Paper, Paper, Everywhere (February 8, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
A Wing Commander fan named Péricles has made some very impressive paper models, including the Dralthi, Jalthi, Sabre and Rapier II. He's also put together Anthony Greenfield's SWACS model! You can find more details at his website here, and see more Wing Commander paper models here. Take a look:

You can download the models below:

--
Original update published on February 8, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
These models are fantastic indeed are they made on basic printer paper or is it made from speacil paper?

That is absolutely awesome! I'd pay real money for that Sabre... I wonder if there's any way I can replace those textures with the cartoonish WC2 textures I used for my Sabre wallpaper? Pepakura tells me I can't edit those files, though.

I also noticed that the Rapier is based on my ancient model for the XWA WCTC... too bad, that model was so inaccurate.

Those are all scaled 1/200 its cool to see the size differences compared to each other. I like that pic of the Jalthi and the drathi fighter showing the scale. Were these models he used built to scale when they were modeled? I think its just very cool that electronic nothingness can become some sort of real form. Great job on the models Im kinda curious on how long it took to construct each one and if novices will have a difficult time trying to build one of these.

Answering the questions

Hello!

I am new in the forum and I register in function of having had the thankful surprise of seeing my work accommodated in Wing Commander CIC.

I will try to answer the best possible way to all the questions here exposed, before he would like to say that I am since the beginning of the decade of 90 a fan of the games Wing Commander and always as designer wanted to accomplish models of the several ships of the several games Wing Commander.

The models in general are made starting from meshes and extracted textures or of the original games (impossible in relation to WC I and II and a true pain starting from the files IFF for others sequels), or of mods and add ons for other games. (The Sabre for instance has the origin in a mod for the game Freelancer)

In general the meshes in different formats are converted for cob format and if necessary edited in the software Metasequoia and unfolded in editor Pepakura Designer...

In the models concluded in general accomplish some customizations type cockpit, landing gear, canopys of plastic.

In the first thank's for all I am very happy of you have liked of my models :D

Good we are going the answers...

These models are fantastic indeed are they made on basic printer paper or is it made from speacil paper?

Milatry

I use paper common of printer in Brazil he is called of Sulfite if I don't make a mistake at other countries he is called of Filecoat, the most common thickness are 75g and 90g however in small models as those recommended is it to use 120g, my models in the case are printed in a domestic printer (Epson C 65 in photographic mode) ;)

I wonder if there's any way I can replace those textures with the cartoonish WC2 textures I used for my Sabre wallpaper? Pepakura tells me I can't edit those files, though.

I also noticed that the Rapier is based on my ancient model for the XWA WCTC... too bad, that model was so inaccurate.

Eder

I would also like a lot of having the models of Standoff in Cob or 3ds would be excellent paper models, I already studied some sort things out of converting the files without success. In the case of my sabre the offered model is closed impeding the edition, but if he wants to order me a private message or email, I will have the largest pleasure in making available the file in the unprotected Pepakura format for edition.

In relation to Rapier II it is true, Dralthi also comes from his/ MOD for X Wing Alliance, in spite of "incorrect" the model is very interesting, as we are of the same country if you want to do a change of "figurines" I am the orders... :) :rolleyes: :D

Those are all scaled 1/200 its cool to see the size differences compared to each other. I like that pic of the Jalthi and the drathi fighter showing the scale. Were these models he used built to scale when they were modeled? I think its just very cool that electronic nothingness can become some sort of real form. Great job on the models Im kinda curious on how long it took to construct each one and if novices will have a difficult time trying to build one of these.

Stone

The subject of the scale is very sensitive in these cases, because in general the information on the characters of the game are made after the ready game, he thinks her in the argument in the history, but the technical information in general are her finishes thing the if he thinks. In general use Wing Commander manual in search of dimensions and the ship database of Wing Commander CIC, however those information are generic if we observe the forms of each ship, then I seek based on these information and in the common sense to create the sizes following these information and the size of the ships in the real game.
The choice of this scale in my case was made by subject of exhibition space. The sabre, Dralthi and Jalthi are not scaled in the models PDO for 1/200, but with the new version of Pepakura it is possible to do that, then Rapier and SWACS are...
In relation to the time of assembly, it depends a lot on the ability of each one, these models are not complex, maybe the more compound is Rapier and very difficulty Sabre, building paper models is easy the tools are few it would recommend to begin for Jalthi or for SWACS...

Good it would be that, excuse me the long post, it would like of already to publish that I intend to accomplish in paper the whole ship set of the games Wing Commander, including Privateers.

In the moment I am centered in the small ships, the next 5 models are Vampire, Hornet, Broadsword, Gothri and Jalkehi.

If somebody wants to order me 3D models in edited formats (LWO, COB, 3ds, PEO) they will be very welcome, I have a great difficulty of getting the ships of Privateer 1, 2 and Armada and some capital ships of WC 1 and 2. The email for contact is: gomidefilho@yahoo.com.br or perequinho@gmail.com

Thank you very much to all and already excuse to enter in the forum requests things...

Best Regards!

Péricles

No the models are not the sale, they exactly are offered for disassembled download free from trade. It would not be correct with the developers to market his work, why are the 3D that they develop exactly the origin of the models in itself... ;)

Hello! Your models are amazing -- KrisV showed them to me, and I just had to put them in the news.

Thank's Bandit LOAF!

My intention is to build models of all of the ships for all and totaly free, this is the best forum and channel for that, in general from two to three weeks I make models, what will come out immediately is Jalkehi and Vampire...

I am very satisfied of being here with you...

Best Regards! :)

My intention is to build models of all of the ships for all and totaly free, this is the best forum and channel for that, in general from two to three weeks I make models, what will come out immediately is Jalkehi and Vampire...

I sent you a private message that might help with your goal -- it'll be in the upper right corner of the screen, in case you don't have notifications turned on.

That is absolutely awesome! I'd pay real money for that Sabre...

The Sabre is really incredible. I can't wait to see what some of the other ships look like. The textures on the Sabre are quite amazing.

Pericles keep up the good work as it's greatly appreciated around here.

Thank you People!

I am animated myself to continue with her words...

The first stage of the shipset should be completes until March with the following models in the scale 1/200:

Vampire
Broadsword
Jrathek
Dralthi VII
Union of Border Worlds Banshee
Krant

The ones that are immediately unfolded awaiting an assembly tests are Vampire and Jrathek, I believe that next weeks they are already ready for download...

The stages will be made of ten in ten ships, and with the material that Bandit LOAF sent me encouraged me to prioritize the ships of Wing Commander 1, 2 and Armada...

Thank you very much! Until next time!

No the models are not the sale, they exactly are offered for disassembled download free from trade. It would not be correct with the developers to market his work, why are the 3D that they develop exactly the origin of the models in itself... ;)

Keep me in mind if you change your mind. I have neither the time or the patience for model making, but I would love to have one of those beauties. Awesome work!

McGruff

I understand his point of view, however as treatment the paper models as a hobby, I end up not getting to come undone of my built models. As against departure I can offer a tutorial of how to do, building a model step the step...

To finish doing for the other ones my time that is also small will end if diluting and the project of new models will end up being long more to leave...

Thank you very much!

I am very satisfied of being here with you...

All of the models look fantastic. I'm very much looking forward to how your future designs turn out.

Thank you very much for the incentive...

I am already working in new models, to a certain delay in making available the downloads in general why I set up the prototypes to see if they are "set up", I owe as I already wrote previously until March to make available more five models...

All can accompany information on the progresses in my blog: http://vickvipper.spaces.live.com/

Thank you very much!

Péricles

Back