patches and stuff.

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/priv_enhancement_patch.zip is now just what is already in the game (1.0pre5) plus a few cleanups, like having garrisons in capitol systems, a couple extra textures, and so on. It's really done, unless there is some nasty bugosity. I hope it makes into 1.0 final :) It's about 3mb big but it mostly overwrites stuff. I hope I was of some use! ^-^

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/privR.zip is the first attempt at a larger WCU thingy and will grow over time. It's going to have stuff like extra ships and a bigger map. It's really sitting by itself. Around 6mb for now but it'll get a lot bigger as we add ships. Please try it 9_9

Spirit, I just installed the PrivR patch. Very cool. But I've got a slight problem. All my ships have lost ALL turret capability. My turrets have vanished, and I can't install new ones. It's a wee bit anoying...know how to fix it?

Delete the directory in .privateer001 called serialized_xml and you should be set. Sorry for the inconvenience, it's a side effect of streamlining turret behavior... You will lose some upgrades doing so though, so award yourself a bit of extra cash before. :)

Okay, I've got another idea. Navagating an asteroid field in a capship (like my paradigm) is almost impossible. So here's my suggestion: add nav buoys that can lead a capship around an asteroid field. Have them programed in the nav computers of all capships (small ships won't need them). You could name one "Capship Nav Point 1" then 2, then three, etc. The bouys would simply lead you around an asteroid field instead of through it. You could stick them in the enhancement patch (hint ;) ).

You're not really supposed to go inside asteroid fields in a capship ^^;;; you send your fighters to do that... as for that, nav points are treated in the vegastrike engine as physical objects, so everyone would see them.

Yeah, but unless you can either go through or cut around, some systems are closed to you (i.e, Pender's Star is impassable). It really wouldn't be that bad if everyone saw them...

Lone Wolf said:
Yeah, but unless you can either go through or cut around, some systems are closed to you (i.e, Pender's Star is impassable). It really wouldn't be that bad if everyone saw them...
Not really. Fly around it. Inconvenient and time wasting does not equal impassible. Now Rikel on the other hand..

But your point holds true. Some systems are impassible (asteroids around all jump points, and Pender's Star, whil not impassible, would be annoying enough no one would want to go through it. But that's what you get for wanting a monstrous large ship. It's not all fun and games.

It would be cool to be able to blow up asteroids, that would help....

*cue wing commander 1 music*

"Our next jump point is in the middle of an asteroid field. We're going to get in at reduced speed and use our turrets to clear a path through. Demon 1 and 2, you will launch and keep an eye for stray asteroids coming from our blind spots. Don't use your missiles unless you have to, I have to pay for that stuff."

The problem with that being that asteroids don't exist as individual entities. Just like you can't blow off a centurion's wing right now, you can't destroy part of the asteroids mesh. It would be nice though, and at some point in the future asteroids will be redone. Emphasis on 'some point.'

I know, I even tried to mess with that... not a lot of luck, it seems subunits can't be damaged as individual entities. too bad because blowing up turrets in wc3 was fun.

spiritplumber said:
I know, I even tried to mess with that... not a lot of luck, it seems subunits can't be damaged as individual entities. too bad because blowing up turrets in wc3 was fun.
Actually they can. Not sure that I've ever seen it in privateer, but in anilla Vegastrike I used to blow up turrets all the time. The problem is asteroids aren't really subunits. A subunit is its own mesh, while dozens of asteroids are all part of the same mesh. In other words you can load up an asteroids mesh and see dozens of little rocks. All part of the same model.

Good. Just make sure I can tell my turrets to target them :) Maybe tagetting the asteroid field and pressing alt+t would cause each turret to target the nearest asteroid.

you'd need to have each asteroid be its own subunit ...
I think there's a config variable to make them shootable once you do...

then you could make those be subunits of a bigger ship...
I'd say worry about getting more ships in before worrying about asteroids...I was testing it a while ago but the benefit just wans't so great

Spirit, I just noticed 3 bugs with the WCU patch. I was fiddling around in the new Orion (great job, BTW), when I decided to make an attack run on the Confed carrier :) Well, I blew it to bits, then did the same to the Paradigm. Here's the problem: First, neither one of them responded. They just let me kill them without firng a shot in their defence. Second, when they are destroyed, there's no explosion. No rubble. Nothing. Just empty space. (Well, the carrier disapears in a fireball, but there's no rubble). And third, earlier some Kilrathi jumped in-sys and the Confed carrier launched Dralthi to fend them off...

Thanks a lot! I'd like to see fewer larger asteroids a la WC3/4 but that's just me...

Speaking of which, update:

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/privR.zip

additions: kilrathi shoklar, kilrathi asteroid fighter, confed sabre, confed transport, new look for the kilrathi carrier. Also pirate asteroid fighter in very rare cases. Sabres and shoklars will show up with some frequency in confed/kitty heavy systems -- the sabre basically uses the centurion flight model with only very few changes, I figured that was OK because they fulfill the same role more or less.

Back