Pet Science-Fiction Game Project

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
I was thinking about a Sci-Fi game... totally independant from WC, but using either a WC Engine, or an engine like it...

Also, since I ain't getting any younger (I was born in '78 for the record), I figured I might as well propose my idea now.

Anyone want to assist me?

-Concordia

Yes! I'll help you with your completely unspecified project with unknown boundaries, resources and goals!

I'll elaborate in more detail.

The story will be some kind of Science Fiction Story. I have some ideas of a storyline ready...

I'd prefer not to immediately involve aliens in the story. It would involve humans only. The story would be like most of the stupid crap that's happening now except in space. For example, a terrorist strike causes Earth to react and destroy the terrorists, but some get away, and then Earth ends up going mad and waging war on nearby neighbors who have territory they want that they could have never waged war on before due to political constraints, but due to this anti-terrorism crusade, they can, so they start accusing them of being the terrorists new base of operations and demand that they inspect them and basically have free access through their space, they of course refuse, and Earth becomes more and more demanding, then they agree, and Earth tells them basically "too late, we gave you a chance, now we're going to occupy you by force" and then they go to another neighboring area of space and do the same thing by saying... they're now here, they're now here. Or something like that.

It wouldn't be exactly like our "War on Terror", but it would be close.

-Concordia
(I got more stuff coming)

Technology...
[BASIC]

Okay... I'll keep it simple (This wouldn't have to actually be incorporated in the game... it is sort of like a gaming manual though)

POWER-SOURCE

Matter/Anti-Matter
-Utilizes Hydrogen Nuclei (Protons) and Antiprotons
-Used for powering ships main-power supply
-Powers Artificial-Gravity System
-Partially Powers Inertial-Damping System
-Powers FTL-Drive (FTL-Drives have a seperate reactor of their own, but they use M/AM supply)
-Powers Jump-Drive
-Powers Energy-Based Weaponry
-Powers Radar (FTL)
-Powers Radar (Sublight)
-Powers Stellar Ramscoop

Fusion
-Utilizes Deuterium/Tritium and Tritium/Tritium Reactions
-Used primarily for propulsion
-Partially powers inertial-damping field
-Auxiliary Power-Source
-Provides Neutrons for Stellar-Hydrogen Intake (Plays a role in creating Deuterium, and Possibly Tritium)

PROPULSION

-Sublight: Fusion Drives
Maneuvering Mode (Slow): 0-500 kps roughly
High-Speed Maneuvering: 500-10,000 kps
Ramscoops-Closed: 10,000 kps to 150,000 kps

-FTL: Some kind of "Warp" Drive
Civilian Ships: 1c-365c (1 light year a day)
Military Ships: 365c-730c (1-2 light-years a day)

-Jump: Some kind of nearly instantaneous jump-drive akin to the WC jump-drive.
Only Military/Spy/Science-Ships: No Civilian Ships allowed to have Jump-Drive

WEAPONRY (Basic)

-Guns
Main: Heavy guns designed to engage Capital Ships
Point-Defense: Small Fighter-Size guns designed for the roll of picking off fighters and missiles.
Fighter: Light guns, generally non-turreted for fighter-use.

-Missiles
Anti-Ship: Huge missiles designed for damaging and destroying capital ships
Anti-Fighter: Standard-sized missiles geared for destroying fighters, and Anti-Fighter Missiles
Point-Defense: Sort of like the WC Gatling-Launch... it's guided. It's very weak in terms of yield compared to the bigger missiles, but you can carry lots of them.

COMMUNICATION
Standard: Lightspeed communication...
FTL: Faster than Light Communication
Subspace: (I'll come up with a better name later) Some kind of messaging system that can work at FTL-speeds. Of course, it can only be used below certain FTL-speeds and can only send a single letter at a time.

RADAR
Standard: Ditto
FTL: Faster than Light Radar: Nearly instantaneous radar.

REFUELLING SYSTEMS
Hydrogen Ramscoop: Uses powerful magnetic field to draw in streams of hydrogen gas. Used to refuel the ship.
Hydrogen Primer: Uses neutrons from the Fusion Reaction to produce Deuterium and Tritium for fusion reaction. Remaining hydrogen either stored for use in the Matter/Anti-Matter reaction or some ionized, and the electrons stripped off to produce neutrons to help get more deuterium/tritium (if possible).
Refuelling Receptacle: Some ships draw in less fuel than they consume, so refuelling is necessary... tankers can put a refuelling probe into the receptacle to pump in fuel. Several receptacles are located on the ship for refuelling several different systems.
1.) Hydrogen (Protium)
2.) Deuterium
3.) Tritium
4.) Anti-Hydrogen

SHIELDS: Powerful Energy Fields designed to protect the ship against damage

ARMOR: Solid Stuff designed to absorb damage so the ship doesn't.

CORE: The ship's damage resisting potential sans shields and armor.

-Concordia

Ideas about the ships.

Okay, in WC and many Science Fiction Games, the same thing happens...

You have very sleek fighters, then you got some bombers which are sort of clunky, but still sleek like a fighter. Then suddenly you have these huge boxy-ass capships.

