priv.tre

wcmaniak

Spaceman
I'm playing WC Privateer right now and I've noticed that some of the sounds have static instead. I checked the directory and it's missing the priv.tre file. I got Privateer from an abandonware site. I guess they didn't include that large priv.tre file. I'm wondering if anyone has that file and can send it to me through ICQ, Direct Connect, or Kazaa, or upload it to a site.

It would help me greatly. Thanks!:D

Oh...oops, I never knew abandonware was considered warez, aside from a part of the name. I read that abandonwares are not illegal because the games are not on the shelves anymore. Therefore, the producer does not make money from them anymore. In turn, it is not illegal because you're not taking money away from anyone.

Sorry if I offended anyone.:confused:

Originally posted by wcmaniak
Oh...oops, I never knew abandonware was considered warez, aside from a part of the name. I read that abandonwares are not illegal because the games are not on the shelves anymore. Therefore, the producer does not make money from them anymore. In turn, it is not illegal because you're not taking money away from anyone.

Sorry if I offended anyone.:confused:

no, well it is ok, fair mistakes are fair mistakes, but it is still copywright infringment and there is no legalistic difference between the 2 abandonware is made up as a way of convincing people that it isn't illegal when it is.

ohh and weasel i had just played a game of homeworld and had capslock on because of that

Just for your information,

there's stil a copy of Privateer (EA-Classix version) costing around Rp.35,000 at a computer shop at Jakarta, Indonesia.

Abandonwares are usually termed for games older than 5 years, no longer sold and the company cannot offer any tech support for it.

Yet, OSI still have that tech support homepage for their older games (including Priv)...

But it doesn't matter either way, since said games are still protected under copyrights which clearly state that unauthorized copying and/or distribution is prohibited by LAW.

End of story.

mate get privateer bought, it's sooo much better, I've abandon warezed it and bought it. the bought version is 1000 times better, you get the manual, full sound/speech/music.... don't settle for abandonware, especially for privateer. it's bullshit.

I can't imagine playing Privateer without the speech. That's part of what makes the game so much fun, IMO... it really adds to the atmosphere, enhancing all the characters, and stuff. :)

--Eder

Originally posted by TheFraix
Abandonwares are usually termed for games older than 5 years, no longer sold and the company cannot offer any tech support for it.

Yet, OSI still have that tech support homepage for their older games (including Priv)...

Thats not what tech support said when I asked for a replacement disk for WC4. They said "We no longer support that product anymore." From the horses mouth.

I won't refute the point though, retail should be sought over crappy rips... within reason. ($200 for a copy of Kilrathi Saga on Ebay is a bit much...)

Ohh and I just went to the technical support area... not a SINGLE Wing Commander game in their new "Support Database."

Hahahaha... yeah... support Wing Commander...

Originally posted by t.c.cgi

Thats not what tech support said when I asked for a replacement disk for WC4. They said "We no longer support that product anymore." From the horses mouth.

Hehe... the fact that they don't have discs lying around for a 6 year old game isn't exactly suprising, nor is the fact that they're not going to give support over the phone. There are, sadly, very few people at EA now with any experience at all with Wing Commander. Support *is* available through the archived tech support page from when OSI's tech support didn't suck (a good while ago.) or through the numerous people with a great deal of experience here, in alt.games.wing-commander, in #wingnut or in other places spread about the net.

I won't refute the point though, retail should be sought over crappy rips... within reason. ($200 for a copy of Kilrathi Saga on Ebay is a bit much...)

It's a much better deal to just buy the three games for a total of around $40... KS was a crappy port anyway.

There's no legal requirement that a company provide support for a product... and even if there were, the response to a company breaking some sort of contract would be to sue them, not to start stealing their product.

You promised I could borrow your car, and you didn't let me! That means I can legally kill you!

I never said to pirate the game, I was just telling him that Origin/EA doesn't support it anymore like he claims.

Pirating aside. I run through the games first before I try any cheats. I only use them to find things I may have missed on my run throughs. Then I run through the games again without the cheats. I think that is the only reason anyone should use such things. The whole thrill is using your skill to scratch some cats.

FYI, using the Infinite Ammo and Invulnerability cheats in Privateer will terminate all current missions as failures when you land, regardless of the outcome. I made the mistake of not knowing that when I first played the game. :eek:

It's still immaterial to this person's problem though. The problem about the static, etc. is that emm386 (or whatever mem manager is being used) must be configured to allow for 16MB of RAM. Any more, and the speech gets all screwy.

LOAF made a better point than I did. Foiled again.

Back