Political correctness.

Ive been thinking, about this subject, and its a subject that tends to piss me off a great deal, political correctness is really nothing more then not wanting to offend others with your individual veiws and oppinions.

Now i was shocked when i read the charted of my old public school, it specificly says, "as per school regulations no prayes may be made in class or on school property, furthermore "God" is not to be mentioned in speeches or in general class topics, failure to comply with these rules will result in suspension to expulsion"

now to me that seems like the biggest load of horse shit ive ever heard, whats the world coming to when your not allowed to do whats your religion may ask u to do, or what u may belive in doing.

just the other day, my dad was working a night shift as he does occasionally when he got a call about a large asian street brawl(dads a police officer mind u) the SOG offerd to send back up which is rare in itself, anyway dad arrived at the scene to find two female officers there alrdy crackign a fuss as another unit had arived to back up there unit. they saw this as sexism that they were thought insaficiant for the job, they have now filed a descimination suit against the force.

now that sounds rediculus to me not only were they outnumbers 5-1 by full grown asian men but had they been assulted or swarmed they would have sued for not sending them back up. im sick of ppls morals being so high that they cant accept a simple routine bit of training without them taking offence to it.

Thoughts?

[Butt-head] Political correctness sucks. [/Butt-head]

That piece about your school, it sounds to me like a complete failure in doing something about the feeling some people get that christianity takes up a whole lot of space, tearing down its credibility and so on while indirectly sending out the message that all other religions are wrong. A valid concern, taking history in account, but if the law-makers are going to be consistant, they'd have to outlaw Allah, Brahma, whatever as well. Wouldn't work.

Those female officers must be idiots... or I suppose they just had a bad day. Happens to some of us. All the same, their connection to reality seems... quite thin.

I wish I had some example of my own to throw into the mix... *Shrug* I guess living in a country where excessive lawsuits are practically non-existant pays off one way or the other.

Lord_Nathrakh said:
Ive been thinking, about this subject, and its a subject that tends to piss me off a great deal, political correctness is really nothing more then not wanting to offend others with your individual veiws and oppinions.

Though political correctness does piss me off, so do needless threads on the subject.

Your school can't keep you from praying. That's a violating of your first amendment rights.

Your school CAN keep you from forcing a captive audience to listen to your prayers, though. Like if you got up in front of the class, or a football game and started praying. People would be forced to listen to it, and that's like... bad.

But yeah, if your school is keeping you from praying on your own, that's a violation of your first amendment rights, and you should be talking to the ACLU.

It's says you're from Australia, so you probably don't have the same First Amendment right has Americans, but I assume you have something equivalent.

I hear you too. I work at a State Hospital and few months ago we were told to stop referring to our patients as "Schizophrenics "and start calling them "patients with Schizophrenia." Something to do with disassociating the illness from the person. The other thing is if they're actually staying at the hospital we're not supposed to call them patients. They're customers.

UUUHHH!! He lives in Australia so the laws are going to be different there. Unless you happened to be from Australia and know that this violates the 1st amendment in Australia's Constitution.

Well sheesh. I just assumed from the spelling and grammar that he was American. The location on the side is in a tiny font anyway.

Don't crap your pants.

Are you saying that American schools put out illiterates that don't know grammar, spelling, and probably can't read the diplomas they were awarded? Hmmmmm?

Well, that's a bit of an exageration, but yeah. Speakin' from the personal experience, though, too.

Anyways, political correctness is like salt on french fries. It's gotta be there (though occaisionally it doesn't), but when there's too much on them, they taste like crap and all you can think about is how much you hate salt on french fries.

PeteyG said:
Your school can't keep you from praying. That's a violating of your first amendment rights.

Your school CAN keep you from forcing a captive audience to listen to your prayers, though. Like if you got up in front of the class, or a football game and started praying. People would be forced to listen to it, and that's like... bad.

