playing WC3 without CD...

Kain

Spaceman
alot of my problems with WC3 crashing is because my cd speed(not CPU) anyone know
what flies to copy on my HD to play WC3.

All the movies are loaded from the CDs... and I think the TREs all have the same filenames. I don't think you can play it from the hard drive.

Well, actually, I think you can play it from the drive. You have to copy the MOVIES.TRE file (I think that's what it's called) to your WC3 directory, and you'll have some trouble going from disc to disc since they all use that file name, but I believe it can be done. Experiment and tell us what you come up with.

hmmmmm heres what i've copied to the HD

wc3.cfg
wc3.con
wsg_ndx.wsq
gameflow.tre
missions.tre
movies.tre
wc3gpats
objects.tre
wing3.adv
wc3grav
wing3.phx
wc3
wc3.GID
vesa480.dll
wing3.m50
mcga.dll
wing3.b50
univbe
globals.iff
install.tre
wc3

then the game doenst wanna run up because
it can't find sound or music cards.

Well, I guess you're stuck with the CD, then.

Tell me, are you running the game from DOS or from windows?

I think do do this you'd have to do some fancy byte surgery. WC3.con, isn't that supposed to be dictated by your install? If so overwriting it will lose your config, would it not?

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited July 13, 2000).]

Death's Head said:
I think do do this you'd have to do some fancy byte surgery. WC3.con, isn't that supposed to be dictated by your install? If so overwriting it will lose your config, would it not?

That sounds about right.
As for moving from CD to CD - save very very often, someday, it'll say "Insert CD 2" and you will have to somehow copy the .TREs from there to your HD.

Back