On recoil...

Ilanin

Captain
Made this argument for my Wing Commander III let's play over on the SA Forums, and thought that CIC would probably be interested. A lot of my assumptions are a bit questionable, but there's too many unknowns to get anywhere without making some. I'm trying to figure some things out about the Behemoth to look at how plausible the cutscene in which it destroys Loki VI is:

The first step is to try and work out how heavy the Behemoth is. We don't have any official stats for the Behemoth, but when my Hellcat was in approximately the same place as the ship's engines the range to the Behemoth read just over 10000. The targeting box is in the middle, so let's assume the ship is 20000 long. The best explanation for what units it uses is that it's metres in the targeting computer and kilometres in the navigation one, so the Behemoth is 20 km long. Now, as it happens, the relationship between length and mass of known Confederation warships more-or-less follows a quadratic law (the R^2 is 0.89, so it's not brilliant but nor is it awful):

graph.png

Plugging these numbers in to a length of 20 km gets a mass of about 28.5 million tonnes, which is about the same mass as the near-Earth asteroid 99942 Apophis, and somewhat less than the Three Gorges Dam in China, the heaviest ever man-made object. It is quite a lot of an extrapolation, though, since the longest Terran capital ship we know the mass of is the 1.8 km long TCS Midway, but probably order-of-magnitude correct (and as you'll see, that's plenty good enough to support my conclusions).

Now, for the strength of the recoil. Examining the cutscene suggests that the Behemoth is thrown back about a third of its length:

recoil.jpg

However, the force is a bit more than just that needed to push it back that far, since in the 3 seconds before it opens fire, the Behemoth travels about 93 pixels, or 5 km, towards the camera, and then opens fire and is thrown 124 pixels or 7.5 km away from the camera in 3.11 seconds. Now what actually happens is that it immediately lurches backwards and then seems to use its engines to kill the recoil while still firing, but I'm going to assume a smooth acceleration because it saves me having to do even more fiddling with frame-by-frame measurements.

Velocity before firing = +1667 m/s (positive is towards Loki VI)
Velocity 7.27s after firing = -2408 m/s
Change in momentum = 1.16*10^14 kgm/s

Since momentum has to be conserved in any event, this value is equal to the impulse supplied by the Behemoth's superlaser. The de Broglie equation gives the momentum of a photon as being equal to Planck's constant over its wavelength. We don't know the wavelength that the Behemoth is operating on, but that red colour is about 650 nm (yes, I know that you shouldn't be able to see light from a laser at all unless space near Loki VI is very dusty or something, so that colour may not be anything to do with the laser at all, but I don't have any better ideas for estimating a wavelength). That gives a momentum of 1.02 x 10^-27 kgm/s per photon, so it means that in the 3 seconds or so the Behemoth was firing, it must have thrown 1.14 x 10^41 photons at Loki VI. Given that the energy of a photon is equal to Planck's constant times the speed of light over the wavelength (3.06 x 10^-19 J here), that equates to 3.48 x 10^22 Joules of energy, or 1.16 x 10^22 Watts of power. Which is a) rather more than the Behemoth's supposed output of 5 x 10^17 Watts, but b) still about ten orders of magnitude too low to actually destroy a planet.

Of course, the fact that the thing recoils like a pistol rather than like something putting out a continous force in one direction could have told you that none of the artists or animators bothered to think about the physics involved without needing to go through all of the above, but where's the fun in that?

I didn't like the concept of the Behemoth (or the Templor bomb) at all. I would have preferred an elaborate tactical maneuver or something that, because of the Kilrathi spy, failed miserably. But hey, why not use a gigantic superlaser instead?

Do we ever see the Behemoth alongside other capships? Because it just occured to me - unless we see that the Behemoth is confirmably larger, we should probably go with the assumption that the ship can't be bigger than about 1 km. We're told - and I'm sorry, I can't remember where and in what context (possibly the WC4 novel) - that until they got their hands on Kilrathi technology, Confed couldn't find a way to allow a bigger capship to jump safely.

I remember this very vaguely, though - so maybe just it's something I imagined?

Nope, you are thinking of references from Fleet Action about the Hakagas and a reference in The Price of Freedom about overcoming the issue.

Actually you can even see the Victory in the screenshots. And compared to the Behemoth it is really tiny, although it is much closer to the camera.
Check out this video, at 4:10 min.

It has to be much bigger. several km. Perhaps not as big as the KDN but somewhere between 3 and 4 km at least.

I believe you do see the Victory Battle Group surrounding the Behemoth as it jumps into a new system.