But yeah, if your school is keeping you from praying on your own, that's a violation of your first amendment rights, and you should be talking to the ACLU.

Forget First emendment.

Thats a violation of the UN Declaration of Human Rights.

Noone can stop you from practicing your religion, in private, or public.

Also, I don not believe they can stop you from mentioning "God" to a captive audiance. What they can stop you from doing is preaching and telling people what to think. If they don't like what you say about your God they can get up and leave, unless your a teacher and they're a pupil.

In the South West (England) we're mostly White Protistants, so we can say preyers, talk about God, whatever.

(Disclaimer: I have no problem with people of other races or religions, all I'm saying is it makes life less complicated.)

There are exceptions to every rule. Technically, a teacher cannot make a student remove a shirt deemed "offensive" because of their First Amendment Right unless the shirt is causing serious disruption at the school.

At this point, Article 18 or any other article in the UN Human Rights anouncement is dancing pretty close to being paired with the Leauge Of Nations. The UN is pulling different strings in different directions because they can't make everyone happy.

As has been stated we are just a free as america but we dont have amendments governing us, while im sure it does stur up some sort of civil law suit theres nothing i can really do since i dont go to the school, and i dont like religion anyway, still thats a major impeachment on rights.

you do know that i can be even more iliterate? its plenty easy ill just pretend im from Texas

Lord_Nathrakh said:
you do know that i can be even more iliterate? its plenty easy ill just pretend im from Texas

Wait, you're not from Texas.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... you're literate?

thats a secret between us ok.....i dont like embarresing ppl with my greatness, it makes ppl feel less manly.

and what iw as saying is texans are stupid look at bush...still least he has balls

LeHah, you are unfortunatly wrong about the shirt issue becuase students are under the control of the school and they do not have their rights, its the same way the school can penalize you for using profanity, children especially in a school do not have the same amount of rights as normal citizens, if any rights at all.

Also preventing the mentioning of god/religion in a school, i got no problem with that, you have every other minute of your life to pray outloud to your god, spend 6 hours and learn something that wasnt written by a bunch of semi-literate men two or three thousand years ago about a bunch of things that cannot be proven to exist and in fact would have to go against logic and reason to exist. Which btw is what schools should be teaching you, that which is logical and that which is reasonable, as well as the skills necessary to be logical and reasonable.

Lord_Nathrakh said:
and what iw as saying is texans are stupid look at bush...still least he has balls

Glass houses, LN. Glass houses. I know for a fact President Bush has better spelling, punctuation, and grammar than you. Plus, I'm pretty sure there are quite a few Texans in general who are smarter than you. You know... the computer programmers, the brain surgeons, rocket scientists, the university professors, etc.

I completely disagree with you, Napoleon. It is true that schools in the US have some ability to restrict students' first amendment rights in the interests of an orderly school... Supreme Court opinions on the matter clearly state that the Constitution doesn't stop working at the school entrance (or something).

If a school in the United States prevented a student from saying religious things, wearing religious items, or praying in a manner that was not either 1) disruptive to the learning environment (like during naptime) or 2) being done in front of a captive audience... and it went to court... that school district would be bitch slapped like you would never believe.

Americans in general have a hard enough time swallowing the fact that it's wrong for a person to pray/preach in front of a captive audience, so there's no chance in heck that they would tolerate restrictions being placed on completely legitimate and Constitutionally protected worship in schools.

Im quite willing to accept ppls critisism of me, but dont insult me again my writing may be far from perfect but its legible and if YOU can understand me well enough then prehaps u need to learn abbriviated english.

anyway enough of that i dont like when ppl cant get a joke lighten up peter

Ripper said:
Are you saying that American schools put out illiterates that don't know grammar, spelling, and probably can't read the diplomas they were awarded? Hmmmmm?

LOL, the number of times I've seen people use "your" instead of "you're". Or confuse "there" and "their". Everybody does it now. Kids certainly aren't learning anything in school anymore.

Back