Priv2 seems to be a common problem...

Soma

Spaceman
Help!! I just got PRIV2DE for Win95 and I'm having problems running it. The install and intro go along just fine but when I actually start the game the sound stops (then every once and a while starts for a few seconds) when I'm standing around (it plays ok when I'm in a cutscene). The game also locks up (usually when I enter the PAD screen)and it takes forever (and I mean like 30 secs to 2 mins)to switch screens. What the f*** is going on?!? I've a 300mhz with 220MB... Oh yeah I've Win98 too...

[Edited by Soma on 02-28-2001 at 22:09]

Interesting; don't recall seeing this problem before. I don't think it's a faulty CD; perhaps it has something to do with DirectX. Try disabling sound acceleration in DxDiag (which you'll find in C:\Program Files\DirectX\Setup) and see if that helps.

ok, gotta go to work now but I'll try that when I get home, I was messin aound with PRiv2 some more and the load times are insanely long (especially exiting the PAD system and entering a new area), when I first start up the game it runs ok for about 5 minutes then all of the sudden it really bogs down, any idea of what could be happening? I mean, after all I've waaay more the recommended system, I would think I'd have trouble slowing down the game not trying to speed it up... Thanx for any help

Allright, I didn't see any option to disable sound acceleration, the only things I could disable were DirectDraw and Direct 3D (I've DirectX 6.1, btw) under the display tab (just for the hell of it I tried both to no avail). I just tried running the game again and it was going along fine then all of the sudden it ground to a halt. The game seems to stop when I try to exit the PAD screen, it also seems that the game stops when I dont have sound (but it works just fine in the cinematic portions of the game) also I eventually made it to takeoff and was flying aound with full music but no sound fx... I've tried most of the rudimentary problem-solving but I've no hardware or software conflicts, when I tested everything in DirectX it all worked out fine... Found the option to turn down sound acceleration and all it did was make the sound real choppy

[Edited by Soma on 03-01-2001 at 23:30]

Just a thought... possibly installing the version of DX that came with P2 would help.

Question: Do all other CDs play properly?

TC

Well, I tried calling Origin tech support (finally got a hold of them after calling 4 different #'s) and of course they were no help (they didn't even have a copy of PrivDE in the office!),their suggestion was to upgrade to DirectX 7 which made no difference... What's your guy's opinion, is this a video or audio problem? I don't see any problems, it's just when I'm standing a location (bar, customs, etc) that it cuts out, cinema scenes work until I get to a decision, then when Owen talks the sound comes out of only the left speaker and only for the first highlight, F***, this is irritating!

Hmm....

Maybe it is a CD problem. It's beginning to sound like it's having trouble reading the discs at full speed. Have you tried playing the game on someone else's machine?

Back