Online Game?

Master Wooky

Spaceman
Hi,

I don't know a damn thing about programing or the technic stuff, but did you ever think of making privateer remake an online game? Think how cool it would be to meet other fans in space and kill them... of course it might be necessary make it easier to restart, because especially rookies might be killed very often and very soon... One might install the possibility to hire each other or to put 100.000 bugs on your best friends head? Sounds sick, but might be fun... think about it...

Freelancer is, in many ways, what Roberts wanted to make Privateer into. It shows failings as well as some good ideas -- and it has on-line hooks for multiple players

The devs are already working in multiplayer. And they're thinking MMO (although there's nothing official yet)

MMO space games with great differences between rich and poor are never good, 'cuz the really rich guys who could even afford cap-ships or such are likely to whopp everyone else' arse.

Thats right. I'v been playing with some MMOs, and they all went the same way: THere are a couple of guys who play 24/7, so they get rich. After they get rich and have a much greater playitme then any sane gamer, they get the right to creat factions, rules and such... so they start etelling everyone how to play, and you end up for example: not allowed to buy any ship you got the money for, because your rank isn't high enough (allthough the game itself would allow).. This is what happened to me in Freelancer SW mod... I think Privateer is good as is in single.

Dire Wolf said:
Freelancer is, in many ways, what Roberts wanted to make Privateer into. It shows failings as well as some good ideas -- and it has on-line hooks for multiple players

Well, Roberts left the Freelancer development team a couple years before the game was complete, and the final game differed quite a bit from what he set out to make.

lorddarthvik said:
Thats right. I'v been playing with some MMOs, and they all went the same way: THere are a couple of guys who play 24/7, so they get rich. After they get rich and have a much greater playitme then any sane gamer, they get the right to creat factions, rules and such... so they start etelling everyone how to play, and you end up for example: not allowed to buy any ship you got the money for, because your rank isn't high enough (allthough the game itself would allow).. This is what happened to me in Freelancer SW mod... I think Privateer is good as is in single.

Well that's what happens in real live, isn't it? hehehe

as for the Freelancer to be Roberts' Priveteer follower i can say only one thing.

I've been modding freelancer for two years. I know plenty of the stuff what Freelancer can and can not. Also what features it has that were left out of the game. Transports lose their cargo pods (so you may shoot out those pods instead of blowing up the hole transport). You may have upgrades for engine, armor, radar, beam, etc... and other many features that are in there, but were never finished, cause Microsoft rushed the game's publish. So the result is that Chris left the project. Freelancer cut its features by half, thus making it an arcade space shooter in 3D environment :( It ended up being far away from the original concept and Privateer itself.

The Freelancer that you've played isn't Chris' concept -- the game was completely retooled after he left. His leaving wasn't related to the project -- he sold the company to Microsoft and was able to move on to California to produce movies, which was what he was more interested in doing.

It's hard to call it rushed, too, since it was in development for five years... that's a *lot* of development money on Microsoft's part, especially when what they really want to be pushing is X-Box titles.

You'll find 'unused' stuff in pretty much any game -- most of the time it's things that were cut for balancing rather than "unfinished" parts. The fine tuning of a game (the beta process) takes place after the bulk of development -- so when testers say some concept is too confusing or it unbalances the game, developers are usually happier to cut things out then rework other aspects of the title to fix problems.

Back