Priv and SB Live

ByteDoc

Spaceman
Ok, I have gone through a couple of threads and tried many different things - without succes...

What I want to know is:

Is there ANYBODY out there who has accomplished playing Privateer WITH SOUND/FX who runs Win98SE (or DOS) and has a SBLive ????????

I have this system and that card, and I recently tried to re-play Priv - but my joy didn't last long...
In the intro, at the point when the ships show up, there should be a sound - but I either hear static and the game stucks while static (continues after a few seconds) or if I try other configurations I don't hear anything at all from sound/fx...

Music works fine though...
I configured music card as general midi, P330 I7

I hear static with sound configuration A240 I7 D1, other speech configs don't produce any sound at all...

I know this is not the first thread to this topic, but I hope to get a solution for my problem......

HELP ME PLZ

I GOT IT - PRIVATEER IS RE-BORN

ok, first of all my files:
(I use a boot disk with these files)
config.sys
===
[menu]
menuitem=BASIC
menuitem=PRIVATEER
menudefault=BASIC,15
menucolor=7,0
[BASIC]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /testmem:eek:ff
[PRIVATEER]
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS /testmem:eek:ff
[COMMON]
files=40
buffers=40
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF
lastdrive=z
===
I just added the menu for tries but didn't need it at the end...

autoexec.bat
===
SET BLASTER=A240 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
rem SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
c:\mouse\mouse.com
path c:\windows\command
===

ok, but now for the GOOD NEWS:

I gave it one more try today, and tried something new...
I had a look at this directory:
c:\Programme\Creative\SBLive\DosDrv

there I started the SBECFG.EXE
and, I found out something interesting...

every other config-file I searched through showed 1 as my DMA, so did my initial autoexec.bat, the ctsyn.ini and many more files...

but with SBECFG.EXE I found out that my DMA values for SB16 emulation are 3,7...

so here we go, I booted from my boot disk again, started install from my priv-directory, changed speech card to A240, I7, D3...
I started priv...
waited for the intro, to the point where the ships come...
and then I heard it:
SOUND - clear SOUND, no static, no stuck game - SOUND!!!!!

I got down to my knees in front of my screen and felt overwhelming happiness.....
no the good old days may return, where retros and other foes filled my screen - time to deliver the cargo and pay the bills *g*

I hope you can understand my excaltation, but as this is a forum full of WC-freaks I feel comfortable in sharing this with you ;)

I wanna thank all users here who inspired me to try this and that and not give up to finally get Privateer running again.....
Though I got the final clue by myself, it was all you who helped me with other things...THX

And for all the others whom I have helped with my experience now - pay it forward to others to help build a better world ;)

HAVE FUN

ByteDoc

Well done, and thanks for posting your successful config. Too many people get excited in their success that they forget to do this for other people's sake.

Back