Origin Pricing Guide circa???

Sheppard

Captain
Check out those prices, man!

A 12.9 MB version at 300 DPI saved with TIFF/ZIP lossless compression has been sent to loaf's address for archival purposes.

Attachments

• Origin_Ad_Booklet_Reduced.pdf
    493.5 KB · Views: 212
Now you know how we feel about people that balk at $5.99 (or even $2.99) Origin games on GOG!

That booklet is almost exactly 20 years old, since it shows Special Operations 2 as being available and lists other items as coming in "fall '92" (which mostly later slipped to "fall '93").

Now that you mention it, today is the actual 20th birthday of Special Operations 2! First shipped on June 5, 1992.

Now you know how we feel about people that balk at $5.99 (or even $2.99) Origin games on GOG!

Yeah, dammit, I'm kicking myself for not picking up all the Ultima games this last weekend (for the record, I did pick up the WC titles, mainly for the extras). I've never played the Ultima games and have wanted to ever since I finally started getting interested in RPGs. But my family had a money crunch going on, I felt guilty enough spending twelve bucks I didn't have for the WC titles and really couldn't justify spending twenty-five. Yesterday. Damn RL resolved itself today and I have enough scratch now. Grrrr...

At least GOG gave me Ultima IV as a freebie for signing up.

Yeah, dammit, I'm kicking myself for not picking up all the Ultima games this last weekend (for the record, I did pick up the WC titles, mainly for the extras). I've never played the Ultima games and have wanted to ever since I finally started getting interested in RPGs. But my family had a money crunch going on, I felt guilty enough spending twelve bucks I didn't have for the WC titles and really couldn't justify spending twenty-five. Yesterday. Damn RL resolved itself today and I have enough scratch now. Grrrr...

At least GOG gave me Ultima IV as a freebie for signing up.

They run sales periodically. Last holiday season practically the entire catalog was half-off. So I'm sure there'll be another chance to nab them half-off sometime.

And maybe soon there'll be some more free Ultimas to tide you over, wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink wink.

Hmm.....

Well, it may be good that I have to wait for a while. I've learned that Ultima IV is not a game where you can skip out on reading the manual. Ah, for the days of vintage gaming......

Wowzers!!! Were games that expensive in the old days??!! I have obviously forgotten over the years how much it used to cost!!! /feels old :(

Wowzers!!! Were games that expensive in the old days??!! I have obviously forgotten over the years how much it used to cost!!! /feels old :(

Even ten years ago it wasn't too uncommon to see some of the last Nintendo 64 games being released at $75 MSRP. And new $60 games today seem to shed $20 in six months fairly routinely now. Games are cheap today.

...then also don't forget that the USD had about twice today's buying power in the mid-90ies. Makes it even more impressive if you consider inflation.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but most of us were KIDS. How did we afford so much of this stuff?!

That sure was a problem for me. I was lucky and got WC1 as a present to my seventh birthday or something (and didn't understand a word because it was English. I had to learn a bit English to play it.)
The rest I had to buy, and I remember that those games were extremely expensive for me. PC games were about 75-85 DM (Deutsche Mark) IIRC. 90 was really expensive and under 75 was cheap in comparison.

So yeah, those were expensive. Which is one of the reasons I got WC2 and WC4 a long time after release because I just couldn't buy them and my mother didn't want to.
One of my favourite things to do was to show a game to my mother in the store and hope she was interested too, because she liked to watch me gaming (like others watch TV) and if I found a game that sounded interesting for her she would sometimes buy it. I got "Outcast", "Gothic", "Baldur's Gate 2" and "Jedi Knight" that way. :D

I suspect a bit of MSRP inflation so stores can claim to be giving you a discount. As sure as getting scanned in Perry, I didn't pay $80 for Privateer OR Wing Commander 2!

Continuing the "Shep scans more stuff" vein; some more origin documents, scanned at 300 DPI from the originals, here's the W95 Readme slip from WC4:

Attachments

• WC4_Readme_300DPI.pdf
    416.8 KB · Views: 147
And isn't "Strike Commander" part of the universe anyway? Man, 2011 never came true. :-(

Attachments

• SC_KRC_300_DPI.pdf
    684.5 KB · Views: 368
Back