Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Another attack by the Nephilium

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Renegade humans wanting to over throw Confed

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Don't care, just so a new game comes out soon

Votes: 18 36.0%

• Total voters
I voted for another attack by the Nephilim but what I would actually like is to see us (Confed) take the attack to the Nephilim. Discover where they're from, what they're like, what their motivation is etc, just find out more about them. And I want a resolution about what happened to Blair, so we'll be rid of those kind of discussions. :D
Here's an idea for Origin/EA: you won't make a spacesim because you think they won't sell (enough)? Then why not make a first person shooter (or perhaps squad based although purely for the money shooters are more popular right now) where you're in the Marines. Decker has to be in it of course (you are a member of his squad or something). Must have multiplayer ability of course.
As for singleplayer, how about this storyline: Intel receives some information that Blair might still be alive and held somewhere in Nephilim space. Decker's team gets sneaked in with a small shuttle using the technology acquired in Secret Ops and goes on a quest to find out what happened to Blair. From here the story could develop in several directions, depending on what Origin wants to do with Blair. Perhaps you find he is alive. Or perhaps you find that it was some kind of trap set up by the bugs to find out if Confed could make their own wormhole. Or perhaps something else alltogether...

You could go with the marine idea, or take a whole new direction with it. Your could make an action game when the marines were still liberating worlds from the kilrathi. You could also play a surviving human on a kilrathi infested world or somethin. just a thought.

Another installment of Nephilim Conflict to finish up the bugs ( using their technology to go a few rounds in their space, somehow cutting them off from our universe forever would be nice) would be good for closure, but I like the idea of going into the future at least a few decades and letting the Kilrathi build back up (ala WWI/II Germany).

aside-<Maybe a new robotic force (too Borg-like huh?)-at least it would be an excuse for unending hordes of fighters to fry>

At least leaping froward a few decades would explain the huge jump in fighter technologies that has always bothered me about the WC universe. We go from one game to the next with not that long in between and we have all new weapons and kick-@#& fighter to boot? It definitely keeps it interesting, but I mean the US government still uses fighters designed and first built in the late 60's.

By the way, where can I get the Special Ops for Prophecy?

Originally posted by Viper61
At least leaping froward a few decades would explain the huge jump in fighter technologies that has always bothered me about the WC universe. We go from one game to the next with not that long in between and we have all new weapons and kick-@#& fighter to boot? It definitely keeps it interesting, but I mean the US government still uses fighters designed and first built in the late 60's.

By the way, where can I get the Special Ops for Prophecy?

SoP is only available in WCP Gold. If you already have Prophecy, then you'll end up with a second copy, but I doubt you'd have to pay much for it anyway.

As TC mentioned, there was a brewing conflict between the Confederation and the Landreich that was hinted at in False Colors. I'd like to see that plot expanded.

Prophecy was supposed to be the start of a trilogy if I recall. I'd like to see WCP2 be a really dark story. Something like Empire Strikes Back where everything takes a really bad turn for the good guys. I really thought Confed would try to take the fight to bugs, probably with the Midway and friends. I'd like to see that Task Force get pounded in Bug space while the Nephilim launch a massive attack against Earth itself. Something where there is a little bit of victory, possibly the Midway cutting off the supply lines of the offensive, against the backdrop of a crumbling Confederation.

That way, maybe WCP3 could be setup to have another Battle of Terra where our heroes either take back or hold Sol from Nephilim forces.

I guess what I'm really suggesting is something End Run-ish but with Bugs for WCP2 and Fleet Action for WCP3.

A lot of those would be really good ideas. (The first person shooter was something I thought of a while ago too.) I really like Junior and Unforgiven's ideas too. (The idea of a tactical game for the Kilrathi was what I had in mind actually.) It'd be great to see some of those put into play, was I better at programing and designing I might do some of them, or at least try.

