Priv 1 Boot disk not working

I believe that the Sidewinder Pro is a digital stick. Digital joysticks won't work in DOS, no matter what you do.

I think HCl is having a go at getting Privateer to work in Windows. But it's very difficult since JEMM, the memory manager Privateer uses, is completely incompatible with Windows.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I think HCl is having a go at getting Privateer to work in Windows. But it's very difficult since JEMM, the memory manager Privateer uses, is completely incompatible with Windows.
It's relieving that someone is at least working on it. *Great sigh of relief*

Which is not to say that HCl will necessarily succeed (this isn't meant as slight against him).

BTW, you don't need to quote the last post before you reply. ;)

So HCl is really working on Privateer? I E- mailed him a week ago and asked him about this but noooooo reply...

Busy man!:p

Ive managed to run privateer in my Windows98 partition /Dos Mode but I dont have sound and music. Dont know why:confused:

No I got SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum.

I have engaged the emulator of the card and in DOS mode is an emulated SoundBlaster 16.

It works fine but I dont know, some games have problems with it.....:(

I thought that SB Live emulated SB 16 in DOS as well. But the only way Privateer starts up is if I set the sound and music card to None.

I believe the SBlive emulation being active causes Priv to hang, at least for me. This is with or without sound activated in installation. So:

sbeinit.exe ON sound in install OFF = hang
sbeinit.exe ON sound in install ON = hang
sbeinit.exe OFF sound in install off = runs fine
sbeinit.exe OFF sound in install on = privateer gives sound settings wrong error message.l

I wonder if it'd be worth checking the BLASTER variable in your AUTOEXEC.BAT? You could also try finding out what DMA/IRQ the SB16 emulation uses.

I'm seeing the same problem: I've gotten Privateer to run using a boot disk, but only without loading SBLive's SB16 emulator drivers. When the emulator loads, regardless of the settings I choose for the SB16's IRQ, even with sound disabled in the Privateer install program, the computer hangs as soon as I type "priv".

It sounds like it's a common problem at this point ... I'd post my own autoexec, config, and hardware details, but I'm not sure if that would be considered hijacking the thread. Is it kosher to start a new thread in this case?

Thanks

BK

Back