Please explain DragonBall Z

Michael_A

Spaceman
I have a five year old son who is really into DragonBall and DragonBall Z. He even wants to be Goku for Halloween.

Here is my problem I haven't seen enough of the episodes to understand what the hell is going on. So if someone here doesn't mind please explain this show to me. I do not want to go to Spacebattles because I really want to know, and I do not want to start a flame war.

I remember someone here once who new all about it I just cannot remember who it was.

The series is really darned long and I don't think I could type out all the episodes, esp since many have yet to be dubbed and put on Cartoon Network.

I suggest grabbing a FAQ. They're out there on the net in plenty of places.

The quick summary of Dragonball Z...

An evil threat arises against a planet (usually Earth). Goku (spikey black hair, orange outfit) and his friends confront the evil (said friends are mostly cannon fodder, although a couple of them are tough cannon fodder, and his son actually saves the day once or twice). After twenty or so episodes of grunting, blocking, and flying around during mid-air combat (including one or two obligatory episodes that consist of one or more characters spending the ENTIRE episode pouring all of their energy into a massive fireball type blast), the good guys win, and everyone goes home. The dead good guys get returned from the dead using the Dragonballs (which grant wishes if you can find all of them), and everyone is happy - until the next episode, when a threat so dangerous that it makes the previous one look like a pleasant afternoon in the park suddenly rears its head, and the cycle repeats itself.
For specifics, you can look on the internet.

I don't get the deal with this show. I think it is one of the lamest cartoons ever made and yet a LOT of people I know think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

LOAF posted a great parody pic of the show. It was titled "Dead-horse Beater Z." A classic.....

Oh, and just what was great about sliced bread anyway? You have a loaf of bread, a knife, then you slice it. WHAT THE HOLY FLYIN' MONKEY-#%$*?!! If someone says,"The best thing since WC...", I can sure as Hell understand that, hehheh!

Originally posted by Wulf

Oh, and just what was great about sliced bread anyway? You have a loaf of bread, a knife, then you slice it. WHAT THE HOLY FLYIN' MONKEY-#%$*?!!

Um... presliced bread... in that you don't have to cut it...

Originally posted by junior
After twenty or so episodes of grunting, blocking, and flying around during mid-air combat (including one or two obligatory episodes that consist of one or more characters spending the ENTIRE episode pouring all of their energy into a massive fireball type blast), the good guys win, and everyone goes home... everyone is happy - until the next episode, when a threat so dangerous that it makes the previous one look like a pleasant afternoon in the park suddenly rears its head, and the cycle repeats itself.
Y'know, this sounds like the formula for anime in general. :) (Admittedly, I don't know that much about anime...)

Before everybody jumps on you, I'll say it: anime is just a 'style' of storytelling in Japan... and pretty much every genre of everything is done in anime form. So you have everything from repetitive kid stuff like DragonBallZ and Pokemon to serious films and stuff.

Okay, thanks. That was what I was thinking of, the repetitive 'kiddie' stuff. Occasionally, Dad watches some of the adult anime - very weird and gory stuff.

Well... there's *adult* anime (the sort that would star an animated Ginger Lynn) and then there's anime for adults (like... regular movies... except... anime)... (G)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
(the sort that would star an animated Ginger Lynn)

Not entirely true, most of them are *Starred* by young girls in sailor and/or school outfits ^_^ :)

Back