Pardon my ignorance but....

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
Who is the commanding officer aboard the Tiger's Claw? I've played through WC1 (For the SNES, anyway) numerous times, but have never known the name of the guy who gives the wing assignments in the briefing room.

------------------

§

Colnel Halcyon is his name, if I spelled it correctly.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Well, you spelled "colonel" wrong, but, yeah, you sure as hell got Halcyon right!
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
Former Colonel Peter Halcyon, later promoted to General
smile.gif
If you can't remember the spelling, think Colonel (bird rank insignia) and halcyon (the bird)
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited August 10, 2000).]

Former...present... it doesn't really matter; the only difference between Colonel and General is that you get stuck with a desk job pencil-pushing instead of flying your own Capitol Ship (well... there are a few exceptions, but that is the realistic 'jist' of it).

Umm... non, Metras. Colonels don't have their own capital ships. Colonel is a Space Force rank, and they don't command ships.

You know, I always found it amusing that they would call someone "Halcyon". Anybody check that up in the dictionary?
smile.gif
But then, compared to the later WCs, WC1 was indeed a halcyon time...

I always thought Halcyon was only the CAG- and someone else commanded the ship but we never saw him. His name escapes me, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Halcyon. Or maybe I'm thinking of a previous commander of the Tiger's Claw? Oh well I'm really tired- someone set me straight.
smile.gif

You're quite correct, Tailburn. Halcyon was just in charge of the Air Wing. There was a Captain whom we didn't see. I believe his name was mentioned later on, in one of the novels... Captain Thorn? Dunno.

Lieutenants had their own capital ships, albeit not quite Strike Carriers. One mainstream example of a colonel turned captain though.. Blair got the Intrepid in WC4. Anyhow, I do recall there being some similarly tight circumstances that forced Halcyon to take some sort of higher command at some point in one of the secret missions, but I don't recall the details at the moment.

The reason that Blair took command was his experience and the XO had died with the captain during the assualt when the bridge got destroyed

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I was wondering... Did Halcyon ever fly missions? I mean as CAG? Why do some fly, and others don`t? Blair and Angel fly, why not Halcyon, or the CAG from Prophecy, forgot her name.

Right Vondoom.. and I'm saying something similar gave Halcyon command at some point around 2655.

It's usually up to the Wing Commander/CAG whether they want to fly or not. Some do, some don't. Some only fly in emergencies. Angel didn't fly very much, but did in more pressing situations.

I see what you're saying. Sorry aobut that, In such a hurry half the time reading these posts don't fully catch them every time. Sorry.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

ChrisReid said:
...It's usually up to the Wing Commander/CAG whether they want to fly or not. Some do, some don't. Some only fly in emergencies. Angel didn't fly very much, but did in more pressing situations.

But does that include ordering the CAG to fire the Concordia's primary gun (PTC) - I'm referring to Tolwyn in SO2 ??? or was this cutscene just another inconsistency.
confused.gif

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

JoeyRP said:
But does that include ordering the CAG to fire the Concordia's primary gun (PTC) - I'm referring to Tolwyn in SO2 ??? or was this cutscene just another inconsistency.
confused.gif

Angel wasn't saying he couldn't fire the gun, but recommending against doing so, due to the possibility that the PTC would go *boom*.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

The CAG was just protesting because she felt like living at least for a few more years. What Death neglected to mention (presumably because it's quite obvious) is that when the PTC goes "boom", the whole ship goes with it.
Therefore, it makes sense that Angel would have protested. Surely, you didn't expect her to stay quiet about the prospect of getting blown to dust, simply because it's not her concern?
biggrin.gif

Back