Playing Wing Commander IV on PSP

Lupo

Spaceman
Has anyone tried this out yet.
The PSP has its own Playstation One Emulator in the lastest firmware updates, Has anyone played there PSX wing commander games on it yet. I know there was WCIII and WCIV out for the PSX, any others?

Nope. Just those two games.

Are you saying you can now just pop you PSX discs into a PSP and play them? Hmm...maybe I will buy a PSP afterall.

Nope. Just those two games.

Are you saying you can now just pop you PSX discs into a PSP and play them? Hmm...maybe I will buy a PSP afterall.

No, the PSX disks will not fit. You have to find a way to copy the disk images or something like that to a memmory card.

Ok, I got my original copy of Wing Commander IV converted (4 discs) and have played it on my PSP. Controls just take a little to get used to, but the graphics on that small screen will make you VERY HAPPY if your a wing commander fan. Videos and sound are as close to perfect as you get. You need a special firmware for your PSP to play it. If you have a PSP and want info let me know, i'll check this thread from time to time. BLOWS EAs original Wing Commander away.

Ok, I got my original copy of Wing Commander IV converted (4 discs) and have played it on my PSP. Controls just take a little to get used to, but the graphics on that small screen will make you VERY HAPPY if your a wing commander fan. Videos and sound are as close to perfect as you get. You need a special firmware for your PSP to play it. If you have a PSP and want info let me know, i'll check this thread from time to time. BLOWS EAs original Wing Commander away.

That's really neat that you got it working.

For my part, though, I would rather keep whatever official firmware on my PSP so that don't have trouble with things like EA replay though. If there comes an official way to to move your PSX games to the PSP then I'll be there, as I assume it wouldn't conflict with any new games I might buy for the system.

Wc4 has a problem with the video, it will begin stuttering and become unplayable after a few minutes.
Skipping through the movies seems to hold off this problem for a while, but it will crash eventually.

I'm running the Pal version of Wc4 on DA's 3.30a custom firmware.

Does anyone else have this problem?

If there comes an official way to to move your PSX games to the PSP then I'll be there

That's probably somewhat unlikely. It's cool that our visitors have found a way to do it with their copies of the game, but it opens up everyone being able to more easily share and pirate games. I doubt there'll be an official way to do it until they can offer it from the digital Sony store with some sort of copy protection.

There is an official way to do it from the Playstation Network - except the selection is extremely limited. And yes, those games are locked to the PSP you downloaded them to. It's how the original cracks were discovered - some found ways around the mechanisms used to lock the PSOne games, and others found ways to replace the disc image contained within with another. That's why there was a flurry of 3.0, 3.01, 3.02, 3.03 firmware out, with "security updates" as the sole reason. Now there's also 3.10 and 3.30, but 3.03 is apparently the best one that forms the basis of the "hacked" firmware - later versions seems to have broken stuff in the PSOne emulator/virtualizer.

Is the game stretched to widescreen or in a full screen portion of the PSP?
I'd definately do this is there were a way to play in true widescreen but I guess that's just a pipe dream.

You can choose the display - original resolution (gutter-boxed), scaled 4:3, or full screen (stretched).

For all those who had video problems, here is the solution, atleast so far not one glitch.

Ok, I got it running well for about an hour so far with no glitches yet
You need a PSP with 3.40 EO firmware installed
Then You needed to set the PSP to 333mhz iso and xmb in the RESTORE menu
Then when you load the game use the PSP-PSX settings and set the disc load speed to fast-loading and thats it.
Its working great so far.
For info on how to convert your games search for POPstation and related programs, then help convert.

Try this out and post your results. I am going to try a few more missions and see what happens

Back