Pilgrim Truth

Shane

Spaceman
Finally found a little free time to read the Pilgrim truth synopsis, so this may have been covered when it first came out.

First, thanks to those who made it happen. I've made no secret I've never been a big fan of the movie, so I haven't read the other two of Telep's novels. I think I might based on what I saw in the synopsis. Here is my question though. Those of us who don't like the Blair as a Pilgrim concept usually mention the fact that it is not mentioned in the games. The synopsis seems to indicate Blair also has special Pilgrim powers (like I said, I need to read the other two books.) I think I would be more accepting of the Pilgrim aspect of Blair if Telep (if he gets the chance to write and publish the book) were to add something about the "Super-Pilgrims" also stripping the "powers" of Pilgrims who chose to stay behind, like Blair and Paladin. If the "Super-Pilgrims" were able to accomplish all that they did in 350 years, then this might be in the realm of possibility as well. It would also cause people to no longer hate and fear Blair, because he is now "normal." Granted some people would never give up a grudge, but hopefully most would. Any thoughts?

One thing about Blair being Pilgrim, it does give an explanation to why he was thought to be a traitor in WC2.

I, myself, had some trouble understanding how a man as decorated as Blair, a man who got promoted to lt. colonel in such a short career and made a huge difference in the progress of the war during 3 tours of duty could be considered a traitor for having been unable to save his carrier. Sure, his claims of Kilrathi cloaking tech were unbelievable at the time, but between that and being directly responsible for the destruction of the Claw, there is a small difference.

The fact that he`s Pilgrim could explain why no one believed him, no?

Good point. However, if I recall correctly they didn't find him guilty of treason, but negligence and perhaps dereliction of duty for not returning when he was scheduled because he was following the "ghost" ships. I thought (and this is based on almost 10 year memory) that the WC 1&2 Guide said something about there was evidence the attack came from the direction Blair was patrolling. I do think Tolwyn's hostility towards Pilgrims, based on his actions in that Synopsis, I would not be suprised he still held a grudge against former Pilgrims, though it is implied he has a good relationship with Paladin in Freedom flight.

It also might be we did not here about Pilgrim's on the Claw because it was made an order by the CAG and/or the Captain to not discuss the issue. There are always going to be more minor issues, like why did everyone, Angel, Paladin, etc. have amnesia on the Claw when they met the game Blair :) But this kind of thing (merging different media into one universe and sometimes covering old ground) is never going to be perfect.

I guess I kind of saw the movie as being an alternate reality from the games. I mean, Paladin's not a fighter pilot in the movie, Blair and Marshall (Maniac) are the best of friends, and the Kilrathi don't look right at all. Also, the ships look nothing like they do in the games. In fact, I have the (mis)fortune of owning the "Confederation Handbook" and in it there's a diagram of the Rapier. Well, the writers decided to trash the old Rapier from WC1 and replace it with the movie version. Very bad form, I say.

Paladin's not a fighter pilot in the movie

And yet, he flies fighters in the movie.

Blair and Marshall (Maniac) are the best of friends

Just like in the games and books and TV show...

Also, the ships look nothing like they do in the games.

They've changed the look of the WC1 ships numerous times in the games...

In fact, I have the (mis)fortune of owning the "Confederation Handbook"

I'm sure there are lots of people who aren't stupid who could benefit from that book. You should donate it to one of them.

and in it there's a diagram of the Rapier. Well, the writers decided to trash the old Rapier from WC1 and replace it with the movie version.

The Rapier in the movie is the CF-117b Rapier... the movie takes place *before* WC1 -- during which the F-44 Rapier II, a *completely* different fighter, comes online.

As for not discussing Pilgrims on the 'Claw... I mean, we see a *tiny* bit of the talk that goes on -- and how much of your time do you spend talking about what religion you are with your friends? (Plus, come on, the game was made before the Pilgrims were introduced... just accept it as that, something that was introduced after the game was made -- that doesn't make it *impossible* for the Pilgrims to exist).

