Priv 2 problem

Crazydog7

Spaceman
Thanks so much for this section of the board guys. I got Darkening to run (thanks to whoever it was that said you had to create the darkening directory first) but the problem is it runs too fast. I can go to planets just fine and I can target but they move by me so fast i can't hit a damn thing.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to correct it?

and since somoone now already made a new priv2 tech thread:

wassup with game locking up (u just hear engines) when u take off from planets and go into spaceflight mode? I tried all compatibility modes but still nought. this happens still after upgrade of video card and drivers.

Crazydog7 said:
Thanks so much for this section of the board guys. I got Darkening to run (thanks to whoever it was that said you had to create the darkening directory first) but the problem is it runs too fast. I can go to planets just fine and I can target but they move by me so fast i can't hit a damn thing.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a way to correct it?

You need to apply the speech patch.
https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/4497
http://download.wcnews.com/files/p2/priv2_slowdownpatch.zip

infinite said:
and since somoone now already made a new priv2 tech thread:

wassup with game locking up (u just hear engines) when u take off from planets and go into spaceflight mode? I tried all compatibility modes but still nought. this happens still after upgrade of video card and drivers.

You need to provide more information. Are you playing in DOS or Windows? What version of Windows? The Deluxe Edtion or the DOS version patched up?

The Deluxe Edition of Privateer 2 uses Microsoft's DirectX 5.0 technology in Windows 95. For DirectX games to work properly, all of your hardware components must be 100% compatible and certified for use with DirectX 5.0. If you have a component that is not certified, you will need to contact the manufacturer for a DirectX 5.0 driver, if one is available at this time. Following these instructions to find out if all of your components are certified:

Left-click on the Windows 95 'START' button, then on 'Find', and then on 'Files or Folders'.
In the 'Named' box, type 'DXSETUP.EXE'.
In the 'Look in' box, make sure that your C:\ drive is selected.
Left-click on 'Find Now'.
In the 'Name' column, double-click on the small icon beside 'DXSETUP.EXE'.
Once DXSETUP has loaded, look at the column on the right-hand side. If you see any blank lines or lines that say 'No hardware support', you will need to contact your hardware manufacturer for a certified DirectX driver.

Always start Privateer 2 with CD #1 in your CD-ROM drive, regardless of how far you have made it into the game. Make sure that you don't have DOS CD-ROM drivers loading in your CONFIG.SYS because they will often conflict with Windows 95's 32-bit drivers and cause problems with DirectX games. Also make sure that you have 50-100 MB of hard drive space available so that Windows 95 can create the swap file that it needs.

Also, close all other applications before you enter the game. If you <Ctrl> <Alt> <Del> in Windows, you will be able to see any active programs - just 'End Task' on every program except for Explorer, and then enter the game. Disable your screen saver as well in case it is conflicting with the game.

You can avoid some crashes by disabling Video Transitions in the Options menu (Alt-O in the game).

You can also prevent some crashes, lockups, and video problems by disabling DirectX 3D acceleration in the DXSETUP program. You might also be able to avoid problems by turning down your hardware acceleration. To adjust your hardware acceleration:

Click on the Windows 95 'START' button, then on 'Settings', then on 'Control Panel'.
Double-click on the 'System' icon in this window, then click on the 'Performance' tab at the top.
Click on the 'Graphics' button and then adjust your hardware acceleration to 'None'.
Click on 'OK', then on 'Close', and let Windows 95 restart your machine.
When you are back up to Windows 95, try to run the game.
If the game runs well, keep the hardware acceleration set to 'None' until you install a certified display driver. If the problem persists, adjust your hardware acceleration back to 'Full' and contact your manufacturer for a certified driver.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm running xp sp2 pro ver 2002 and I've installed the game from a customized CD1 after using the 'Privateer 2 DOS to Windows Deluxe Edition Patch Version 2.0' with my DOS original.

Messing with the acceleration settings did not work.

I use a RADEON 9600 with my Athlon XP 1800 cpu on a VIA motherboard.

We'd also need to know your sound card details to make a determination, but it's increasingly onboard sound chips have particular incompatibilities with old games. If disabling all the above DirectX stuff still doesn't work, the most convenient solution sounds like running your original DOS version in DOSBox.

ChrisReid said:
We'd also need to know your sound card details to make a determination, but it's increasingly onboard sound chips have particular incompatibilities with old games. If disabling all the above DirectX stuff still doesn't work, the most convenient solution sounds like running your original DOS version in DOSBox.
I'm having the same problem. However, Prophecy is fine with the high res patch, video fix, Logitech profiler, and the ashopa Glide Wrapper. My current setup: Windows XP (SP2) w/ATI x800XL (latest drivers) and Audigy2 Zs (latest drivers).

The video for Prophecy 2 is fine, but when I go to space, I get a black screen and the game locks up. I tried compatibility mode for 95 and 98 with no results. I am also using the Windows Deluxe Install CD, but have the three original DOS CDs.

I'm going to try disabling the DX stuff next and if that fails, I'm going to try using the original CDs.

EDIT:

DX changes didn't work, so I'm going to try installng the DOS version.

voiddweller said:
I'm having the same problem. However, Prophecy is fine with the high res patch, video fix, Logitech profiler, and the ashopa Glide Wrapper. My current setup: Windows XP (SP2) w/ATI x800XL (latest drivers) and Audigy2 Zs (latest drivers).

Prophecy is a very different engine, so what works for that game may not work for Privateer 2 or others.

voiddweller said:
The video for Prophecy 2 is fine, but when I go to space, I get a black screen and the game locks up. I tried compatibility mode for 95 and 98 with no results. I am also using the Windows Deluxe Install CD, but have the three original DOS CDs.

