateer 2 :(((((((((((((((((???

With the exception of checking ebay or another second hand dealer for the DOS version (and it does usually work better in dosbox) then you could do some testing to see what works best.

You could try adjusting the directx hardware acceleration settings in windows and test the various levels and see if it affects how often the game crashes. Also try turning off the transition videos within the game. If the installer asks what kind of sound hardware you have try going to a lower level (sounblaster 16 over an AWE32 for example)

Aside from that if you have a spare win95/98 disk laying around you could try running the game from within a win95/98 virtualPC platform from within XP.

Don't ask for warez links here.
Well, since all he/she needs is the DOS version of the exe, i doubt it could cause any trouble to make this exe public as it isn't working stand alone in any way.
It's like a public patch which doesn't works alone too, but still includes the exe.

Dark.exe Dos version:DarkDos.zip
included is the dos version from the CD and the 1.17 patched version. Though both are from a german Privateer and i don't know if they work well with other language versions.

Hint: I've also renamed the exe in my Privateer folder to darkdos.exe so i can have the windows version (renamed to darkwin.exe) at the same time in the same folder. Even renamed, both versions work fine so you can always choose which one you want to play, dos or win.

I have the exact same problem on Windows 7 64-bit with the original DOS version.

No matter which method I try, the game crashes with an error message (The "Application Error!" for the Windows version, and something else for the DOS version—can't remember.) I've ran from the original discs and images of them, used a perfectly configured DOSBox, used the Windows patch with all the compatibility modes and options. The game always crashes when I exit the PAD or launch from the planet.

No idea what else I can do to get it working. Here's hoping for a fan patch.
What has windaft compatibility mode to do with dosbox? Dosbox is a virtual OS thus you have to adjust the settings from dosbox and not the windaft settings. (as you may notice i hate windows :p )

I had to create a special configuration file for Dosbox so privateer runs, as the default setting made it run way too fast. And privateer 2 has renownedly problems with too fast systems. Thus i reduced the speed in the conf and set "core=simple". The default core=auto caused problems when viewing movies as they caused the game to freeze when they ended.

Well, since all he/she needs is the DOS version of the exe, i doubt it could cause any trouble to make this exe public as it isn't working stand alone in any way.
It's like a public patch which doesn't works alone too, but still includes the exe.

Dark.exe Dos version:DarkDos.zip
included is the dos version from the CD and the 1.17 patched version. Though both are from a german Privateer and i don't know if they work well with other language versions.

Hint: I've also renamed the exe in my Privateer folder to darkdos.exe so i can have the windows version (renamed to darkwin.exe) at the same time in the same folder. Even renamed, both versions work fine so you can always choose which one you want to play, dos or win.

I guess if this works, this is probably a decent way to "downgrade" your deluxe edition to a DOS edition and be able to run in the more stable DOSBox.

I also think some sort of compatibility tweak may yet fix this. What about Mincemeat's superpatch? http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=20337 Posts 8 and 55 have updated versions.

I WILL TRY IT & Tell what Happen meybe its solution Will SEE
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR HELP

(give me 3 - 4) days to test it becouse i have very much work per this few days :(

I tried many options to do the path & it didn't work, always the same aplicattion error when I try start to fly from heremes. Meybe someone who has more experience with this program (Microsoft Toolkit Compatybilyty try to do path) But i Think problrm is with memeory or graph.
Many people has the same problem on the all world meybe someone help us.
Please &
Thank YOU!
(sorry for mist
akes)

Running in Win 7 64

I already had the original Win95 version running in XP (complete with a slow down patch) and now have it running perfectly in Windows 7 64 bit.

I simply copied the dark folder from my XP install and copied it to the program files(x86) directory on my Win 7 drive and created a shortcut to it. Set the dark.exe properties to 'run as adminsitrator' but do not set any compatability settings as this tended to break the mouse in the nav screen. Works perfectly, just had to use the manual setting of the joystick values in the config file to get the joystick (digital MS Sidewinder) to then calibrate correctly from the options screen and I was away. Works a treat!

privateer 2 on windows seven 64bit

hi,

i tried to do as you did, but my knowledge is to little to follow your steps as you described it

would you be so kind to describe it with more detail - every step?

i really like to get this running, big fan of the game - the only one i'd play now...

thanks a LOT!

I already had the original Win95 version running in XP (complete with a slow down patch) and now have it running perfectly in Windows 7 64 bit.

I simply copied the dark folder from my XP install and copied it to the program files(x86) directory on my Win 7 drive and created a shortcut to it. Set the dark.exe properties to 'run as adminsitrator' but do not set any compatability settings as this tended to break the mouse in the nav screen. Works perfectly, just had to use the manual setting of the joystick values in the config file to get the joystick (digital MS Sidewinder) to then calibrate correctly from the options screen and I was away. Works a treat!

That's neat, I'll try it out. I spent a bundle ordering the deluxe editon, sealed with all the trimmings, only to find out I couldn't play the game and having to order the DOS version. This'll be a good chance to see what differences if any have been made (the DOS version has a couple of bugs, like the CCN entries for the Kindred, CIS and Avuncular Order of Hom not showing up).

ok, thanks - i got it working...

i didn't have a working xp-version

so i used dos-box, mounted a drive c c:\dark (you have to create c:\dark first in windows), then drive e e:

i installed the game from (the mounted) e: to the mounted c:\dark with dos-box.

then i exited dosbox, copied all the windows-patch-files to c:\dark and then started with the launcher

works perfektly!

with win seven 64bit

Back