Old Great Games beloved by WC Fans

Farbourne

Rear Admiral
I'm relatively new to this forum, so I apologize if threads like this have circulated in the past. However, the recent threads about WCIV and GameTap have me wondering...

What other old 90's games did folks who loved Wing Commander also love? I'm wondering if there's any sort of trend...

Personally, my all time favorite games of the 90's were the Wing Commanders (of course), Master of Orion (an awesome, and possibly the first, 4X turn based strategy game), Sierra's Quest for Glory games, Warcraft II, and the original Descent.

I'd be interested in hearing what other games fellow WC fans loved. PC (or Mac) games from 1990-2999 only, please.

Command & Conquer! I was never a giant C&C fan, but I remember it being pretty big among Wing Commander fans back in the day.

Well I didn't have a pc through most of the 90's (I started out playing Wing Commander games on the SNES & PSX) but once I got one games I enjoyed other than the the WC series were: X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Dark Forces, DF: Jedi Knight, and the Ultima series. In fact I still often dust off my copies of TIE Fighter and the Ultima Collection and play them to this day.

Space Quest, Sim City, Tex Murphy (Mean Streets, Martian Memorandum. Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive). In the nineties though I remember wanting almost every sierra game. Possibly Monkey Island, though I'm mixed on it. I love parts of it and dislike other parts.

AD already mentioned the excellent Tex Murphy games, which I love to bits. There's even a slight possiblity of a resurrection for the series, here's hoping.

And the Crusader series. Another Origin classic. I'd love to see a number 3...Awesome games.

Alone in the dark (i was on a black and white screen) ,
UFO : enemy unknown ; Formula One Grand Prix Microprose

Command and Conquer, Doom, Civilization, and Simcity series to name a few. I still play them nowadays with dosbox.

btw, 1990-2999? thats just over a millennium ~~~.

Great idea for a thread - but hate thinking about games I played in high school being 10 years old or older now!

Civilization 2, TIE Fighter, the first two Dark Forces, Warcraft 2... I had a ton of fun playing all those games. I think the one I have the best memories of (outside of WCIII) was Duke Nukem 3D. I still have all my old maps and RTS files on a CD; I blew half of my high school years playing multiplayer with that game.

Loved the space quest series. Pretty much anything to do with space at the time I liked played lots of xwing vs tie fighter (not as much as wing commander 3 though:) ). Was a huge fan of duke nukem 3d I enjoyed doom 2 quite a bit but duke was a very fun game I hope to an xbox live arcade title of Duke someday. Enjoyed that NAM total conversion that was made for Duke 3d. I played Die by the Sword for quite awhile man there is so many games back then its difficult to choose favorites. Glad I kept them all.

Anyone else try out that Aliens online game that used to be out I can't remember much about it but I remember having great times watching doors trying not to crap my pants. :)

Fallout 1 & 2, Quake, Final Doom, Duke3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Diablo, Daggerfall, Castle Of The Winds, Warcraft 2, A-10 Tank Killer, Commander Keen, The Secret of Monkey Island, SimCity, SimEarth, Warlords I & II & Darklords Rising, Final Fantasy II (NA), Catacomb 3-D, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Wolfenstein 3D, Secret of Mana, Lufia & the Fortress of Doom, TIE Fighter, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Final Fantasy VII, The Curse of Monkey Island, Quake II, Unreal & Tournament, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Thief, Baldur's Gate & Tales Of The Sword Coast, Planescape: Torment, and Half Life.

I forgot about SimCity and Civilization. Two of the most addictive games I've ever touched!

Ummmm.... 2999 was a typo. I'd be surprised if they still have PC's then... although I hope some form of Wing Commander will still be around!

Zanac
Elite
Microprose Grand Prix
F-15 Strike Eagle II
Red Baron
Anacreon: Reconstruction 4021
Ultima VI & Martian Dreams
X-Com
X-Com III
Master of Orion & Master of Orion II
TIE Fighter
Civilization Series

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, I'll just add Pirates! and Jagged Alliance 1&2 to the list. :)

Oh, and Strike Commander, of course.

In the 90s, I was playing: Cannon Fodder, Historyline 1914-1918, Interstate '76, Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries, Commandos, Carmageddon, Civilization II, Dungeon Keeper, Warcraft II, Starcraft, Star Wars Supremacy, Star Trek TNG: Birth of the Federation and Star Trek: Starfleet Academy.

Starfleet Academy was actually a lot like Wing Commander. It had FMV and the space combat was surprisingly similar, considering the massive difference in the scale of the ships involved. It and BOTF are my favourite Star Trek games.

It was only after the 90s that I went back and played (and still continue to play often) two other great games of the 90s, Total Annihilation and Deus Ex.

Civilization

Actually, I have found two similar (i.e. turn based, build-an-empire, strategy) games that are (to me, at least) even more addictive than Civilization. Ascendency and the original Master of Orion. Gahhh, the hours of my life that I've wasted... No game comes close to touching Master of Orion for replayability, which makes it even worse...

no one has yet to mention the MechWarrior series yet, i still play the recent ones. I should dust off the older ones and try those again.

And Freespace

I don't think i'll ever get the same experience playing a game as i did when i first played Wing Commander Prophecy, X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance and even Freespace...i dunno something about those games had like a magical feel to them that you were actually a different person and in a different universe and living all that. It's been years since i've gotten a feeling like that from a game

Back