Other EMS Managers besides emm386...

Farfel

Spaceman
I'm screwing around with the Bochs DOS emulator and i'm having pretty good luck with it. However, I cannot get emm386 to load with it (The program freezes). So, i've been looking around for other programs that will give me EMS and I found QEMM, however that doesn't work either. One program that does work is VRAM, however it's a stupid trialware program and I need to pay in order to get more than 128kb of ems memory.

So, any suggestions?

Wow! I've been trying to get Bochs to work for months, but I can't seem to find a Windows binary and VC++ doesn't seem to like some of the precompiler instructions. Are you running it in Windows, or Linux/Unix/some variant thereof?

Well I just got it and i'm not into the technical stuff like you just posted, heh. But here's the scoop:

Bochs runs fine in Windows, and emulates MS-DOS quite well actually. The program itself includes built in SB16 emulation (I presume it uses Directsound to actually get the sound through windows to you).

However, when I tried to run Privater using just XMS memory (which it will do in non-emulated pure dos) it crashed the program, not very promising. EMM386 causes the program to freeze up on boot so that's no good. If I can just get an EMS manager that will run and give me 2500kb then it would be good, but so far i can't find any other program. A buddy of mine is messing with the Bochs source code to try and get it to work with emm386, but I don't know how successful he'll be.

I'm currently emulating FreeDOS on Bochs, trying to get priv to work. However, it doesn't have it's own versions of himem.sys or emm386!

Try running MS-DOS 5.0 or above on Bochs; assuming you can find disks for it, that is. You might also try making a boot disk, using that to boot Bochs, and then transferring that system to the Bochs hard drive (it emulates its own hard drive, right?) via the FORMAT command.

Hey, hey, hang on. What is this Bochs thing? Is it freeware? Can I download it from somewhere?

NO, IT'S WAREZ!!!

Hehe, just kidding. Yeah, it's a free emulator that can emulate many different types of operating systems (even linux). At first it may seem a bit complicated but it's really not. Go here for more the official page, though it kinda sucks:

http://www.bochs.com

Go here for a better page (Actually it's intended for running Ultima 7!) with the program available to download:

http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/ultima/u7bochs/

I'm working hard trying to get Privateer to run. I've finally found another EMS program and it gives me however much EMS I need, but it takes up 70K of convential memory, thus making Priv unplayable! So, gotta keep searching I guess

Why not just install Ms.Dos 5 to a cd, and boot from the cd drive on startup? - i remember that you used to be able to rum ms dos 5 from floppy disks without installing it to a hdd

I would try msdos 5, but I don't have it and it's not available to download anywhere.

And I doubt it would make any difference

Back