Piranha Civilan fighter

Chevieblazer

Spaceman
the piranha was a main competitor for the raptor as the space force primary heavy fighter.when the confederation decided to build the raptor, boeing aerospace instead sold a downgraded version of the piranha to the open market.
it has about the armor of the rapier and is slightly slower than the raptor.
the standard version is armed with two mass drivers, however, most pilots have preferred to use heavier weapons.
intelligence reports suggest that certain element hostile to the confederation may have been supplied by the kilrathi with experimental fighter versions of the meson cannon.
same reports indicate these subversive elemts may have also equipped several of their piranhas to carry heavy ordenance. wether or not the kilrathi have also supplied them with torpedos is unknown

yes, i know, but that piranha is 30-40 years later this one is the 2650ties centurion, if you like. and actually i was hoping it would look more like a centurion-stiletto mix.

well...it doesn't. to wide, the wings aren't tapered, the back end doesn't lend itself to it. the front wings to big.

I honestly believe this Mod would be much better off if you just focused on making a 2 fleet skirmish mode release to start. Nothing fancy, no story or scripted single player missions/events. Just a WC1/2 mix of Terran Confederation vs. Kilrathi showdown.

Then after all the normal fleet systems are worked out you could go ahead with your story driven single player, with all the extra faction spacecraft. Just my 2¢

Yeah, also remember who you expect to play this mod. The excitement you've generated here is because your game features a bunch of Wing Commander ships. People don't really care that it has extra designs that you've made up.

well, i did ask if anybody knew any canon ships for retros and civvies in general for that time, i never got an answer.
since there do not seem to be any canon pilgrim or retro ships for that time, i really had no choice.
i mean, wc:pi made up new civilian ships for the same time, and i can't remember any great agruments about the canonity of the camel or the hunchback.

without a story, this mod will get boring real fast, so there will be one.
however, we have discussed releasing a skimish/mp demo sort of thing somewhere along the way.

@bradmick:eek:f course it doesn't look exactly like a centurion or stiletto, but it does have certain visual elements of these ships, it i don't think it has anything in common with the wc:p piranha

It looks absolutely nothing like a centurion or stilleto. Instead it looks like a bastardized rapier.

EDIT: In that vein you could name it the Cutlass, which would fit in far better with the naming theme of some fighters in the WC1/2 era (scimitar, rapier, epee, saber, broadsword, stiletto, etc...).

without a story, this mod will get boring real fast, so there will be one.
Only if Nexus itself is boring to actually play. I know of tons of MODs that do very well, and only have skirmish/multiplayer. They only had a vague backstory, WC's is considerably more detailed.

Chevieblazer said:
well, i did ask if anybody knew any canon ships for retros and civvies in general for that time, i never got an answer.
since there do not seem to be any canon pilgrim or retro ships for that time, i really had no choice.
i mean, wc:pi made up new civilian ships for the same time, and i can't remember any great agruments about the canonity of the camel or the hunchback.

I replied to your retro/pilgrim thread. Yeah, information on those factions for that time period is generally very lacking. So the choice is pretty obvious. I don't know why you'd bother including them at all if there's practically no information on them for your time period. The Camel and Hunchback make sense because they're just a couple of civilian ships. They're not trying to force in some entire faction that may not even exist. And Howard Day/BradMick have also demonstrated that they don't just randomly toss crap out because they felt like it. There's a good reason for each thing they introduce to their mod. It's also worth noting that the beauty of a really good game is that it's got both a compelling story and gameplay. The story is interesting to see and the game is fun to play. In a great game, you don't end up needing both because each half is so damn fun. If the final story is anything like the outlines you've posted so far, your game will be better off without it.

chris, i've been posting in another thread a while ago that i am working on a new storyline, together with quail pilot who has volunteered to create a new story for wc:t that is canon.

the reason i insist so much on an sp campaign is that my battletech mod still doesn't have one, and it is the question we get asked all the time, when we come up with a storyline.

nexus is even worse than generals, with the ai being heavily dependant on scripts and such, which is why there is no official skirmish gaming.
the idea to push forward with messia was a mistake, which is why i pulled it back and instead have been resuming work on a wc1 mod.

there will be no changes to the canon in this mod except for the ones dictated by the game engine, such as tghe new shuttle classes(because they dock with the nose only) and the introduction of capitol ships to factions such as the militia, simply because all nexus fighters need motherships.

all those, civilians, retros, militia etc are part of the wc canon, and they were around in the 2650ties. so there is no reason why they should not be in the mod, to make the universe a bit more filled with life and credibility.

so basically, yes, i am adding in a few things to make this work, simply because there is no data available on them(if you tell me the centurion or the talon was around at that time already, i'll put them in instead) but no, i'm not trying to force the messia storylibne into wc1, nor anything else that does not belong there.

No, I don't believe either the Centurion or Talon were yet available. You should be very careful about making certain assumptions though. "Retros are canon. They might have been around in the 2650s. So making something up about them in the 2650s adds credibility" is not an automatically logical or accurate train of thought. Also be careful even about using the word "canon." It's misappropriated at least once in your post and over invoked by people in general.

uhh, i guess credibility was the wrong word. i guess that's one of the few occaisions you notice german is my dominant language.

what i was trying to say is that by populating the missions with more than "just" tcn and kin forces, such as militia, civilians, pirates, retros and what not, it will make the universe we depict in the mod more alive and populated, thus making the picture of the universe more believable, just like a picture of a forest or a field will look a bit more credible with the odd animal in sight;)

The thought never ocurred to me that you might speak another language. Certainly a few cameo ships could add to the atmosphere. In that case, I'd leave out the Pilgrims though, especially if you're going to mention smaller factions like the Retros already.

he he, i'm bilingual, but german is dominant, since i live in germany and don't get to speak english a lot(but thanks for the praise)

as for the pilgrims, we'll see... :D

We know that the Church of Man purchased its Talons from Gov. Menesch 25 years before Privateer -- so, 2654. It stands to reason, then, that the the Church existed in the 2650s and (wait for it) they were flying Talons.

I don't have any specific problem with creating new ships. It's a weird thing to do given the incredible number of ships already seen in Wing Commander, but it's not necessarily a bad thing... consciously giving them the same name as an existing fighter is just silly, though. Origin can name a million ships Concordia -- fans absolutely shouldn't.

(As for capital ships, there aren't any -- the Retros are a silly little joke faction in Privateer... they don't have warships for exactly the same reason conspiracy nuts don't have aircraft carriers.)

Chevieblazer said:
well, space carriers don't need to be warships...
and this is a nexus necessity, because fighters can not operate on their own

Is there some reason you can't just make them really small, fast "capital" ships as a work-around?

Retros do have bases, just not in the capital ship form. They had a whole planet in RF, at least.

t.c.cgi said:
Is there some reason you can't just make them really small, fast "capital" ships as a work-around?

I wass kind of thinking that thers also no reason why they might not have a transport or something that for game engine purposes would technicaly be the mothership, but practicaly and story wise would simply be an overbloated shuttle carrying a priest or something

Back