Open Gl mode problem

Claymore

Rear Admiral
My problem is in open gl mode. On the radar all the targets are black. Instead of red or blue. Everything else looks outstanding.

My system specs:

Amd 4000+ (single core 2.6 ghz)
2 gigs 800 mhz DDR2 Ram
Sapphire HD X 2900 Pro
XP Home Edition

The radar in Direct 3d works fine. I've upated my graphics card drivers. I seem to be the only person with this problem.

That's a new one indeed. Doesn't sound too complicated though, Pedro should be able to fix that.

It's something easily hacked a fix to, but its rather worrying that it occurs at all. Cam't imagine what could be unique to the system.

I recently downloaded Episode 4 (outstanding work, btw!) and have the same problem, actually - black radar dots in OpenGL mode. One thing I did notice is that if I turn the Fog option under Special Effects off, the dots become coloured again, but very darkly - i.e. radar dots show up as burgundy or navy blue instead of the brighter red or blue.

My specs:

Pentium Dual Core E2160 1.6 GHz
2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT (using latest Catalyst 7.9 drivers)
WinXP Pro

Something weird with the ATI cards, perhaps? There's also another thing that I noticed - if I turn off upscaled menus mode in the launcher and try to play at 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 resolution, the entire image on the screen shakes rapidly. At 1024 x 768 it's OK. (My desktop resolution is set to 1280 x 1024 32 bits, but I think I ran into the same problem with smaller resolutions.) If I run it in windowed mode, though, that problem doesn't come up at 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 resolution.

Hope some of this info is helpful in some way.

Hmm, Pedro has an ATI card... so it's not an issue with all of them (or we would have seen it sooner, too). It might be new driver versions, or something that happens specifically with the new generation of cards.

If anyone has a similar system setup, but does NOT encounter these issues, we'd love to hear about it.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did try that patch, and still get the problem. And yeah, it was dumb of me to throw out that wild guess about ATI cards - Eder may be on to something about ATI cards of a certain generation, though, since my card and Claymore's are somewhat similar.

Well that patch didn't seem to help. But turning off fog does. Thanks Rogue.

The dots on my radar dont seem to have changed colors. But rather they seem to have black borders around them. This is even more noticeable when you look at a cross instead of just a blip.

I've adjusted the dll to disable fog except when drawing 3d, as for the radar items being darker I haven't a clue and I'm really busy atm, don't know when I'll get a chance to look into it.

Same Problem with the Radar color. torning off fog does seem to help a tad.

system specs

AMD Sempron 3400+ (1.8ghz)
1.5 gig of 667 DDR2
ATI Radeon 2500 HD 256DDR2
Win XP SP2

on my old computer i was running an old ATI Radeon 9000 128meg, and it ran fine without the black radar.

nontheless, great game!

Well atleast we've established a common pattern, the latest DirectX 10 Radeon cards, I dunno, all these rich people ;)

Seriously though it sounds like they have some driver issues. The 2D Rendering should not have any depth on the z axis, therefore the fog should not have any impact whatsoever. Please all try the latest drivers (I believe the new ones are only a week old).

Still, if that doesn't work I'm certain its possible to hack a solution. If anyone is willing to do some testing to help resolve this issue then drop me a PM.

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I think this information may be relevant.

I have been using the Omega Radeon drivers since the recent official drivers have no support for AGP video cards (Catalyst 7.8, 7.9, 7.10, 7.11 - I don't know if this has changed for 7.12, but reports seem to indicate that support is still lacking).

I was previously using the Omega release based on Catalyst 7.10 and decided to give the latest 7.12-based release a try. Whereas WCP/SO/Standoff OpenGL would work reasonably well, the new drivers produced the black-dots radar discussed in this thread. Removing the fog option returned some colour, as mentioned by RoguePhalanx. There was also a frame rate drop with the new drivers (enough to significantly hurt gameplay), but I also noticed this in the other games I have tried, Direct3D and OpenGL based ones.

My point is that this specific radar problem is not necessarily Standoff's fault (AFAIK, I am using the latest OpenGL DLL patch posted by PPete). Oh yes, and that it's not restricted to DX10 cards - I'm using an X1950 Pro.

Radeon X800XT, 7.9 drivers, windows XP with SP3 release candidate, fresh installation

Same problem. ( I previously used glide wrapper after it getting hinted on the CIC some time ago)

Wedge009; Is this official that the latest catalist do not work on AGP, odd, since there are AGP versions of the X3850, released only last week?

Is this official that the latest catalist do not work on AGP, odd, since there are AGP versions of the X3850, released only last week?
I don't know about official announcements, but I know that those versions I listed do not work for me on either my X1950 or 9600. Any game which used DirectX failed to start and the Direct3D tests in dxdiag.exe failed to initialise with those driver versions. A quick Google search on Catalyst and AGP should come up with plenty of forum posts regarding the lack of AGP support in the recent Catalyst releases. However, I have noticed a few claims that those same Catalyst releases work with AGP for some people.

Pete, when you say they work, do you mean the official 7.12 release? And also no problem with the radar in Standoff? I feel tempted to give it a try, but one thing that I do like about the Omega drivers is that I don't have to use the triple-blasted crummy bloatware that is the .NET-based Catalyst Control Centre. Too bad the traditional Control Panel software stopped being supported way back in version 5.11.

Yes, it works fine, including Standoff running perfectly, using the lastest official 7.12 Catalyst (and .NET :p)

Lucky you, unlucky me. Back to Omega then...

Attachments

• 2008-01-10.png
    2008-01-10.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 186
Wow, and I thought nVidia had lousy drivers. So ATI actually got their latest drivers to work on "some" 1xxx cards and break the others?

I'm glad I ended up deciding against the X1950... Wouldn't be nice if I couldn't play Standoff. :p

I actually developed for the X1900XT with standard ATI drivers, no problems.
I've just made the move to the 8800 so I can start playing about with DX10, I must say its nice to go back to the stability of nVidia, Catalyst had a nasty habit of crashing.

Back