Our new 3D printer

Haliwali

Spaceman
OK, so my PoE class just got a new 3D printer, and the teacher told us to build something with Autodesk Inventor. Now the thought crossed my mind "Hey, I could totally put a WC ship in here!" So today I'm trawling through the Ship Database to find something easy and small. I'm thinking Caernavon, Southampton, Tallahassee, or maybe a Yorktown (I sort of have a thing for the Wellington.) So, I you have something already, send it to me at syntek1001001100@hotmail.com. If possible keep it under 2 cubic inches. That's not the max for the printer, he just doesn't want us using too much material. :D

What *is* the TCS Wellington? This is like the third time the name has been mentioned in the last week... it isn't on the ships list.

@JasonRocz: 3D printers will make a plastic model of pretty much any shape you put into them.
@LOAF: The Wellington was a Yorktown class, and it was the carrier you flew from in the Saga Prologue. Speaking of that, if you have exact dimensions for a Yorktown class, such as fin angle and length, and the height of the tower, that'd be awesome. All I've found so far is length of the total hull. I already made a post on the Saga forum so I just have to wait now.

Interesting I didn't know about the printer thing.. Cool

It's like some things that are going to be in the WC:CD mod...some canon some non-canon :)

I don't have exact dimensions... but given that you know the length, you should be able to measure anything else using this image:

wc3confedlightcarrier.png

Also, be careful with the Saga Yorktown... isn't that the one where they still haven't fixed the incorrect mirroring?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool... I just wish I knew what format Autodesk inventor used... Then, I could convert the Rapier from Super Wing Commander and you could print it off. :) :)

Can you print 3DS models? (I hope)

Alright, I think I'm about a quarter of the way through the hull, got to leave the classroom now. I'll get back to work on Monday.

Autodesk Inventor saves to the following formats......

DXF, DWG, 3DS, PDF, I think there's more but I can't remember I've only used it a few times

Sweet Jesus, never thought I would look forward to a Monday. I'll be in my PoE class in about 2 hours. I'm going to talk to my teacher about the possibility of making more of these, so let me know if your interested.

The Yorktown was allways ok. We wanted to switched the Concordia-class tower so that there was more differance between the Yorktown and Concordia class then just a different paintjob and scale. Well it was just an idea and was scraped anyway.

Back to the topic. I would be interested in 3D prints of some models but I guess the printing would be quite expansive and adding shipping to it.

I'll try to figure out something with my teacher, I'll be in there soon. This might just mean I can get that pipe dream for a Battlefleet Gothic style board game out of my head...

Just when I think I've finished one hurdle, I create a new one. I'm going to end up with my OWN class of carrier at the rate I'm going. Hm... The TCS Schoenhoff...I like it.

Geez, time to leave already. Finished the top half of the ship, will do bottom half tomorrow, tower Wednesday, print Thursday. If this works.

Damn, when I was in school taking CADD we had a machine similar to what you are talking about. We could draw a sproket or whatever in the computer and the machiene would widdle it out of a piece of metal, plastic, or wood. Never thought about drawing a ship or something along those lines...then again trying to draw let alone render a wing commander ship/fighter back then was daunting with 1996 tech. Consider that we were working off of old Apple II computers and the only "new" IBM computer was attached to the "printer" and if we wanted to "print" the drawing we had to redraw it on the IBM in order to print it out since the software wasn't compatable. And being that the school just spent all that money on the new thingie we used it very rarely.
It wasn't until my last year in school that they finnaly upgraded to IBM based systems for the entire school.
All I have from those days is a crappy little sproket...At least it's made out of titanium and won't rust. :)

Gotta see how your project comes out.

I'll keep you posted.
Hey LOAF, you know what would make feel super duper special? The front page of the CIC reading "Stefan Schoenhoff, avid fan, insane models." Yea...

Wow, never have I wanted to be in school this much, let alone Engineering. I got it! "Wing Commander makes kids want to go to school."

Back