? on privateer mod for freelancer

I've been modding ships into freelancer for awhile now and I find it inticing to make a freelancer mod of Privateer. But being the self cynical guy I am I figured that somebody somewhere may have already started such a project, and figured this would be the best area to check out. And lo and behold, I run a search, and find a couple threads upon the topic, but all of which are quite old, stagnent, and dead. So I am wondering whatever, happened to those projects?

These were the thread I dug up in a search
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=7127&page=4&pp=20&highlight=freelancer
and this page
http://www.scifi3d.de/fl/index.htm
though from what I've seen, these were more atkin to swapping some new ships in replacing a couple of freelancer one, rather then a complete remake of Privateer, aka wipe all the old systems, planets, and ships and remake the privateer world in a Freelancer engine. I also understand the time consumption such a task would involve, as well as some slight source code limitations brought on by freelancer to completely remake the original privateer. But a facimile can still be made to a great extent and would be awesome to behold.

But anyways, whatever did happen to those projects?

I dunno ... which is bad, since I was de facto project leader for most of its life :p Look in the Reckoning forum ... Tolwyn and Acid are (were? Will be) converting ships ... this doesn't mean the mod is that far behind, since I did a lot of stat and background research. Hopefully we'll be able to pull together for a Q4 finish ... but don't expect anything.

by reckoning forum I'm assuming you mean the second link I had posted in my 1st post :) However while I see a little thing saying forum on the side of that screen, I can't click it, whether it's actually there, or just not accesible for me I'm not sure. In fact I can't click on any of the so called looking links except the "background" and "home" links...
Though in truth I'm not sure how hard a project like this would be, quite a few models are already done by other people, just convert the 3ds max or lwo files into milkshape and export to freelancer. Writing ini's for ships is fairly simple. The texture's will need to be converted into .dds format, easy enough to do, but the ships might reqiure re texturing for adding transparent windows and such, along with assiging of hardpoints. Stats and which and what weapons should sell doesn't take long either. The hardest part would be if you really wanted to be authentic and redo all the privateer systems. Which is do-able, and not nececarily hard work in terms of difficulty as much as just taking the time to do it. Heheh, it require someone who has access to playing privateer to go and map everything by hand though :) The map that came with prophecy gives the overview of the systems, but it would be nice to have all the jumpholes and bases in the correct spots. My memory is a little fuzzy to remember all of them, only a couple. -heheh, can even include a steltech wreck way out in the corner of the galaxy with a couple of their guns :)
I think there are enough people who would be interested in such a mod to warant it's completion. So who is it we should yell at to get their arses in gear :p

Back