I don't want to do it where the capships just look like big fighters, but I want a smoother transition from sleek fighter, to clunky capital ship.

But even while the larger capships are clunky, I still want some sleekness to them. They should all be sleek.

Since the story may span over 20 years, I would probably see to it that the first generation of Capships be somewhat boxy compared to their successors, but not too boxy anyway... and roughly every 5 years in the story-line they should get sleeker and sleeker.

-Concordia
(More Coming)

sweet idea, Concordia...

If possible, I would love to help...

But, there's a few things i would like to ask:

FTL rader? by this do you mean a rader than can detected objects travelling faster than light, ie a ship about to jump into the system? or a radar that uses a frequency that travels FTL?

"Hydrogen Ramscoop: Uses powerful magnetic field to draw in streams of hydrogen gas. Used to refuel the ship" very good idea for collecting hydrogen in space, but is there a high enough hydrogen concentration in space to power a ship? maybe if a ship runs out of juice near a gas gaint/ planet with a hydrogen based atmosphere it could use a ramscoop for emergence refuels?

Concordia said:
POWER-SOURCE

-Powers Jump-Drive

-Jump: Some kind of nearly instantaneous jump-drive akin to the WC jump-drive.
Only Military/Spy/Science-Ships: No Civilian Ships allowed to have Jump-Drive

FTL: Faster than Light Communication
Subspace: (I'll come up with a better name later) Some kind of messaging system that can work at FTL-speeds. Of course, it can only be used below certain FTL-speeds and can only send a single letter at a time.

RADAR
Standard: Ditto
FTL: Faster than Light Radar: Nearly instantaneous radar.

REFUELLING SYSTEMS
Hydrogen Ramscoop: Uses powerful magnetic field to draw in streams of hydrogen gas. Used to refuel the ship.
Hydrogen Primer: Uses neutrons from the Fusion Reaction to produce Deuterium and Tritium for fusion reaction. Remaining hydrogen either stored for use in the Matter/Anti-Matter reaction or some ionized, and the electrons stripped off to produce neutrons to help get more deuterium/tritium (if possible).
Refuelling Receptacle: Some ships draw in less fuel than they consume, so refuelling is necessary... tankers can put a refuelling probe into the receptacle to pump in fuel. Several receptacles are located on the ship for refuelling several different systems.
1.) Hydrogen (Protium)
2.) Deuterium
3.) Tritium
4.) Anti-Hydrogen

-Concordia

Few things. First, if you are going to do a project different than WC, then come up with an original technology, not the "jump drive", because then it won't seem so similar. Also, there isn't enough hydrogen in space, so you could use the hydrogen to power the matter/antimatter generator. Plus, using a "faster than light radar" isn't specific enough, you can't jut call something a name, and not back it up with details. Just to let you know, I think that it is a great idea and I hope that it gets made.

Rostek said:
sweet idea, Concordia...

If possible, I would love to help...

But, there's a few things i would like to ask:

FTL rader? by this do you mean a rader than can detected objects travelling faster than light, ie a ship about to jump into the system? or a radar that uses a frequency that travels FTL?

It's a type of radar that travels at speeds in excess of light.

"Hydrogen Ramscoop: Uses powerful magnetic field to draw in streams of hydrogen gas. Used to refuel the ship" very good idea for collecting hydrogen in space, but is there a high enough hydrogen concentration in space to power a ship? maybe if a ship runs out of juice near a gas gaint/ planet with a hydrogen based atmosphere it could use a ramscoop for emergence refuels?

While it could be used on Gas-Giants to perform a giant-refuel, it is generally designed to work in space. It's field is powerful enough to work as advertized in the fictional story line ;)

Woolie Wool said:
I think modding FS would be better since it's so much easier.

Sounds like a good idea... but doesn't all the FS mods have even the fighters with turrets everywhere? I want some of the ships to have fixed gun-mounts y'know?

Bob McDob said:

Also, when they say the universe is flat, does that mean space-warping is impossible? Or is it just pretty much plane-like (flat in terms of a table-top surface)?

I would not want to tap any "Dark Energy". Despite it being the "founainhead of the universe", it is what is keeping the universe expanding. Taking it away might slow the rate of expansion, possibly halt it, or even send it backwards. And the universe might be working in equilibrium. Screw it up and the whole universe goes out of equilibrium possibly. Who knows, taking a gram of this stuff could upset the whole equilibrium possibly.

Balrog said:
Few things. First, if you are going to do a project different than WC, then come up with an original technology, not the "jump drive", because then it won't seem so similar. Also, there isn't enough hydrogen in space, so you could use the hydrogen to power the matter/antimatter generator. Plus, using a "faster than light radar" isn't specific enough, you can't jut call something a name, and not back it up with details. Just to let you know, I think that it is a great idea and I hope that it gets made.

It's not exactly like that, but I'm trying to point out that it works similar...

-Concordia

Concordia said:
Sounds like a good idea... but doesn't all the FS mods have even the fighters with turrets everywhere? I want some of the ships to have fixed gun-mounts y'know?

I think you're confusing Freelancerspace with Freespacespace.

Back