Try copying space.iff, spacegeo.iff and spacetex.iff to Privateer 2's install directory.

voiddweller said:
I'm going to try disabling the DX stuff next and if that fails, I'm going to try using the original CDs.

We've recently overcome some nasty P2 bugs in DOSBox, so if you go back to your original CDs, try following: https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#p2

ChrisReid said:
Prophecy is a very different engine, so what works for that game may not work for Privateer 2 or others.

Try copying space.iff, spacegeo.iff and spacetex.iff to Privateer 2's install directory.

We've recently overcome some nasty P2 bugs in DOSBox, so if you go back to your original CDs, try following: https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#p2

Thanks for the suggestions.

The Windows XP installation didn't work, so I installed DOSbox. The install was fine, but the joystick calibration is having some issues receiving commands for the Y Axis. I'm not sure if it has to do with the Logitech profiler, but I'll play around with it for a little bit.

ChrisReid said:

well that's not very convenient, as I don't have the power to run stuff in dosbox with good fps -- add to that, dosbox still has sound clipping issues they still haven't sorted.

i have a sound blaster live... in the spirit of making wc games playable forever we should look more into this problem. I will continue my investigations on this issue but I'm not a hardcore techie. :(

infinite said:
well that's not very convenient, as I don't have the power to run stuff in dosbox with good fps -- add to that, dosbox still has sound clipping issues they still haven't sorted.

Playing old DOS games is often not convenient, but DOSBox is the most steady and reliable way to do it (and probably more convenient than the DOS to Windows patch method). I haven't heard any significant sound issues with the game either. How fast is your computer? Privateer 2 requires less resources than WC3 or WC4.

infinite said:
i have a sound blaster live... in the spirit of making wc games playable forever we should look more into this problem. I will continue my investigations on this issue but I'm not a hardcore techie. :(

Well, we've spent considerable time making sure it works smoothly in DOSBox, and the fact that the DOS to Windows fan patch exist is very much in the spirit of getting WC games playable on newer computers. We have far better tools to play P2 today than we did just a few years ago.

Have you tried Mincemeat's compatibility patch? http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=20337

ChrisReid said:
How fast is your computer?

I told ya.. Athlon xp 1800 running on 266 mhz FSB with RADEON 9600 128mb. with these specs, whats the best screen output method for playing priv2 then? surface? overlay?

I have a different problem with Priv 2. Whenever I install and run it, Priv 2 aborts with the message:
Privateer 2 Fatal Error - cdromread - READ STATUS ERROR=ffff8103

then there is a bunch of ones and zeros

then a line that says Wonga = 13500 Creds

I had one problem installing, when the AutoPlay runs the Shortcut to DOS doesn't work, but I ran the Install program on the disk and it installed fine.

It has done this on two different computers, both of which run Windows XP.

I have checked all the threads about Priv 2, but couldn't find anything like this. If anyone has seen this before or can fix it, I would greatly appriecate your help

I was going to make a similar entry about P2. I have the Win95 version and can't seem to get it to even install on my PC. I checked the game guide FAQs on installing it to no avail.

I also had that problem with that read error and the "wonga = 13500 credits" when using VDMS to play Privateer 2. I couldnt solve it but heard it could be overcome by using another method of adressing the cdrom (IOCTL). I then tried to play it with the DOS2Windows Patch. That worked for me, while not copying the gameflow.iff file to my new installation disk (I use the german version, the gameflow.iff you can download is english which results in a game crash when trying to save a game). Unfortunately I quite often canot start from a planet because I get an application error from dark.exe just before I should sit in my ship (after that initiation process displayed when leaveing a planet). Has someone a solution for this problem?
greetings
Ohrensessel

Yes!!!

Same problem here...applixation error and ATI Radeon 9800 and win xp.
Have spent 3 days on it with NO luck at all

Apologies...I should have added

I own both the DOS and the Windows versions of Priv2(old elite player) but have mostly only used the Win de luxe version.

DOSBOX worked but impossible to calibrate JS and the speed!....I ejected at 9500

I tried the DosBox route(tenth time i have installed p2 in 4 days) and i managed to get into the air but joystick calibration was on one axis only and inverted while the throttle calibration was equally useless. Of course, i had every bug (naturally)
before i even got this far.(saitek 52..JS & T....plus Thrustmaster AB2)

So i thought :"WTF!!! I am at least spaceborne but ...Ohh!! the spiralling stars!! & Wow!! what velocity on my little cheap fraith!!!. At 9500 my cooling fan was screaming it s head off and so i ejected(alt x).

I have used every trick that I have read with the win 95 version..no sound accel,
no 3d accel(no game at all), mouse only, with/without patch, with/without speed patch,FAT32 HD NFTS HD,different folder names, 95 compliant. 98 compliant. + or - 256 col, and i still get the "application error" at lift off. However i am NOT prepared to insert dx5 drivers into this PC(win XP home 3.2GH Radeon 9800) and stuff up the Freelancer. Dark Space one(unimpressed), Freespace 1&2, WCP and WCSO, Iw 1&2 Tachyon, Privateer remake< that i have manged to get to run(often thanks to CIC).
Although I am a PC moron over last 20 years only Ultima 7a and 7b with sound in windows and the crusader pair have beaten me. I still have an old win 98 P3 used to play UFO/daggerfall etc and could use it but it seems so defeating.
However IFF I have to insert dx5 drivers then so be it.

Thank you to all of you CIC guys(and gals) for the help over the last ?10 yrs or so.
I wont give up on the win 95 version but I doubt that i will win.

Back