patches and stuff.

I suppose either one of spirit's patches added repair droids/AI? At least I don't think I saw those before patching... Anyways, they really don't seem to work at all! My systems stay damaged no matter how long I wait and repair droid is 100%. Originally I said that the repair system worked, but doesn't seem to work anymore. So buying those repair thingys is just a big waste of money...

I figure it works the same either way

the systems don't get repaired incrementally...but it goes from nothing to all.

since when have you gone to a bicycle store and had your bike fixed 18%...19%...20% usually they find the problem--and fix it...and the finding and fixing part take a while--but it's not incremental

It was in the original. It made for some pressure packed situations as you watched your maneuvering thrusters slowly come back online affording you a bit more maneuverability each second, the question being would they be back all the way before your armor ran out? The damage screen got quite a bit of use then :)

Hm... like what I'm seeing in the way of improvements! I still have a little bit of trouble with the VegaStrike engine... but I guess there's nothing to be done about that. It's just one of those things that I have to get used to, I suppose. I really like what you're doing with Privateer... in my opinion you're creating the game that it could have been had we had the capability back in the day. But again... the VegaStrike engine just feels so ungainly to me.

what feels ungainly about it...be more specific please---we're trying to make it *exactly* like the original...so sure the repair stuff isn't quite up to speed--but the end result is that it repairs--what else about it feels ungainly--I don't understand what you mean when you say that...
specific helps a ton

spiritplumber said:
Wait, it works in the normal game but not in the patch?

Well I thought that the repair systems worked in the normal game at first, but then from some point on they didn't seem to do anything anymore about my damaged systems. This was before your patches and stayed quite the same after patching. I bought a basic repair droid and I NEVER saw my damaged systems getting repaired during flight, I always had to repair them myself after landing.

MamiyaOtaru said:
It was in the original. It made for some pressure packed situations as you watched your maneuvering thrusters slowly come back online affording you a bit more maneuverability each second, the question being would they be back all the way before your armor ran out? The damage screen got quite a bit of use then :)

Yeah, but in this Remake it's useless because when some system goes out then it's out and no hope of going back online even if I have bought some useless super advanced repair system for a great amount of credits :)

Btw. would be nice if I could see my ship's shield hit-effect from my cockpit so that it would be easier to notice when someone is shooting me. Also in the original I could hear a *thud* sound and screen flashed red when my armor was taking hits. Currently in Remake enemy attacks are too "stealthy" like because there's no visible effects besides of shield/armor indicator shrinking and I really can't keep watching my displays all the time in the middle of the hectic fight...

Lone Wolf said:
Watch that little screen in the lower right corner. When your hit the yellow (shields) starts to go away, than the blue (armor).
I don't think that was the answer he was looking for ;)
Acimus said:
and I really can't keep watching my displays all the time in the middle of the hectic fight...
You also have the shieldhit and armorhit noises, but some form of red flash would be nice. Something we miss from Vanilla Vegastrike is the way cockpits shake a bit when you are hit. Unfortunately that can't be done with 2d images (at least not ones that don't extend past the edge of the screen)

I don't think that was the answer he was looking for ;)
I think you're probably right :)
You also have the shieldhit and armorhit noises, but some form of red flash would be nice. Something we miss from Vanilla Vegastrike is the way cockpits shake a bit when you are hit. Unfortunately that can't be done with 2d images (at least not ones that don't extend past the edge of the screen)
Personally, I like it better without the red flashes and shaking screens (less distractions), but that's just me :)

Lone Wolf said:
Personally, I like it better without the red flashes and shaking screens (less distractions), but that's just me :)

You are boring guy and I'm spoiled with special FX :) Nooo, just the matter of taste I guess... But it's really disturbing me that my ship doesn't indicate hits in any other way than in that tiny shield/armor display, shaking cockpit/flashing screen would help noticing better that I'm being hit and I could start maneuvering sooner.

But again, just IMO.

MamiyaOtaru said:
You also have the shieldhit and armorhit noises, but some form of red flash would be nice.

Err, you mean there IS armorhit noise in Remake? I haven't noticed, at least the same one as in the original. If I remember correctly, same shieldhit noise is used for armor hits...

It is a different noise. Both are in the remake. We could have a volume problem on our hands though ;) Relative volumes seem to vary wildly from computer to computer.

Just tested. Same sound is used for both shieldhit and armorhit, so apparently something ain't right here then...

odd we'll have to look into that... after a while does it transition over to armor hit sound...
maybe it's cus your shields regenerated just a tad

Just tested. Same sound is used for both shieldhit and armorhit, so apparently something ain't right here then...
I get different sounds for shieldhit and armorhit. No problem there (at least on my machine).
You are boring guy and I'm spoiled with special FX :)
Yeah, I'm boring. Majorly, majorly boring ;)

Back