PC Gamer 100 best PC games of all time

Thanks for that , good to see a WC game in there (and some Ultima) but the overall list is questionable :(

lots of good games of the 90`s didnt make it and some games in there , like WC are in the wrong place.

I really dont care about these lists :p ,you can find 1000 top 100 lists with totally different games in them.

As you mentioned though , its always good to see a WC game in there :D

I still have the PC Gamer Best Of All Time from 1995. That was a good list.

At least this beats the last one where none of the games made it at all.

Ok, I understand that of the bazillion games out there, not every one can get into an article.

But a "best of" list that doesn't include Master of Orion (1 or 2... the less said of 3, the better)? As they say on teh intarwebz: Fail.

I also noticed a significant bias towards the last decade, although I admit there were more older titles listed than I expected.

It is me or that is a WCIV screenshot? (from the german version? HS Rakette?)

It is.

This list also ignores Mac games.

My own beloved Marathon belongs on that list. Still one of my favorite storylines and universes.

I just read that:

I only had a 105MB drive in my 386 to start with.
He says, he played WC3 on a 386? Holy shit, I had problems with WC3 on my 486 DX2/66. It was always funny waiting almost half an hour for a (really urgent rescue-)mission to load. Everyone was scrambling and half an hour later, Rolins said: "You are ready to start now" - Thanks! How did he play that on a 386?

I just read that:

He says, he played WC3 on a 386? Holy shit, I had problems with WC3 on my 486 DX2/66. It was always funny waiting almost half an hour for a (really urgent rescue-)mission to load. Everyone was scrambling and half an hour later, Rolins said: "You are ready to start now" - Thanks! How did he play that on a 386?

WC3 ran on a 386... I loaded it up on a 16mhz machine once upon a time. It ran... just very very slowly. The deciding factor for if it will run (as opposed to run well) was the amount of ram you had.

CD drive speed would have also been a bigger factor than CPU speed. Wasn't that back when 2x drives were still awesome?

Marathon 2: Durandal was ported (I think in 1996 or 97). Marathon Infinity may have been released on both at the same time, but I can't recall.

Marathon was never ported to PC, although Bungie made all 3 games free a few years ago. They can be found on the Trilogy Page in their original and AlephOne forms.

I had thought there was a Marathon Trilogy software bundle made available for the PC back in 1998 or 1999? I'm probably wrong though...

No the trilogy set was just for Mac. It also seems that the only one ported was Marathon 2 Durandal.

Infinity was only for the Mac and included tools to create more maps/monsters/etc.

I kinda figured it wad just shoddy writing, just like using the WC4 screenshot. Maybe they had a 386 with a lot of ram, but it's also very possible that in the author's mind, there may be no practical difference between a 386 or 486, and the term was just thrown out there because it just another old '90s era computer.

Who's the target audience for PC Gamer? I figured it was probably 16-21 year olds. Someone who is 18 years old today was born in 1993, the year the first Pentium machines went on sale. The first computers they actually used were probably 1 GHz Pentium IIIs. What's the difference between a 386 or 486 to them? :)

Back