Priv running but....sound!!!

Lori

Spaceman
I have sound but it's very, shall I say, choppy. It sounds like some instrument sounds just aren't playing. It's quite annoying. The music is much louder than the speech, I can barely hear the speech. About 10mins or so into the game, the music starts to stutter or even freeze up on one particular sound and it doesn't clear. These are my files, anyone have any idea?

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@ECHO OFF
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\SBPCI;c:\SOUND;
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET PROMPT=$p$g
LH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1
LH C:\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM
REM--SOUNDCARDSTUFF--
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6 J200
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
LH C:\SBPCI\APINIT.COM
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
C:
CD PRIVATER
PRIV

CONFIG.SYS

REM [Header]
REM == PISETUP Begin Delete ==
REM == PISETUP End Delete ==

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]
DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 2592 /I=B000-B7FF
STACKS=18,256
FILES=25
BUFFERS=25
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\MTMCDAI.SYS /D:CD1
SHELL=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM C:\WINDOWS /P
Lastdrive=D

THANKS!!!

These are the options you should have installed with:

Digital:

Sound Blaster Pro (16 doesn't always work properly)
I/O: 220h
IRQ: 7
DMA: 1

MIDI:

General MIDI
I/O: 330

You can change around volume settings with one of the tools in your C:\SBPCI directory.

I was looking that lori's config.sys. Shouldn't the EMM386.EXE RAM line be 16384 and not 2592? At least that's what I have.

No - more memory than 16384 confuses Priv. 2592, on the other hand, is ridiculously low :).

Originally posted by Quarto
No - more memory than 16384 confuses Priv. 2592, on the other hand, is ridiculously low :).

That's what I heard when I first created my Boot disk for P1 about two years ago. Do you think increase her memory to 16384 would help?

I'm not 100% sure - you'd have to ask Stinger. However, my first guess would be... hell yeah. This is Privateer, not Space Invaders after all :). It requires quite a bit of memory to run with all its bells and whistles.

Priv

I originally had my RAM mem set at 16384, but one of the things I tried in getting the sound better (because I read in archive that Priv doesn't like too much mem) was to lower it to 2592. Doesn't seem to matter which number it is, doesn't help the sound.

I also had my files and buffers at high and tried getting rid of the high....once again, made no difference. I have changed them to 40.

I've also swtiched back and forth between loading the game w/just SB and SBPro but it also hasn't made a difference.

Stinger, I looked around in SBPCI for a tool to change settings but I didn't find anything, or maybe just missed where it is I can change settings.

Any other ideas???

Thanks

I meant in the Privateer install program; you don't need to change your sound card's actual settings, just the settings Privateer wants to use.

2592 should actually be enough for Privateer; 16384 is the max it can handle without going insane. Up to 16384, it has no problems, though, which is why it's the amount I always recommend.

Back