Do we ever see the Behemoth alongside other capships? Because it just occured to me - unless we see that the Behemoth is confirmably larger, we should probably go with the assumption that the ship can't be bigger than about 1 km. We're told - and I'm sorry, I can't remember where and in what context (possibly the WC4 novel) - that until they got their hands on Kilrathi technology, Confed couldn't find a way to allow a bigger capship to jump safely.

I remember this very vaguely, though - so maybe just it's something I imagined?
You can see Vitory in the very screenshots provided from firing cutscene
recoil.jpg

Hmm, I see. It's definitely much bigger than 1 km, then. Why, it's almost... as big... as the Kilrathi dreadnought.

(except of course, nobody at all minds the Behemoth being so huge - it's only the dreadnought that absolutely must be scaled down to 2 km or else the universe will collapse :) )

Nope, you are thinking of references from Fleet Action about the Hakagas and a reference in The Price of Freedom about overcoming the issue.
Right. So I guess they must have been able to already use the technology for the Behemoth, which came after the Hakagas...

Right. So I guess they must have been able to already use the technology for the Behemoth, which came after the Hakagas...

This whole deal involved the Vesuvius. It wasn't that larger ships couldn't jump safely, it's that they (if I understand the in-universe retconned explanation for it) couldn't use certain jump points that had a low overall pool of latent energy (or something like that). Big ships therefore had to use circuitous routes to reach their destinations, which is how Intrepid managed to catch up with Vesuvius before she reached Earth. Intrepid could go the direct way while Vesuvius had to go around. The Kilrathi had solved this problem, so they could bore right in with the Hakagas and (on the losing track of WC3) the Hvar'kanns. Confed hadn't figured out how until after the launch of Vesuvius; presumably, though, they have it worked out by the time Midway was launched.

I'd imagine getting Behemoth around would've been a cast-iron bitch...

Hmm, I see. It's definitely much bigger than 1 km, then. Why, it's almost... as big... as the Kilrathi dreadnought.

(except of course, nobody at all minds the Behemoth being so huge - it's only the dreadnought that absolutely must be scaled down to 2 km or else the universe will collapse :) )

I think that's because the Behemoth is already ridiculously big with somewhere between 4-10km or something (and most of it is hollow anyway), but at 22km the KDN is at least twice as big and it is not hollow. I accept it is that way but I still don't like it, for me it is poor design.

But back to the Behemoth:
Perhaps they only used jump points that were big enough for the Behemoth, like capi3101 said.

I think you have that backwards. the KDN is pretty much entirely hollow based on it's tonnage.. superstrong lightweight lattice construction.. it's crew just about out-masses the ship!

They (the Behemoth and Hvar'kann) could both easily be largely hollow - I mean, via CIC ships database and WCPedia, we have no tonnage figures for Behemoth...which means the damned thing could be just as easily as hollow as the Hvar'kann ostensibly is. Just saying.

Me, I don't mind the notion of the Behemoth being in the same size territory as Hvar'kann. Same argument goes for both...big Kilrathi dreadnought dwarfs Victory ramming into its prow, big Behemoth dwarfs Victory as it flies past when Loki VI is destroyed. Victory ain't exactly tiny...which means both must be friggin' huge......

except of course, nobody at all minds the Behemoth being so huge

I think it's the name. Behemoth: ancient Hebrew word that means friggin' huge.

(Okay, that's not what it really means, but it does come from the book of Job so it probably is of Hebrew origin.)

Yes, the tonnage is crazy--being 22 km long and less than four times as massive as the Victory. The size would not be a problem if it was 100 or more times more massive.

In dire circumstances, refer to the gospel of Joel. 'If you're wondering how they eat and breathe.. and other science-facts.. then repeat to yourself: "It's just a game, I should really just relax."

Yes, the tonnage is crazy--being 22 km long and less than four times as massive as the Victory. The size would not be a problem if it was 100 or more times more massive.
actually it would be.. if the dreadnought was just double the size of the victory it'd be 8 times as massive.. even at 2.2km long (which it isn't, GRRRRRRrr!) it'd be over 100 times as massive if it was similarly dense.

but even knowing this.. when all sources say it's 22km and the cutscenes seem to agree with this notion... why on earth is it worth retconning into some sort of star destroyer sized vessel which would be similarly hard to build and make just as little sense in context. somebody needs to make me a dang 22km ship to shoot at! I'm looking at you, modders!

So now that this thread is another KDN hijack:
What's up with the Paradigm? I mean, the manual says it's a destroyer, but come on, that whole design just *screams* corvette to me!

So now that this thread is another KDN hijack:
What's up with the Paradigm? I mean, the manual says it's a destroyer, but come on, that whole design just *screams* corvette to me!

Dammit, why did you have to go and do that? Now LOAF's going to bring up the cat-sniffing thread again... :mad::confused::eek:

Back