Pliers' Ship Selection Quotes

Not quite as much as making him fly into your ass, though. :D

(In the final engagement, after the taunt FMV but before he comes out of cloak, lock autoslide and turn around so you're flying backwards. He'll always decloak right behind you. Since the player ship is always better protected than AI ships of the same class, he dies, you just have to wait a bit for the repair droid to do its thing. Dying to the flying equivalent of wrestling's "butt bomb"...
laugh.gif
)

It was something along the lines of sloppy Confed flying...
The CIC has a small collection of quotes in the old files section...

Pliers said:
Colonel, I'd appreciate it if you don't trash your ship this time. We ain't got the parts or the manpower to back up sloppy Confederation flying.

When you get in a jam, afterburn! If you just hang around taking it for no good reason, you're gonna have to answer to me when you get back. 'cause I gotta fix every last stinking hole, crack, and whatever else on that thing, and it ain't no fun. Especially when I've been up all night... had no sleep...

I'm gonna crank up your shield generator to give you a little more padding on this one. It'll strain the main unit, but I think you'll need it.

Not quite as much as making him fly into your ass, though. :D

(In the final engagement, after the taunt FMV but before he comes out of cloak, lock autoslide and turn around so you're flying backwards. He'll always decloak right behind you. Since the player ship is always better protected than AI ships of the same class, he dies, you just have to wait a bit for the repair droid to do its thing. Dying to the flying equivalent of wrestling's "butt bomb"... )

That's pretty clever...and humiliating! :)

One thing I never understood in WC4 was why all the fuus about the Dragon's afterburners. Hack, I had those in my Tarsus years earlier, for crying out loud!

My favourite tactic to beat Seether was just to fire dumbfires at him when he made his attack run. Poor Seether. He thinks he's the ultimate soldier and can't even dodge DFs! Ha! Should have spent his time during the war on the frontlines and doing something useful, instead of practicing his mine trick! :D

One interesting thing is that, after beating him, I just cloacked my way down to Earth. If you fly manually for long enough towards Earth's Nav you eventually get far enough and the Auto light will turn on. I've ALWAYS done that since the first time I played. I've never even considered blowing up a star base over Earth itself! I was really surprised when I discovered that so many people did that, and that was actually what was expected for people to do! Talk about your acts of war! ;)

Why do I have a feeling I missed something in this thread?

I believe that Mr. Cook was banned after his last post, to which LOAF commented "saw it coming."
Thanks Loaf for the collected quotes (year old or not)--WC4 has been the one in the series that's always avoided me, but if I can trick one of my two DVD copies into working (durn DXMCI) I think I'll be alright. :)

Edit: I made a new thread and moved the Wc4 DVD tech questions to the tech support forum.. look for it Here: http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=22639

One thing I never understood in WC4 was why all the fuus about the Dragon's afterburners. Hack, I had those in my Tarsus years earlier, for crying out loud!

My favourite tactic to beat Seether was just to fire dumbfires at him when he made his attack run. Poor Seether. He thinks he's the ultimate soldier and can't even dodge DFs! Ha! Should have spent his time during the war on the frontlines and doing something useful, instead of practicing his mine trick! :D

One interesting thing is that, after beating him, I just cloacked my way down to Earth. If you fly manually for long enough towards Earth's Nav you eventually get far enough and the Auto light will turn on. I've ALWAYS done that since the first time I played. I've never even considered blowing up a star base over Earth itself! I was really surprised when I discovered that so many people did that, and that was actually what was expected for people to do! Talk about your acts of war! ;)

This reminds me a bit of one of the other favorite tactics I had against seether, which was to load up something with a reliable lock and fire Full salvos of missiles as I gunned for a head-on pass. The Fight didn't usually last more that a few seconds. Worked ok for fighting Flash in the sim in WC3 too. It always seemed that if you didn't take them out right away the fight would seem to drag on.

This reminds me a bit of one of the other favorite tactics I had against seether, which was to load up something with a reliable lock and fire Full salvos of missiles as I gunned for a head-on pass. The Fight didn't usually last more that a few seconds. Worked ok for fighting Flash in the sim in WC3 too. It always seemed that if you didn't take them out right away the fight would seem to drag on.

Yeah, fighting the same-side aces in simulation does tend to be a pain, if you don't play "dirty". Both Flash and Maniac will just run like pussies, and you're forever chasing them down (or until the timer ends, for Maniac), without something not really needed for normal combat.

For Maniac, stop and turn to face him before accepting the challenge; he'll mirror the turn, so you wind up facing his aft section. Have one finger on the key to send the comm, and a finger on the trigger. Right after sending the acceptance, fire at his aft section, and score a hit on him. After that, just chase him until the timer runs out, and you get something roughly analogous to boxing's TKO (Technical Knock Out).

(And on the note of the WC4 engagement, do missiles work regularly while the system is reconfiguring to combat mode, when the pirates show up? I never tried, and don't have my copy of WC4 immediately handy to test.)

I do like WC4 anyway, as crazy as it may be. It's the hardest game in the series, though, with the exception of the expansion packs.

This is painful to behold, first my second favourite game of all time is bashed on by reviewers for over use of FMV, then meager sales struggle to justify the titles existance, and now even the fans attack it. I feel I must defend this true gem of a title.

First let me say I take all the points, I really do, especially from an existing fans perspective, however having joined the series with IV I am given the chance to view it as a seperate entity.
Gameplay wise it had a number of flaws, especially in balancing, however it had variety, variety like no other title which will keep numerous missions lovingly cherished in my mind. Tyr VII was the inspiration for my university FYP, and indeed "Tyr VII" is the name of my latest project.

Bt its the story telling which sold WCIV to me, I'm not big on military backgrounds, its the frailties, the faults, the humanity of the characters which Wing Commander introduces that appeal to me; in this manner the books are in a way superior to the games, save IV. Every character in Wing Commander IV was likable, with great dynamics placed in. Most franchises take some time to work out which characters work well together, but Vellina and Catscratch, Panther and Hawk, they just gelled. The more relaxed feel of the Border Worlds was also a plus to me.

Also one of the criticisms launched in this thread I see as a positive. Wing Commander IV is an independent entity, it survives without experience with the series, the history, the background, the characters, everything that is wing commander contributes a rich canvas onto which the game was painted. It's true that you can not continue a franchise in this manner, but it makes Wing Commander IV a title you can truly hold up as a complete package, a title you can point to and say thats how you tell a story and get the players emotionally invested (ignoring the fact that marketting, which I somehow avoided, spoiled most of it in advance).

Commercially it made no sense, for reasons mentioned here and others, but to me it represented the potential of the games industry to reach beyond its simple roots. The sad fact is that the audience currently playing games likes what is avaiable, which has been built up from the simplest of play mechanics with no story line, the audience wasn't out there, but I wish it had of been.

As a side note I find it a weird disembodying experience to see someone elses hand moving, mimicking yours, even in FPS I find it odd when I can see any part of the hand which is holding the gun. Similarly watching someone else descend from "my" cockpit broke the illusion for me. I know thats odd since all FMV is filmed in the third person anyway, but somehow its easy to project onto Mark Hamill *shrugs*.

I suppose it is the result of a mishmash of threads, but triggered by where the conversation went very early, its just unfortunately the first chance I've had to post. I suppose on reflection it isn't even arguing any particular point, eh the old girl deserves some praise anyway, random and out of place or not.

Back