Opinions on Standoff Episode 1 (*spoiler warning*)

Yes, everything will be added to Ep 1 as well when you install Ep 2.

And I think the end-of-episode splash screen shouldn't show up anymore if you finish Ep 1, but have Ep 2 installed. After all the releases are installed, the thing's supposed to not look like it was released in episodes. :p

Wedge009 said:
I remember those. Are those names used internally, or are they just what HCl called them?

I couldn't tell you what HCl called them, but that's how we refer to them, both here on Standoff and back on UE. I mean, its pretty clear to know what we're talking about from those names, so they work.

Wedge009 said:
With the sheer number of enemies in WCP/SO, I don't seen any sense in having a 'scored a kill' jingle.

That's probably one of the reasons it wasn't included. However, now that we're trying to recreate the WC2 feel, it would be nice if we could have added the 'scored a kill' jingle. DAMN YOU VISION ENGINE!!!!!! :p

Stand off was great so cant wait for the next episode.

Took me half hour to complete, so i went back and actually read the e-mails.

As for Star Trek... i like modding those games and the programs have gone downhill sonce the eighties.

StarGate is wonderful, the science actually makes sense, and the storylines in both galaxies...

Siberian Tiger said:
Took me half hour to complete, so i went back and actually read the e-mails.

You might also try raising the difficulty a notch. It gives some more enjoyment after you've beaten it already.

Raise the difficulty all the way, and learn how to close on a Talon without taking a nose-full of mass-driver and particle shot.

Hey, Eder, I was playing through the first mission of Episode 2. Damn, those Gothris were a bit much. I had a hell of a time getting through that mission in a the ship I was given.

Watch out for spoilers, nick ;)

Ep. 2 is great, but I think it has lots of things to improve, and it will, along the testing and development.

Well the topic was already tagged with a spoiler warning due to the initial posts so I guess it's okay to post spoilers in here...

Well I guess maybe not for Episode 2.

Starkey said:
Watch out for spoilers, nick ;)

Ep. 2 is great, but I think it has lots of things to improve, and it will, along the testing and development.

Hey, I was careful about spoilers. We've already seen the Gothri, so they know about that. And they know you'll be fighting the cats in episode 2, as well. All I possibly revealed is that you end up in the first mission having to keep track of an assload of them. I didn't even mention what ship you fly (though I came close).

And, yeah, I think that particular issue may need to be addressed. It was too damn easy to lose ships in that mission. And the next. The mission after that didn't work for me because of an error. Something with one of the pilots. Anyway, it's good to be burning Kats again. Damn good.

I don't think people will have to fly Stilettos ever again after Ep 2, so all the "oh my god everyone's dead" thing doesn't actually have any impact on the campaign (hell, it doesn't even impact the "big" Ep 2 missions, since the Firekka sends out Rapiers for those instead)... also, it's ok for people to know they'll fly Stilettos in the first few missions, since Stilettos aren't news anymore. :p

Oh, and I don't think the difficulty in those first few missions is too much of an issue... sure, they're a real challenge, but they're also of fairly little consequence.

Eder said:
I don't think people will have to fly Stilettos ever again after Ep 2, so all the "oh my god everyone's dead" thing doesn't actually have any impact on the campaign (hell, it doesn't even impact the "big" Ep 2 missions, since the Firekka sends out Rapiers for those instead)... also, it's ok for people to know they'll fly Stilettos in the first few missions, since Stilettos aren't news anymore. :p

Oh, and I don't think the difficulty in those first few missions is too much of an issue... sure, they're a real challenge, but they're also of fairly little consequence.

Does "don't think people will have to" mean it is still possible by ship-choosing means? I wouldn't mind a few extra rides if it actually gets just some more shields
Besides, I think the difficulty is OK after failing on taking down the 20 dralthi swarming on UE mission 1

No, we don't even have a ship-selector screen entry for the Stiletto. "I don't think..." means simply "I don't remember all our missions too well". :p

(And it won't get more shields :p)

Nomad Terror said:
It's strange having the Confed star red. Heh.
Here. Pierre came up with a palette editor that makes the job go a lot faster, so I'm now able to make proper menus. Tango's working on something that can import/export palettes between WCP format and a useable format, so I might even be able to do some fine-tuning in Photoshop, but what you see here is pretty much what the menus will look like (apart from the font color).

esc_final.png

Looks good, though it's abit too green. Either make the green borders of the keys red or the font itself if possible.

Talking about the interface, perhaps you could replace the briefing window border with something that looks like the screen we see in the briefings in WC1/2.

Well, we'll see - your last suggestion took us a couple days to figure out, so I'm not gonna say "it can't be done" this time. :p

As for the color scheme... I'm between two options: green font on the buttons, leave the rest as it is... OR... make the buttons' borders yellow (think standard WCP killboard) and the font either white, yellow, or green, whatever looks best.

(I'm not ditching the green buttons for all-red ones because according to Standoff canon, there are two things the universe can never get enough of: green, and Rapiers).

Episode 1 was good. I hope things continue to get better with time, and I hope you were trying to get the "flying hunk of garbage" feel with your rendition of the Gladius, because that's what it is, lol. :p I would've preferred to see the Gladius from one or the other game, rather than a mix of the two, but it's ok.

One thing I didn't like was that I had no simulator access in Episode 1. Am I just missing something?

Nope. The Lionheart doesn't have a simulator, we did that in the interest of not taking another year to get our first release out the door. :p

I have no idea. :p You'd probably need a whole bunch of stuff since the ships use all-new HUDs... I'm not sure what would crash WCP and what wouldn't. I think there was a thread about extracting files from stan__e1.tre a couple weeks ago here on the forum.

Back