Pick Your Favorite Sibling (October 1, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Our new poll takes one step back from the Wing Commander series and asks which other Origin franchise was your favorite. Bioforge, Crusader, Cybermage, Strike Commander, System Shock, Ultima and Wings of Glory are your prime choices. If you're a fan of Bad Blood, Pacific Strike, Jane's F-15 or any other of Origin's games, hit "Discuss" below and tell everyone why.

Our last poll tried to find out what you thought were the worst disasters in Wing Commander. Before Blair's Love Life started to take the lead, the Inner World Strontium Bursts were in first place. Many people indicated that they voted for this option as a representative for the entire false armistice tragedy and Hakaga invasion fleet. Don't know what all this business is about? You've got some Wing Commandering to do!

What is the biggest disaster in Wing Commander?

McAuliffe Ambush: 9.85%

Goddard Colony Sivar Attack: 8.06%

Inner World Strontium Bursts: 14.03%

Locanda Bio Missile Events: 4.55%

Loss of TCS Behemoth: 11.42%

GenSelect on FT957: 9.03%

Blair's Love Life: 43.06%

Total Votes: 1340

--
Original update published on October 1, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
Im gonna go for system shock and my reason is (besides the fact that is is the olny other orgin game i have) it is one relly kick *** game. Im in the process of replaying it now (I never finished it oddly enoungh maybe because i was young at the time and SHODAN messages scared the living sh** outta me.) I have the mac CD version which it not only have the Email voices but it also has a great sound track. (The music worked before but i can't get it to work again.)

It was a tough choice between Strike Commander and Crusader, but Crusader is... you know, Crusader.

(it would have been an even tougher choice had Pacific Strike been in there; for some reason I have a great deal of sentiment for this this buggy and troublesome game)

Did you ever play Wings of Glory? I really think it's one of the greatest games ever made.

Yeah, Wings of Glory was great too, although I never got very far in it... I actually only got my hands on the game two or three years ago, and just haven't found the time to play through it.

That's a tough one, even the games which weren't commercial successful or had badly delivered gameplay were good and special ones. My vote goes to the Ultima series, the original product franchise of Origin. Cybermage was kind of funny but unbalanced/inconsistent. Damn, the rest were also much praising worth.

Does anyone remember Space Rogue? Also an old interesting Origin game. But not such a great fish than those mentioned titles in the poll. But it consisted many ideas of the later Privateers and Wing Commanders and the coverpicture of its packing reminds slightly on Freelancer.

I voted for Strike Commander...fantastic concept. A mercenary squadron of F-16s and one F-22, it was just awesome. You could mail order your weaponry and then go lay waste to just about anywhere in the world. :) I never got to play Wings of Glory but I remember really wanting to try it.

Sorry everybody, but in addition to WC, I also have Strike Commander and Ultima, but unfortunately have never been able to install it!
So I voted for Ultima...

I thought Wings of Glory was a bit dull. The story never got to me.

Strike Commander however... that was a real treat. I loved the feel of the game ... it had atmosphere. Few game succeed in delivering atmosphere and SC is one of the few that did it real wel.

From the manual with weapon shop and missle advertisements, to the twists in the story.

I dunno how big a commercial success it was but I figure it wasn't huge... else there woulde definately have been a sequel.

Truely awsome game.

Onde Pik said:
I dunno how big a commercial success it was but I figure it wasn't huge... else there woulde definately have been a sequel.

Plenty of big games don't get sequels, and plenty of small games do. Strike Commander did get an expansion pack, Tactical Operations.

Probably all of them are worthy of being played. I can personally recommend Strike Commander and Ultima. (I believe I started with VIII).

Strike Commander. I still remember the sound of the eagle at the intro’s start. And the graphics were awesome. Wing Commander and Strike Commander, those were good times.

Back