One for all you video game historians

Circa 1982 there was a Star Wars based game we used to play on our Apple IIs. The goal, if I remember correctly, was to locate Princess Leia and escape from the Death Star before time ran out. This was obviously a text only game, but you were allowed to make choices like to run, to fight, etc. I'm sure it's a long shot, but does anyone here know what I'm talking about or remember the name? :confused:

Yup, it was called "STARWARS". :) It was a non-licensed (ie, fan made) text based game written in BASIC. There's a disk image on ftp.apple.asimov.net somewhere.

Loaf, you're better than the Shell answer man. Thanks a bunch!

OK (please excuse my lack of expertise), so is there a way to download the game and play it on a PC?

Eh, PC gaming owes a heck of a lot to the concepts developed for the Apple ][ in the early eighties.

This brings back some rather bad memories of doing Apple IIe word processing in my computer class at Catholic school :D

Yeah, i remember back in grade schoole... er... i think elementry school in other places... i hated the way Apple mouses only had one button, and the whole set up was rather horrible... then they got Compaqs... better... but not as good as the new computers, with good ol' Microsoft Windows :D

Anyone play Space Quarks on their Apple II? I hated that game, but I could'nt stop playing it for some reason.

Homestar Runner is really popular for a really stupid idea. Kind of like nuclear warfare.

Nuclear warfare is a great idea. And no one ever actually does it.

Homestar Runner is the *opposite* of nuclear warfare.

Hey I like Homestar Runner. It is one of the funniest things I've seen on the internet for a long time. Sure, some of it is kind of lame, but you just gotta know which emails and toons are the really great ones. And I like it because the makers of it grew up with the same kind of video games I used to play as a kid so there's always these shout outs to the old Nintendo and even Coleco and Atari games. And how could you not like Strong Sad?

Shipgate said:
Hey I like Homestar Runner. It is one of the funniest things I've seen on the internet for a long time

Thats one of those statements that would make the Enterprise computer explode at the end of a Star Trek TOS episode.

So another Apple II question if I may (not to retract from the epochal Homestar Runner debate). In elementary school ('88) I remember playing a game that corresponded with a unit we did in history class about pirates, buccaneers, Spanish gold, etc, but I can't remember the name of it. It was definitely strategy based, and it bore some graphical resemblance to that Popcap game "Seven Seas". You played as a buccaneer, and you scoured the Caribbean for a pirate guy and his band. During engagements, you had to account for wind to maneuver your ship, access damage, etc. Does anyone know what this game is? It's one of those things that I've been thinking about on and off for years, and I figured this was as good a place as any to ask.

Back