Pilot Crew Check in

know Wing Commander is one thing causing me to spend my days working towards serving in the (Royal) Australian Air Force.
I'd love to be a pilot but I understand it's a VERY competitive and tough career to get. But I love the military in general. So if the Air Force says "don't come near me" I'll run off to the Navy, if they say no there is plenty of jobs in the Army.
But being a pilot is on the top of my list.
I'm just waiting to live out Wing Commander 1.

Hey another aussie!! I guess that is intelligent life out there and also going for Air Force...heheh

I tried to get in to the RAF as a pilot but it turns out i was to stupid LOL so i ended up joining as a tech 4 years ago but hey some ones gotta keep the birds in the air!!!!!!!!!!

right after i played my first wing commander all i wanted to do is fly. that's always been my dream to fly a fighter in the heat of combat defending my country until recently i found out i couldn't even join the air force at all because i have a learning disability...fuckers!!

After playing wing commander i was hooked on the idea of flying. Pity my eye sight rulled out the RAF but when i was younger i joined the Air Training Corps(ATC) and they let me fly and shoot for FREE!!! Anybody else here been in any cadet forces?

Dralthi5 said:
Definitely. I got into WC when I was 12, and my dad was in the Air Force. So he tried to encourage me to go into the Academy. For a while, I was very tempted. Then in 8th grade, my vision got completely fucked up, so there went my dreams to be a pilot. I still wanted to be an Air Force officer up until maybe my junior year of high school. Then I decided it wasn't for me. I do know a guy at the Academy now. Lazy as hell in high school, but he got a 1600 on his SATs. A regular Zach Morris.

Now my hair is past my shoulders and I'm coasting through college with no ambition. :p
it was 5ht grade for me when my vison went to hell.
-Upyr1

Well my siblings and I wanted to joined the defence force, though my younger brother cannot now, because he does not have 20/20 vision. My sister and I are now applying with the Royal Australian Air Force and waiting to see the outcome..

yay!!

Heh, since I couldn't join the RCAF, I decided to just take up regular flying. After getting my PPL, I had a realization. I didn't want to become a pilot just to fly fighter jets. After all, I don't do so good at combat. It turned out I had a passion for aerobatics.

Just too bad we don't have such nice jets for aerobatics in civil aviation, though ;). (Sure, there are some nice aerobatic planes, though.). Perhaps I should be an aerobatics instructor.

Sgt_thomson said:
After playing wing commander i was hooked on the idea of flying. Pity my eye sight rulled out the RAF but when i was younger i joined the Air Training Corps(ATC) and they let me fly and shoot for FREE!!! Anybody else here been in any cadet forces?

I used to be in the ATC, for about 5/6 Months when I was 13. Don't remember why I left, one of the biggest mistakes on my life. But oh well

I came very close to becoming an USAF pilot twice. Once as I was graduating high school, and then once when I was 23 and struggling with my theatre career. Both times I got as far as speaking with recruiters and getting the paperwork - I already had been accepted in high school to the academy. Both times theatre stepped in and other opportunities pulled me away. Now I'm too old to consider it again, besides having a growing career elsewhere.

I always wanted to be a pilot, and played Flight Simulator and other flight games before WC1 even came out, but WC games and the Strike Commander game as well certainly didn't slow my desire. My grandfather was a pilot flying the Burma Hump in WWII and I get my smaller build and perfect vision from him. I was being recruited to become a pilot by the USAF when I was still 16 thanks to my grades, size and my vision, but while I knew I was capable of living the military life, I wasn't sure it would be worth it. (For those who weren't aware, the USAF is the only branch of the service that actively recruits people under the height of 5'8" for pilots; the smaller the person generally the more G-forces they can sustain.)

Now with the current commander-in-chief sending our military in to invade other countries, I'm rather glad I never joined up because I've never had to question my moral choices in following orders as a result.

Watching Luke in Star Wars: A New Hope made me want to be a pilot when I was younger. Then I got glasses, and that kind of ended that dream. Then I watched the Wing Commander movie, and it brought back those feelings from so long ago. I'd still like to be a pilot one day, but it's unfortunate that I can't fly fighter jets.

Being a space fighter is not much of a possibility. But yeah, of course after WC1 I felt like piloting a fighter.

Jacob said:
Watching Luke in Star Wars: A New Hope made me want to be a pilot when I was younger. Then I got glasses, and that kind of ended that dream. Then I watched the Wing Commander movie, and it brought back those feelings from so long ago. I'd still like to be a pilot one day, but it's unfortunate that I can't fly fighter jets.

Heck, I'm in the same er, um, boat. Luckily, civil aviation isn't so picky, and you can fly fighters that are de-milled. If I had enough money, I'd love to get one.

I did realize why I wanted to fly a fighter though - it was aerobatics. Too much Top Gun, Snowbirds, Blue Angels, Thunderbirds...

Back