Please Tell me This Thing Works!

Greetings peoples!

I just discovered this website and I have to know:

Does the mod work?
Is it completed?
Is it still available for download?

I'm a die-hard Wing Commander fan and any new signs of life in this excellent theme are always welcome. Does anyone know if there was ever any WC mods for Homeworld (1 or 2) or Freespace (1 or 2)?

Thank you in advance for anyone and everyone who replies to this post :D

Of course the mod works. You can download the first 3 chapters at the Standoff website over here: http://standoff.solsector.net/

The mod requires Secret Ops to play though.

And what a coincidence :eek:. There are already two other mods being designed and implemented from those games you mentioned.

First, Wing Commander SAGA is a game that utilizes the Freespace 2 engine as well as including a live-action FMV theme to tell the story of the Terran-Kilrathi conflict. The game has been in development for a long time, but until now we can expect a release very soon as the project has already gathered momentum and game-players have been asked to participate in a early test version of WCSAGA. The forum can be found here:
http://www.crius.net/zone/forumdisplay.php?f=18

There is also a more recent mod developed by Aaron Thomas for the Homeworld 2 game engine based on WC4. The mod looks in good shape as eager fans of the Homeworld and WC games await for the demo which should be released very soon. The thread can be found here; titled WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 .

There are other fan projects which can be checked here at the CIC website.
https://www.wcnews.com/fanprojects/index.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
First, Wing Commander SAGA is a game that utilizes the Freespace 2 engine as well as including a live-action FMV theme to tell the story of the Terran-Kilrathi conflict.

The Saga trailer with video was someone's school project - the actual game doesn't have live action FMV.

You might also want to check our Unknown Enemy. It was the first mod of the Standoff team and it is finished already.

Awesome

Thanks for the help poeple :D

The only way I have gotten any kind of a WC fix is by buying WCIII for PlayStation and buying a PlayStation :( a big sacrafice seeing as I'm an Xbox man!

I did try out that WC mod for Xwing Alliance and it worked for a while.

Who ever has done the model work for this mod is a total legend!

Hehe, thanks, glad you like them. I also worked on the first few models for the XWA WC mod, but I'm not even sure if they were actually released or not. :p

I am just starting out here on SO and WC. I have been an avid fan of the wingCommander series. Heck!! I even once had EVERY novel that came out years ago. Dang!! would love to get them again for my library ~~~. ( Darned ex-wife!!..she took all the books too ~~~).
I looked at the Screenshots..and from just that alone..I just had to rejoin the world of wingCommander!!.

And yes..FreeSpace2 does have WC mod. Not sure if out yet.
Never knew about the XWA mod though.

PhnixPhyre

well, the FreeSpace2 mod; Wing Commander Saga prologue is already out... I have it and it's great... one of the best mod I have seen for Wing Commander, with Unknown Enemy and Standoff...

Ultimately, I think that Standoff is better than Saga - Standoff has an atmosphere, a certain tension about it that none of the main games have ever had, nor any of the other mods. It's a whole different setting - you're not one lone ship/group that happens to be stuck with the enemy - you're part of the fleet battling against odds that would make Han Solo hesitate. It's tense, fast-paced, and you actually feel like part of the group.

Saga is great, but the atmosphere is all ground that's been covered before. It's just a little too familiar for me. Thusly, Standoff wins out in the end.

I have to agree with Crazy J... but it's a little unfair, the story of standoff is light years away from saga... and the boys form standoff really made one hell of a game with it... but the saga team is making great game too

How does it work?

Ok I finally got the chance to start downloading this mod and I have already hit a wall. :rolleyes: Readme files are of little help.

With the Secret Ops pack do I install it into the WC Prophecy folder? Next where do I install the chapter/episode bits of you mod?

Humour me I have not ever played with any Prophecy mods or ever touched the secret missions... I'm actually surprised the game still runs though there are some graphical issues. Was there ever a patch?

Ok I finally got the chance to start downloading this mod and I have already hit a wall. :rolleyes: Readme files are of little help.

With the Secret Ops pack do I install it into the WC Prophecy folder? Next where do I install the chapter/episode bits of you mod?

Humour me I have not ever played with any Prophecy mods or ever touched the secret missions... I'm actually surprised the game still runs though there are some graphical issues. Was there ever a patch?

I'm pretty sure you just install SO normally as it *does not* require WC: Prophecy. Then i think you just tell the standoff installer where Secret Ops is.

With the Secret Ops pack do I install it into the WC Prophecy folder?
No, Secret Ops is a standalone game, you have to install it in it's own folder.
Next where do I install the chapter/episode bits of you mod?
Simply download the complete package. After you installed Secret Ops, just run the Standoff installer and it'll install itself in the Secret Ops folder automaticly. The only thing you have to do that the installer won't do for you is to set Win9x compatibility on the game's EXE: right-click on Standoff.exe (and secretops.exe, if you wanna play it too), click "Properties", click on the "Compatibility" tab and check the compatibility option.

No rocket science, from there just click the desktop (or Start Menu) to launch the game.

I am not sure wich graphical issues you're talking about. Please elaborate so we can help you solve your problem.

Wing Commander

WC STandoff is a totally awesome mod!
I love you guys! :D

As to the graphical errors I mean with WC Prophecy and a few with Standoff. Nothing severe. Sometimes the HUG has a few extra stray lines or the gunsight does not display correctly. In stand off the light corona things have a vertical cross in the middle of them similar to a WWII style gunsight.

Love the attention to detail and the WC feel. PLEASE keep it going and make more to add to this most excellent mod.

Big thank you to the Standoff mod team :)

Glad you like our game ! :)

As to the graphical errors I mean with WC Prophecy and a few with Standoff. Nothing severe. Sometimes the HUG has a few extra stray lines or the gunsight does not display correctly. In stand off the light corona things have a vertical cross in the middle of them similar to a WWII style gunsight.
Ok, now I get what you mean. The texture pixel offsetting is a problem due to the design of the game, back then for Glide and DirectX 5. Most video cards drivers have an option to try to fix it, look for an option that sounds like "Alternate pixel center".

We fixed most of these textures problems in Standoff, but we've been unable to fix the lense flare effect yet.

How does this work

Ok, I am new to this MOD, can someone explain how this works. Is this a stand alone game or do you need WC to run it?

You need to install Wing Commander: Secret Ops, which you can download from the CIC - here's a direct link. Once you've downloaded and installed it, you just need to download and install Standoff's episodes 1-3 package, which is also hosted by the CIC. Here's a link.

Oh, and make sure the first time you run the game, you do so through the Standoff launcher - that way, you'll be able to configure all the graphics stuff.

Very Helpful

thank you, this was very helpful, i will definately play it.

Back