Originally posted by Wolf Dog
Prophecy was supposed to be the start of a trilogy if I recall. I'd like to see WCP2 be a really dark story. Something like Empire Strikes Back where everything takes a really bad turn for the good guys. I really thought Confed would try to take the fight to bugs, probably with the Midway and friends. I'd like to see that Task Force get pounded in Bug space while the Nephilim launch a massive attack against Earth itself. Something where there is a little bit of victory, possibly the Midway cutting off the supply lines of the offensive, against the backdrop of a crumbling Confederation.

Freespace?

hee hee

That way, maybe WCP3 could be setup to have another Battle of Terra where our heroes either take back or hold Sol from Nephilim forces.

I guess what I'm really suggesting is something End Run-ish but with Bugs for WCP2 and Fleet Action for WCP3.

The thing is, to do the trilogy properly, you have to end with the bugs being utterly smashed. Fights on your own front porch don't ordinarily end the war in your favor. You have to fight on the enemy's front porch in order to do that, and the Nephilim, from what little we know of them, don't seem to be the type that will negotiate a peace treaty without having a lot of big guns pointed at their homeworld.
So perhaps a Fleet Action type bang-up battle to climax the second game (which is still going to look an awful lot like Freespace if the writers aren't careful), and then follow up with a counter-offensive for the third one that ends in the Nephilim home system.
And somewhere along the way they've got to explain why exactly the Nephilim were so interested in the Kilrathi thousands of years ago.

Perhaps we'd finally get to run a real capture op (and get some cultural data as a result) instead of the usual hit and run stuff that Decker's marines typically seem to be engaged in for WCP.

Originally posted by Wolf Dog

That would be interesting, having actually the feeling of being threatened by the Nephilim. A darker atmosphere would be indeed nice...

Ya know. i was just playing through Secret Ops again, and I discovered I liked it better then WCP. It's got... something more, even though you've got no FMV's. I've played through it like 5 times, but this is the first time I've noticed it. Weird.

True, a darker atmosphere would be better. Also I think we should make confed a little darker. Ya know like: doin' abombardement on a Neph. colony and later finding out that the colony had no military value of any sort and that we killed a whole lot of Neph. civies. No, wait: I've got it. How about something completely unexpected. We get into Neph. space and we establish a Terran stronghold about 12 jumps away from the neph. homeworld. Now, obviously we want to do some scouting. So, on one of these scouting missions we stumble upon a human colony!!! As it turns out, the people living there heve been at war
with the Neph. for a very long time and they are in fact the descendents of Ivar Chu Macdaniel and his followers who got lost on that ship. Of course they are Pilgrims, and that also could cause some conflict and add to the atmosphere. What do ya think?

To be honest, if EA decides to do another Wing game, I think that much of it would be reinvented. The Nephilim conflict wouldn't exactly continue the same way as if this extended hiatus did not take place. While we do not know what Origin was planning, a few clues were dropped by Mark Vearrier. He discussed his ideas of the next game. He spoke of how there was the possibility of taking the battle to the Nephilim's universe and that possibly it would be aquatic like with plankton floating around. (That would be incredible. I would like to see a truly alien universe.) However, he said this before Secret Ops came out and it was just his ideas.

I would like to see the mysterious, mythological side of the Nephilim brought expanded. Most people probably disagree, but I don't want the Nephilim to be just another Kilrathi like race. They should be mysterious and evil. I think a reason of why there is the strong connection to the Kilrathi should be created. I would like some ellaboration on what it means for them to be "death." Their dark aspect should be brought to light.

The descendants of the Pilgrims appeared in the planned Pilgrim Truth; they are definitely not the Nephilim. They also have technology far in excess of anything the Nephilim have.

