People with glasses in the military?

Lazy Panda

Spaceman
Hi,

Just a notice side notice, the person who is lending the face for Lt. Freyers is wearing glasses. Shouldn't people in need of glasses be mustered out, or has the TCSN different musters for the military than we do?

Not necessarily. AFAIK people with glasses can't become fighter pilots, but about everything else. I've seen alot people with glasses in the army.

Well, people in the military today are just getting eye surgery, but there's plenty of people in certain positions who just stick with the glasses.

Yeah, there are people in the military with glasses, but it always seemed strange to me that the Black Lance soldier that's checking the cargo pods on the flight deck of the Black Lance starbase has glasses. First, I would think that by the 26th century, eye surgery would be the norm. Second, if it weren't, I couldn't imagine the Black Lance accepting someone with a fault such as poor eyesight.

Well that Black Lance guy with glasses you saw on the Axius starbase, I figured that's why they put him in charge of inventory. Cause of his glasses?

Lazy Panda said:
Just a notice side notice, the person who is lending the face for Lt. Freyers is wearing glasses. Shouldn't people in need of glasses be mustered out, or has the TCSN different musters for the military than we do?
As people have already pointed out, official WC material seems to indicate that people who wear glasses are allowed into military service, so we just saw no reason we shouldn't let it happen in Standoff.

(As far as our references go, WC Canon > Real Life in the 21st Century... I certainly wouldn't cut anything out simply because "it wouldn't be happen in the USAF!" or whatever).

Mad Cow said:
Yeah, there are people in the military with glasses, but it always seemed strange to me that the Black Lance soldier that's checking the cargo pods on the flight deck of the Black Lance starbase has glasses. First, I would think that by the 26th century, eye surgery would be the norm. Second, if it weren't, I couldn't imagine the Black Lance accepting someone with a fault such as poor eyesight.

His eyes could have started out meeting Black Lance standards and may have been damaged somehow by a laser during combat.

Or maybe their just super groovy scanner goggles! :D
I have heard of few cases were people require glasses, in certain situations-like night blindness, where they are allowed to fly aircraft. Although the condition is fairly mild, unlike mine which was 20/400 in one eye, and has developed after the individual has completed flight school.

people who require glass normally are not allowed to fly. Reading glasses as pilots get older is ok I think, it costs a lot of money to train a pilot so as long as it is not too bad then I guess they can stay.

In wartime I don't think wearing glasses would preclude someone from serving, never did in our time. Douglas Badar flew with prosthetic legs and Carl Brashear was allowed to serve with prosthetic leg.

As for eye surgery, I think that sometimes people like to keep hold of the past. Surgery for everything would sure be boring.

Glasses are allowed in the military. If you enter recruit training with glasses, they make you wear the ugly birth control glasses (or as they called it, contraceptive eyewear) but I digress.

You can get LASIK or PRK eye surgery in the military, but you have to put yourself on a waiting list and the wait can be a bitch. I went ahead and got PRK eye surgery a few years back, I got it by a civilian doctor who had a hot reputation, and paid 5 grand out of my own pocket. It was well worth it, I went from wearing glasses with 20/400 to perfect 20/20, plus I got a waiver to join the NavSpecWar pipeline. I had to wait 6 months at a minimum before I had to start the waiver paperwork though, so BuMed can make sure that my eyes were absolutely ok.

You can get a waiver for PRK for NFO (Naval Flight Officer) and I heard occassionally you can get it for SNA (Student Naval Aviator) but LASIK is still absoutely disqualifying last time I heard. It's simply too risky for the high level jobs that SpecWar, NFO, and SNA requires, but it's definately good to go for other jobs.

(btw guys, if you hadn't figured it out yet, I'm back for a while, then I'll probaly dissapear again without notice).

psych said:
(btw guys, if you hadn't figured it out yet, I'm back for a while, then I'll probaly dissapear again without notice).
Good to see you back. Hope you have time to give Standoff a try before you disappear again.

Quarto said:
Good to see you back. Hope you have time to give Standoff a try before you disappear again.

I'll definately try it ASAP dude, I've been too busy 8-counting [8-count bodybuilders] myself to death recently.

Eder said:
As people have already pointed out, official WC material seems to indicate that people who wear glasses are allowed into military service, so we just saw no reason we shouldn't let it happen in Standoff.

Doesnt Sosa wear glasses in WCIV?

No no no, you guys have it all wrong. Freyers is Emo. He has WC2 era Emo glasses. I would know; I do the voice for Freyers. He's an emo kid to the xcorex. And I'm pretty sure Sosa is, too. She even has the dyed black hair, which is quite emo. I'm even pretty positive that, somewhere during the WC3/early post-war era, he's hittin' it. With Sosa. Oh yeah . . .

(That's a joke, folks. Take it as one)

McGruff said:
The UBW probably has much looser standards for military service than Confed or the Black Lance.
The fact that they let Sosa wear her glasses 1% of the time seems to back that up, yep. :p

It would just follow that a relatively small alliance of planets would have a greater demand for military recruits to provide for defense, and would therefore tend to be less choosy about who they let in. Just a guess.

McGruff said:
It would just follow that a relatively small alliance of planets would have a greater demand for military recruits to provide for defense, and would therefore tend to be less choosy about who they let in. Just a guess.

That's probably be true -- but it isn't in the case of Lt. Sosa. She's a descryption expert who is part of Admiral Richards' elite staff.

Sosa's glasses must be some low-strengh ones, since we occassionally get to see her doing fine without glasses.

Just my 2 cents.

Back