Pre-WC Kilrathi design (very WIP)

Chernikov

Spaceman
Since y'all are impatient for eyecandy (maybe better compared to crackers in this case...), pictures first off. Sorry for the raw post, but I dont have time to polish and look up proper URL tags.

First incarnation
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/errant_variable/kittyrailgun022205.jpg

Then my work went splat, so I went back to an earlier version and came out with
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/errant_variable/66bf6eb4.jpg

time: 3 hours for each

concept:

During the middle stages of the expansion of the Kilrathi Empire, particle shields for capital ships were developed that could withstand fighter-mounted weapons with impunity. Irked at being held back for "inconsequential" missions during fleet battles, the elite of the Kilrathi pilots clamored for a new design, allowing them to mount the most powerful weapons available - and an innovative designer answered with what would now be considered a miniature corvette, albeit with more problems than anticipated.
The design itself is moderately atmosphere capable, landing on the two lower fins and retracting nosegear, and handles respectably well (in the range of 30 DPS in all categories, with a very respectable top speed of 350KPS when not firing the weapon actively). The armor carried was the heaviest on a vessel of that scale until that time. The primary armament was a capital-scale railgun, throwing massive slugs able to punch straight through the then-imperfect particle shielding and breach the hull of many smaller ships, and even be a threat to larger capital vessels. However, the size of powerplant required to produce this much force fatally irradiated the pilot of the prototype, prompting a relocation of the cockpit to the end of the port wing and elimination of the premier sensor suite installed there. Ammunition exhaustion was also a concern, but as the ship was designed to fight in fleet actions this was often more a bogeyman than a true problem, and the 100 carried slugs lasted quite some time. Later incarnations equipped point-defence weapons (not currently modeled), better shielding, a revamped sensor suite, and as miniature powerplants improved even early plasma weaponry and some of the first corvette-scale shields created by the Kilrathi. However, by the time the design reached it's full potential the power carried by smaller fighters made it more obsolete than useful, and soon before it's retirement the attrition suffered to medium hunter-killer fighters eliminated many of the pilots who would have complained.

Comment/complain/flame away! Also lemme know what kind of point defence weapons to slap on this (since it's such an early design I'm thinking a Stormfire-type weapon or two).

Looks like a kilrathi version of the WVP-Devestator. One Superbiggun with a fighter build around it.
Nice Idea.
But the desing fits more the era of WC3/4. By the time of WC1/2 (and befor I guess) they didn't use asymetric and sharpedged desings.

TIRex said:
But the desing fits more the era of WC3/4. By the time of WC1/2 (and befor I guess) they didn't use asymetric and sharpedged desings.

Well, that may have been an artistic or technical limitation at the time, but Victory Streak tells us that the Kilrathi do have a thing for assymmetry in general. It shouldn't be assumed that we saw all Kilrathi fighters during WC1/2, nor that all fighters in WC3 are new designs.

Reasons for artistic choices:
1) I like the assymetric vertex look
2) For the most part, im building this vertex-by-vertex (so I'm a control freak. :p)
3) I built some Kitty ships curved, and they didnt look quite right... however subdivide/smooth is your friend (great effect on simple models like this). It also allows for details later on if you wish to add them (exhaust cones, missile racks, cockpit frames, etc). I've got another model collecting dust that's a good example of this, and much more on the WC1/symmetric look, but all hail getting creative with a trial version of Milkshape. Now that $ are flowing again I just might buy it though.
4) If we're talking tech limitations, take a look at why sprites were used for WC1/2. :D

@ChrisReid
I know Victory Streak and I also know Claw Marks (I have them both ;-) ) and the kilrathi ships shown in both.
The point is, Chernikov's Desing looks more like WC3-era.
If we take the Dralthi for example, in WC1 to Privateer the MK 1-3 desings are symetric disk like Ships. In WC3 and follow the Cocpit/Weaponspod-Section is asymetric and it comes only close to a disk but more a sharpedged desing.
OK, I can't tell if the Kilrathy didn't come from "WC3-style" in Pre-WC era to "WC1/2-style" and changed back to WC3-style in the coresponing era.

Annyway, I do like that desing, especially the 2nd
Keap it up!

Good work Chemikov.
I could include it in RED POINT game if you want (credits to you obviously) because RED POINT is a mod POST Secret OPS and I see it adecuate to that era.
Now, to do this reality I have some questions about:

1 - How many polys has the ship?
2 - Do you think finish it with textures?
3 - Is a 3dmax model?
4 - The model SIZE should be between Paktah'n and a a K Corvette?

Thanx

TanGO

Chernikov said:
Reasons for artistic choices:
2) For the most part, im building this vertex-by-vertex (so I'm a control freak. :p)
Attaboy, 50 Standoff ships can't be wrong. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v702/errant_variable/KatCorvFinal.jpg

This is roughly how I plan to leave it. 969 tripolies w/o turrets. Currently in basic Blender format but I do believe it's possible to export to 3DS Max. The two turret mounts on the right wing are for smaller slugthrowers, the one behind the cockpit is an early energy mount. Yes, the size should be about halfway between at Paktahn and a 'vette. PM me about what you want to do with it.

Back