Originally posted by junior
The thing is, to do the trilogy properly, you have to end with the bugs being utterly smashed. Fights on your own front porch don't ordinarily end the war in your favor. You have to fight on the enemy's front porch in order to do that, and the Nephilim, from what little we know of them, don't seem to be the type that will negotiate a peace treaty without having a lot of big guns pointed at their homeworld.
So perhaps a Fleet Action type bang-up battle to climax the second game (which is still going to look an awful lot like Freespace if the writers aren't careful), and then follow up with a counter-offensive for the third one that ends in the Nephilim home system.
Only thay would make the Nephilim conflict end almost exactly the same as the Kilrathi conflict.

In my opinion, the next WC game should pick up the story where it ended (unfortunately, I never finished Secret Ops, but I expect the Nephilim to remain a threat), so another conflict with the Nephilim is what I would like most -> One vote for that answer

BTW, sorry that I did not appear in the CZ and #wingnut for some weeks, but I'm just too busy with other things...but from time to time I'm gonna stop by and "say hello"

cu

Jochen

I didn't know that, Bhaktadil. But I didn't say (or at least didn't mean to say) that the Neph. were the descendents of the Pilgrims. I just meant to say we found Pilgrim descendents in Neph. space. Is there some place where I can find out about what Pilgrim Truth would have been?

Originally posted by Unforgiven

Only thay would make the Nephilim conflict end almost exactly the same as the Kilrathi conflict.

The thing is, the Nephilim don't come across as a race who would surrender if they lost a battle in the Sol system. And such an act would be rather difficult to believe. Typically, fighting in the enemy's home means you're doing something right, and if anyone should be surrendering, its the enemy. Unless there's some great cultural reason why they would surrender after losing a battle at Earth (which is still a possibility since we know so little about them except that they apparently set the Kilrathi up as eventual competitors), the story would eventually need to take the battle home to them.
And it still doesn't need to look like WC3. There are many different ways it can be done without destroying the home planet of the Nephilim. A large fleet battle (which could probably be done with modern computers) that ends with the either the total destruction of one side or the elimination of a well-defended target (perhaps an orbital platform) is one way to do this. And there are others.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

I absolutely love the idea of fighting in fluidic space -- something that would still have the feel of the classic games but have some completely new visuals. I'd love to fight, like, big space fish and lobsters and what-not while navigating space-reefs instead of asteroid fields <G>

That does sound rather cool. It would definitely be something original (although iirc, there have been one or two 'dog-fighting subs' games in the past few years). Take your ships through the wormhole, fight in liquid space, possibly nullify certain weapons due to spatial effects (about the only thing guaranteed to work would be the plasma weapons, since the Nephilim use them exclusively), and possibly experience a completely different flight model due to the composition of space. You could even have varying effects on the fighters. Exagerate the effect of the squid's transformation, and you could make thin fighters faster but less manueverable, and blocky fighters slower but more maneuverable. The Devastator might end up as the fastest fighter in Confed, but turn so slowly that it couldn't ram the broad side of a barn.
:p

my ideas

1)a kilrathi group that wants to leave their old ways and stuff,so like the fundi kilrathi would fight them...

2)telepaths

3)beam weapons

4)neelix

Maybe the nephilim were only puppets of more sinister race. They were the halfbreed spawn of the 'Stargods" and some other alied race that were outcast, but are still controlled like puppets by their forbearers. That's why they didn't seem that har to beat. They were just testing the waters like a yellow canary sent into a coal mine. Only daddy has a gas mask.

Prepare for armagedon... only the "stargods" don't even spare the righteous...

Confed is in for the fight of their lives, and the fate of known civilization rests in their hands along with any allies among the firekahns (spelling??) and kilrathi, whom they do not trust. Some even see the invasion as salvation. Thus a rogue kilrathi band along with some delusional humans even tries to sabotage the war effort.

War is hell, and this game will prove who is worthy of the test. Will mankind be beaten, subjected to a fate worse than death, in a sort of bug purgatory, or will they Face up to the challenge and beat off the oppressors and come of victorious, even if it costs them greatly...

AD, that would make for a great third triolgy. At the end of Prophecy 3, Confed learns that there is a more powerful race that was controlling the Nephilim, which sets up WC game 8.

Back