Perfect Plan

Kyran

Rear Admiral
For the last two weeks I've been working on a campaign for Flight Commander. Currently there are five mostly-finished missions, three modded ships and few speech files. You need the Christmas RG pack from http://www.cyberionsystems.com/rg/downloads.html

http://myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/New Folder.zip - Speech Files
http://myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/PerfectPlan_Missions.zip - Campaign

I've had a few problems. The first is when I tell a cap ship to follow when you enter the next nav your stuck inside. The second is on the last mission when you enter the second nav and you press x the game crashes. Third is when your in the middle of a largeish fight and you push caps lock you can't target. :D

First, this mod requires

1.4 patch 3

I'm really impressed with this mod, the voice actors are terrific, and it looks like the story is going to be well integrated with the missions. Once it's all finished up, I'd recommend putting it into one download people can install on top of 1.4.

Lt.Death100 said:
So is there a story behind this? Or is it just a generic campaign?

Yeah, theres a story. Quite a largish one really. I'm trying to figure out different ways of telling it inside the campain.

These five missions are part of the intro. There will also be the option of being on the opposite side. So the finished episode/intro will be ten main missions (five for each side) and a few variations of the main missions if you do poorly or some special triggers are set. (Don't know how to do global varibles or special missions yet.)

Kyran said:
Yeah, theres a story. Quite a largish one really. I'm trying to figure out different ways of telling it inside the campain.

These five missions are part of the intro. There will also be the option of being on the opposite side. So the finished episode/intro will be ten main missions (five for each side) and a few variations of the main missions if you do poorly or some special triggers are set. (Don't know how to do global varibles or special missions yet.)
So I think it would be good if you could tell us the premise of your story.

eddieb said:
I'm really impressed with this mod, the voice actors are terrific, and it looks like the story is going to be well integrated with the missions. Once it's all finished up, I'd recommend putting it into one download people can install on top of 1.4.

Be sure to post some screenshots as well when you get to a larger release.

Kyran said:
Don't know how to do global varibles or special missions yet.)

Yay, someone figured out these might be needed. That is, variables that persist between missions. You can't do those just yet, but I can put them in.

I've already added mouse support, and support for captions. I'll probably post a new patch soon.

eddieb said:
I've already added mouse support, and support for captions. I'll probably post a new patch soon.

Wonderful news. I might actually get around to trying it now

Lt.Death100 said:
So I think it would be good if you could tell us the premise of your story.

The Perfect Plan (for Flight Commander) opens with Stephen returning to the Sonic Underground after the receiving a distress call. Upon arriving a wing of Alliance fighters lead by Spite (voiced by Ian) began their attack. After intense fighting Stephen's wing and the Sonic Underground are severely damaged and are forced to Network HQ to rearm. Once there they are informed that their beloved carrier is be handed over, for special assignment.

ChrisReid said:
Be sure to post some screenshots as well when you get to a larger release.
Might as well post some now. :D

http://www.myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/PerfectPlanMission3.PNG
http://www.myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/PerfectPlanMission4.PNG
http://www.myopracticinstitute.org/perfectplan/PerfectPlanMission5.PNG

When I get around to doing some filming I'll be sure to some more. Its a shame that I don't have any of those cool uniforms or helmets.

Kyran said:
I've had a few problems. The first is when I tell a cap ship to follow when you enter the next nav your stuck inside. The second is on the last mission when you enter the second nav and you press x the game crashes. Third is when your in the middle of a largeish fight and you push caps lock you can't target. :D

Consider changing to a different formation. Looks at formations.xml and search for a change formation command.

Don't press x for now, I'm using it to test turrets :). Don't push caps lock, sorry.

Kyran said:
The Perfect Plan (for Flight Commander) opens with Stephen returning to the Sonic Underground after the receiving a distress call. Upon arriving a wing of Alliance fighters lead by Spite (voiced by Ian) began their attack. After intense fighting Stephen's wing and the Sonic Underground are severely damaged and are forced to Network HQ to rearm. Once there they are informed that their beloved carrier is be handed over, for special assignment.

What are all these things? Sonic Underground & Alliance? Who is Ian? What's Network HQ? It sounds like we're missing something big here.

Kyran said:
As Chris said it's pretty hard to understand the story when you don't explain the background of those organizations and people you mentioned.

ChrisReid said:
What are all these things? Sonic Underground & Alliance? Who is Ian? What's Network HQ? It sounds like we're missing something big here.
Lt.Death100 said:
As Chris said it's pretty hard to understand the story when you don't explain the background of those organizations and people you mentioned.
Its still very much a work in progress. Originally I was planning of making a world domination Flash game with some Wing Commander elements thrown in for good measure. I decided to give up on that because I wasn't really good at making the buildings.
When I decided to give Flight Commander a go I thought it would be simpler to just use the story and name of that canned Flash game. Modifying it into the Wing Commander world.

Link trying somewhat to explain it.

Sonic Underground
The Sonic Underground is the name of a carrier. No crossover with Sonic Underground here. :D

Ian
His the guy that voiced Spite. His on the Alliance side who is featured in the first and second missions.

The Network and Alliance
Two different organised groups of people who are at war which each other.

Network HQ
The base of operations of The Network. Its a starbase.

Dyret said:
So... is this like an internet war?
In short, no. Thats just where the names came from.

I'm going to use this site for the mod. Right now I've uploaded Alpha 1.1 to downloads section.

Notable Changes:
  • Ships which had their AI off will now ignore that when your a tratior.
  • The option of joining the Alliance is in place. (not complete)
  • Another voice set, Reject. (bascily audio files which were rejected from Rangor's Glory)

Maybe you could post an announcement with the following:

A brief description of what this is:

A direct download link.
Other things they will need (FC1.4, any FC patches needed for this mod). Some instructions to get people going might help.

Back