post flood

MamiyaOtaru

Spaceman
post flood/forum design

So, new posts in this forum no longer cause the thread to show up at the top of the active threads list on wcnews.com :D I suppose someone didn't like us having too many posts..

Add to that the sudden flood of news about other fanprojects, and someone really paranoid could assume we are being kept down :D That someone is not me btw, I'm really happy to see all the fanprojects doing well, and of course there should be news about it ;)

anyway, just wanted to say ZOMG censorship!!! lolol

(this is just a stupid way of saying thanks for all the attention)

The purpose of the recent thread list is to get new people to visit the forums. The modified appearance of this forum is so whack that it might turn people off all together.

I suppose one could think that. The amount of posts in here suggests otherwise, but hey. It's your wcnews.com ;)

And I'm not losing any sleep over it; as you can tell, the first post was made in a very joking tone :) Thank you for hosting us!

I too find this board's layout repulsive. I have not been able to put myself to read all the posts because it feels too hard on my brain. What's wrong with having a layout consistent with the rest of the CIC Forums ? Standoff and UE's forums were customised to be consistent with their web sites but still retained the original CIC Forums's layout... and they're great...

Yeah, my #WingNut buffer for the last several days has two people asking what's wrong with the message board.

(I don't mind the layout, but it was confusing people who were clicking on the thread list at the front page.)

John Cordell said:
What exactly feels hard on your brain, can you be more precisely?
Well, I wasn't so sure, so I compared both and now I understand... it's the boxes. In your forum, nothing separates a post from another (except that blue line). In both the thread list and in the threads themselves, the standard layout has boxes to separate one thread/reply from another. This makes the thread flow easier to process by your brain, but also keeps your eyes straight in a post.

... and the left/right margin are a bit too small...

... maybe the fonts a a bit too big...

The other functions that were stripped were not as important, I guess...

If nothing else, the font really bothers me. It does hurt my eyes.. Not enough contrast with the BG color imho, and somehow blurry looking. (take a close look at it in a paint program, almost every pixel is a different color) The other forums do quite nicely with an all white font. And the other differences obviously bother people too..

John, if you're worried about it not matching the page, just don't have it open in a frame when people click it from the page. When someone clicks on 'forum', just take them to the forum, then you don't have to worry about matching anything. It's apparently an issue.

I had never checked the forum from the project's web site, but now that I did I understand more the layout choices. With the left frame it make a little more sense...

... but still, I always look at all the forums from the CIC, so it still bothers me. And the left frame only solves the margins problem, not the font size/contrast, nor the boxes...

John Cordell said:
Eh, if you want to keep the forum stylistically similar to the website, I would very much recommend coming up with a decent colour scheme for it - blue on black is simply very painful on the eyes. I would also note that if ease of use for first-time visitors is what you're after, you'd be far better off sticking to the easy-to-use original layout. But that's just my opinion ;).

MamiyaOtaru said:
If nothing else, the font really bothers me. It does hurt my eyes.. Not enough contrast with the BG color imho, and somehow blurry looking. (take a close look at it in a paint program, almost every pixel is a different color)
The contrast ratio should be really high enough and when you're monitor is not too old and on default settings you should have not problem. The font is not blurred and the letters have all the same color, please check your system or browser settings.

MamiyaOtaru said:
John, if you're worried about it not matching the page, just don't have it open in a frame when people click it from the page. When someone clicks on forum, just take them to the forum, then you don't have to worry about matching anything. It's apparently an issue.
The Privateer forum belongs primary to it's website where we introduce a player to the game and give otherwise information about it and not to wcnews. Tt would confuse visitors and make them angry while browsing through our site taking the forum link and a new designed page (with a lot of strange stuff) pops up in a new window or so, indeed this is poor webdesign and i'm not willing to make such a site. Not every person is a die-hard forum user, some may even not have used one so this is designed as simple as possible, i know that some criusnetlers won't be happy with it but i can't make all people happy and so i decided to go this way.

PopsiclePete said:
... and the left/right margin are a bit too small...
... maybe the fonts a a bit too big...
What margin and what fonts?

I will consider to use an altered color scheme for the whole project and the useage of background-colored post fields but not in one hour and not in one day...

We have figured out a decent (I think) compromise. Anybody who clicks on the forum from priv.solsector.net will get the simplified layout. Anyone who visits from the CIC/crius.net who has chosen a style in their preferences will get their preferred style instead. People who visit from CIC who have not cosen a style will continue to get the simplified layout.

EDIT: this almost works. Unfortunately getting the forum to display the simple layout for anyone who clicks on the forum link from priv.solsector.net involved actually changing preferences.

IE, a regular CIC forum goer who went to priv.solsector.net and clicked on forums would get the simple layout. Then next time he went to wcnews.com and clicked on forums, he would get the simple layout for all the CIC forums. not too cool.

As it is then, anyone who has no preference set gets the simple layout. Regular forum goers can override by choosing a default look. Guests will always get the simple layout, and I imagine they will be the ones who use the priv.solsector.net link the most.

Back