Privateer 2 and Pilgrims

Wojo

Rear Admiral
Just wanting to start a random discussion... Wouldn't it be interesting to think of the whole Privateer 2/Tri-system thing as the decendants of Ivar Chu McDaniel? Would that explain the time difference, the Talon turning up, the weird navigation jumping game mechanic/hopper drive thing, all those little things that make you go "Huh? This is Wing Commander how?"

I know why the game shipped with the Privateer label (good old marketing strikes again) and that on the surface the people of the Tri system appear far removed from a bunch of religious zealots, and the tech is different...

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting bridge - could be a good fan-fic or mod... And I was curious to find out what other people thought.

I think I've mentioned before that I'm curious to find out more about Pilgrims - we know there was a war, but with what tools? What was their tech like? Did they have carriers and ships of the line and fighters? Or some other tactic?

M.

You don't need necessarily Pilgrims to get weird people. Just take any country, walk far enough in any direction, and people seem to turn weird...

But for the discussion's sake: They *could* have reached Tri with the Hopper drive and some *could* have gotten marooned there, developing their own traditions, tech and way of living, but in the game we see no hint to that. And philosphically there's a really wide leap to get them any close to the retros in Privateer 1....

For Pilgrim info - start here, and join the WCpedia project to unearth more: https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Pilgrims

Last edited by a moderator:
I should, I really should (join the wcpedia proj.).

I've read the Wing Commander Movie handbook, and although it gives a great overview of the whole Pilgrim situation, and some great technical explanation of hopper and akwende drives, it's very scant on the ship tech, which is a shame.

It's said that they had their own fleet, built in their own territory. To me that indicates that their designs, whilst Terran, wouldn't have necessarily reflected what we have come to know and love in Confed designs. One wonders if Confed took inspiration from 'superior' Pilgrim tech or not... Even the assumption that their technology was superior is a far stretch - in developing their mental capacity did they move beyond the need for technological progression?

Yep, I'm just asking all these questions that no-one has the answers to. But I love hypothetical discussions. Especially in this relatively unexplored era. (If I were to make some vastly inaccurate extrapolation about, say, the Tiger's Claw/Tiger Claw naming, then I'm sure I would cop more ire, yeah? Ha ha.)

Thats what forums are all about, all the kids are doing it these days!

I noticed that, should be Bill Wilson. (Or 'William' I suppose, but it's credited as Bill). One of the many reasons I've finally requested to sign on for the WCPedia project.

Well, on the surface it's a bit too "small universe" for me--that peculiar illness sci-fi fans get that forces everything in a massive universe to fit together in secret ways. It's cool if that's what you are into, but I don't think it makes for a healthy universe in the long run.

It also does nothing to deal with the real problems of Privateer 2's background: no connection with known space in the 28th century, but a history of humanity that is said to extend 2,000 years (on Anhur) that also includes 20th century and earlier human social references (ie, the Red Baron, Tex Carver). I bet you can wrap that up in a story, but it would be difficult in this one.

Also note that Pilgrim Truth, not published but canonized in Star Soldier, takes this Pilgrim mythology in a different way--we see what happened to Ivar Chu and we basically eliminate Pilgrims entirely well before Privateer 2 happens.

I guess I was thinking that Privateer 2 is set more than 2000 years after the Pilgrim Exodus, so waaaaaaaaaaay in the future of the Wing Commander Universe.

And NOW it's getting too far fetched. The End.

Was there anything connecting Retros to Pilgrims? Or is the Church of Man still just their own little thing in Gemini? Probably.

So has there been any official explination as to how a separate human society apparently connected to Earth evolved on Anhur for 2000 years? Or is one of those "Look over there, a 3-headed monkey!" kind of questions?

I guess I was thinking that Privateer 2 is set more than 2000 years after the Pilgrim Exodus, so waaaaaaaaaaay in the future of the Wing Commander Universe.

400 - McDaniel 'ascended' in 2311, and his followers had all left Sol by the end of the 2300s. Privateer 2 is in 2789.

I guess it's possible that some of the small-fry Pilgrims, the ones more attracted to the grandeur and ritual and the outcast mythology, might have joined the Church of Man after the 2650s, but there's nothing to definitively link the two movements and it's probably best to avoid too much speculation.

Back