Please contact Michelle

An inability to respond to direct questions or criticisms strikes me as being more along the lines of getting out of the way.

Bandit LOAF said:
I am responding to a very specific request from Spirit -- he has said time and time again that he'd like someone to take over the project. As I have said over and over again, it's not an attempt to "grab power". Painting it as such will not work. Nothing is as simple as 'us versus them'. I think the project should be better run and I can do it - I am happy to remain a simple critic if Spirit was not serious about that request... but we need to have a clear response on his part.

Uh... Okay. Honestly this isn't "a spiritplumber game"... I mean the person who did most of the work technically is hellcatv who wrote the engine, and the people who did the models. I'm just trying to keep things going. (Right now I'm doing the AI for NPC mining ships)

I honestly think that a leader SHOULD dynamically stay out of the way and let good things happen -- a leader's job is to unruffle feathers, stop fights, and coordinate efforts. That takes people skills ^^; I try my best but I'm not sure I have them.... speaking of which, sorry if I irritated you. You're the demigod on canon compliance, so your word SHOULD be practically final whether something is canon or not; fine. This said, if you were in charge, we'd end up with a game that might be more concerned with canon compliance than with playability... that's my big fear...

This said, if you feel you need to be the leader, we could have a poll about it if you like? Holding elections at this point might be the best way to handle it fairly, however I don't want it to degenerate into a popularity contest... By the way, check the "credits" section of the todo file. :)

I honestly think that a leader SHOULD dynamically stay out of the way and let good things happen -- a leader's job is to unruffle feathers, stop fights, and coordinate efforts. That takes people skills ^^; I try my best but I'm not sure I have them.... speaking of which, sorry if I irritated you. You're the demigod on canon compliance, so your word SHOULD be practically final whether something is canon or not; fine. This said, if you were in charge, we'd end up with a game that might be more concerned with canon compliance than with playability... that's my big fear...

Well, yeah, you haven't exactly been doing a great job of that lately. You're a good coder (or so I am told), and I think you should continue doing that. Game design is broader than adding one element at a time.

I'm the expert on continuity, but that's just one element of game design. I have spoken at length on the issue of gameplay balancing and the importance of experience and have been ignored simply because I'm also a Wing Commander genius -- that's the heart of the problem here.

And can we please either either use the word 'canon' properly or not at all?

This said, if you feel you need to be the leader, we could have a poll about it if you like? Holding elections at this point might be the best way to handle it fairly, however I don't want it to degenerate into a popularity contest... By the way, check the "credits" section of the todo file.

Eh, that sounds reasonable. But if you really want to keep the project, just say so now instead of going through with this. I say this as a warning rather than some sort of attempt to brag: it is a foregone conclusion that I will win any sort of popularity contest posed to the general Wing Commander community. Again, I'm not bragging, I'm trying to warn you away from a course of action that might give you a result you're not looking for - I'm loved by a heck of a lot of people.

hmm.....an interesting thought i had. i can't help but wonder how many people support spirit solely on the fact that she's female with a tendancy to tell sob stories meant to sway sympathy.....kinda makes you think.

Bandit LOAF said:
People love bigger than life characters -- why do we remember who The Fatman but not Nenad Vugrinec? The Privateer music is probably technically much better than the music in the original game -- but Fatman is a bigger than life, arrogant character.

Why do you know Richard Garriott and not Scott Phillips? Same reason -- Garriott was a crazy character who owned a castle and talked about how amazing Ultima was.

LOAF, you really seem to believe this falacy that people like arrogants. It is a falacy. People put up with arrogance when they have overwhelming reasons to like somebody --in spite of it. But if you're trying to be arrogant, you're failing ;-) I don't find you arrogant at all, and I respect you, therefore. I do find Brad a bit arrogant, and for that very reason I don't respect him at all, in spite of his knowledge and good work. I've lost count of how many well paying jobs I quit because I couldn't stand the boss's arrogance. Imagine what arrogance in the management could do to a volunteer project...

At least this conversation has become somewhat more civil. :)

Oh, then I get to read dan_w's post. :(

Oh well. :rolleyes:

@Bandit: what is the proper use of the word 'canon'? I'm a bit unfamiliar with the nomenclature around here. The way Spirit is using it to say whether something is suitable for a WC game. From your reaction, I take it that's incorrect usage? (Of course, there's always the interpretation of the word canon as being a weapon!)

@Forlarren: don't post inflammatory one-liners like that, it doesn't help at all.

Ok Fine I finally joined so People Know who I am

Hello Everyone.

I am Michelle as spiritplumber has made it known to that people want to contact me. But what is irking me about this whole thing is someone has backlashed wants Spiritplumber off this project cause of issues that should not over cloud one persons deeds. I can not stand for this. So I am here and I am not one person to be a mean to. But anywho, if anyone wants to contact me just email at zandar21@yahoo.com cause my chances of logging in here are very slim with the amount of art I do in a give day. Talk to some of you later.

Michelle

zandar21 said:
But what is irking me about this whole thing is someone has backlashed wants Spiritplumber off this project cause of issues that should not over cloud one persons deeds. I can not stand for this.

I think you are misinformed of the situation. There's no reason for Spiritplumber to leave the project, she is obviously a quite talented programmer and very dedicated to what she does. What we want, is for someone with which we are all familar and respect as an authority figure, Bandit Loaf, to step up and be project lead. We want him to organize the scope and parameters of this project and we want him to organize us into a team. We do however want Spiritplumber to remain on as a programmer reporting to Loaf who can coordinate things and can determine what makes it into the project and what doesn't. I think that's a reasonable request.

Spiritplumber is looking for someone to handle the administrative tasks of the WCU project. Nobody has volunteered yet. An argument breaks out over who should be the project leader. Nothing has been resolved yet.

So I humbly volunteer to handle the administrative tasks. All I care about is getting the WCU project back in the groove. I don't do artwork, I'm not very knowledgeable about WC canon, and coding ain't my thing. But I can try to get everyone organized, and give them something useful (and meaningful) to apply themselves to.

crouton said:
I don't do artwork, I'm not very knowledgeable about WC canon, and coding ain't my thing.
Well I, for one, think it's fantastic that someone with as much as you have to offer has finally stepped up to the plate.

Frosty said:
Well I, for one, think it's fantastic that someone with as much as you have to offer has finally stepped up to the plate.

:D Learning new things is why I get up every morning. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll be good at artwork, WC canon, and coding.

[edit] And posting on crius.net forums. :cool:

I think crouton should do the admin, Brad LOAF oversee the general universe content, and spirit continue to work away in her usual excellent fashion. Then we'll all be happy. Oh, and if Michelle wants to do some WC related art of even help out, I'm sure a task or two can be thought up!

Crouton, if you need help in methods/tools of coordinating people and project tasks, feel free to ask. I just bombarded the other thread with unwanted advice , but in case you need some ideas, I'd be happy to help out.
I'm no coder nor an artist, but my day job involves project management - so if you have questions or need a sounding board, shoot me a PM.

Back