You know what, I don't care if they came out with a WC product that said Hobbes was Blair's father, I just want some new WC stuff, Pilgrim Truth included! :)

Hey, looks like I'm not a lobster anymore.

[Edited by Dralthi5 on 04-05-2001 at 17:24]

I rather liked the Confederation Handbook. Gave me a (slightly) larger appreciation for the movie.

That Bossman death letter was kinda cool. The Tiger Claw blueprint thing was pretty cool, even for it being the stupid movie bengal.

Although I do think the whole Pilgrim thing was pretty dumb. Maybe in the next game (oh yes) Blair can use his special pilgrim powers to choke people and stuff...and maybe weild a lightsaber....YEAH!!!

Originally posted by Icedagger
In fact, I have the (mis)fortune of owning the "Confederation Handbook" and in it there's a diagram of the Rapier. Well, the writers decided to trash the old Rapier from WC1 and replace it with the movie version. Very bad form, I say.

I'd take it off your hands for the cost of shipping and a little something for your trouble. Yeah, I'd rather they not have done some of what they did, but I think the ship designs were in part a matter of the change in technology.

This is the kind of argument, btw, I feel would pop up incessently if they made a WC game set in the "past."

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Although I do think the whole Pilgrim thing was pretty dumb. Maybe in the next game (oh yes) Blair can use his special pilgrim powers to choke people and stuff...and maybe weild a lightsaber....YEAH!!!

Stop being stupid.

Now that Ladiesman^ mentions it, the guy who plays the WCII and beyond Blair does sorta look like that one guy from Star Wars. A bit older though. Still an eerie resemblence. :)

[Edited by Shane on 04-05-2001 at 18:54]

I feel as if I've been mocked! Thanks for the info, though, especially on the whole Rapier thing. Plus, I haven't seen the movie for a while, so I forgot the whole Paladin flying thing. Also, I've only seen one episode of Academy, and from the books I've read, Maniac and Blair seemed more rivals than friends. I will have to do some more looking into this. And another thing, I was being sarcastic about the (mis)fortune thing. The book is actually very informative. I just wish the focus could have been more on the games. Oh well.

The only place i could see Blair and Maniac not being friends was in the WC3 novel where Blair states repeatedly that he hates Maniac. In WC4 novel its more like a pity relationship until Maniac starts showing some responsibility.

I don't think Blair ever said he hated Maniac. They were always friends, albeit in a rather competitive way. You'll notice they get along much better during WC4.

Yeah thats what i was alluding to in WC4 but he did say he hated Maniac, did not like him in any way,in WC3

Hmmhh...I was thinking of Maniac's not-so-flattering comments in the Prophecy manual, as well as the general competiveness throughout the games. You'll have to bear with me, though, as I have not yet played 3 and 4. I have read the novels, of course, but they always leave things out. And I never meant to say they were enemies; just not as friendly as they were in the movie.

Well maybe he never specifically said he hated Maniac but on page 22 of WC3 "Major Todd Marshall looked anything but happy to see him and the feeling was mutual." And the general feeling throughout the whole thing was that Maniac did NOT consider him a friend or even a rival.

That's exactly what I mean when Maniac is competitive. He's always been in Blair's shadow, and ranting on like that shows he's quite jealous of his position. But you'll also notice that Maniac didn't slag on Blair about the "Coward of K'tithrak Mang" bit.

Page 339
"Yeah. Yeah, there's precious few of us left, Major. Two Excaliburs destroyed yesterday, and another one damaged. Only four of us left in Gold Squadron." Blair backed away a few paces, his eyes fixed on Marshall's face. "Id deck you right now, Maniac, and to hell with the consequences. But i figure I'd rather have you on my wing when we hit Kilrah"

Maniac snorted. "Yeah, right. You never thougth I was any good before. So why would you want me this time?"

"Simple," Blair told him. "Odds are none of us are coming back from this one, but I figure you're too arrogant and too stupid to bow down. So maybe I will have the pleasure of seeing you fry before the damned mission's over and done with."

And he was serious.

Back