Official XBox 360 Launch Thread

I definitely would not get that one. First, I wouldn't recommend plasmas or the LG brand in general. You're also paying twice as much for a plasma as the comparable DLP HDTV would cost. Plasmas are good for DVDs, but they're susceptible to burn in from video games. That particular model is only 1024x768. If you're going to get a plasma or LCD, you should go for 1366x768 so you can at least reproduce a 720p signal. What reason do you have for buying this model?

Everybody talks about how great plasma monitors are... but it's just because they're the most expensive ones.

In actuality, tachyon monitors are the most efficient.

nah.. LCD TV's are the most expensive ones ;D

I like LCD projection TV's myself :p

and you don't have to mount them to the wall.

NinjaLA said:
nah.. LCD TV's are the most expensive ones ;D

No, they're not. Best Buy currently stocks LCD TVs priced between $499 and $3300. Their Plasmas start at $2000 and go up to $9500. There's no LCDs in the $4000+ range. There's lots of Plasmas in the $4000-5000 range.

NinjaLA said:
and you don't have to mount them to the wall.

You don't have to mount any tv to a wall. I don't know anyone with an LCD or Plasma that actually does.

Well, I really dislike LCD image for movies and games (i spend 8hrs a day looking at a good LCD monitor at work)... The other option is a 32" CRT HDTV. I'm considering a Samsung.

There are about 3 different 42" LG plasma models for sale here, the best one has 1080i, 720p, 480p, 10000:1 contrast and 1500 brightness ... but it costs close to 4500 dollars. And probably it doesn't support the higher resolutions natively. The few LCD TVs aren't much cheaper.

We have a lot less option regarding HDTV "ready" stuff (they didn't settle on a tramission standard, so TVs for sale now support HDTV resolutions but will need a set top box for decoding whatever signal they decide on). So, all in all, I'd like full hdtv, but even edtv is fine. I DEFINITELY do not want any projection stuff. Backprojectors SUCK, and front projectors are far too much hassle.

Hmm, I strongly recommend the DLP TVs though, I've done some comparison shopping and DLPs look just as good as about any LCD screen I've seen. Most look as good comparatively to the Plasma displays and are a great deal cheaper. Plus DLPs are at least 1280x720 which gives you the high definition 720p signal, some of the newer DLPs are 1920x1080 which gives you a much better picture from high def sources (however note that tv won't be broadcast in 1080p for quite some time).

Edfilho said:
PArdon my ignorance, but what exactly is a DLP? I don't think that they sell those here.

Well.. DLP is a rear-projection technology that doesn't suck. It's a completely different technology from what you might have called rear-projection tvs several years ago, and it's what I'd recommend for people getting an HDTV for video games now. They're cheaper than LCDs, always have native support for at least 720p, and have zero potential for burn-in. They're not as flat panel as something like an LCD or Plasma, but they're much thinner and lighter than a CRT. A 50" DLP weighs about as much as a 27" CRT. If you're looking for a Samsung, they're one of the most popular DLP manufacturers. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009EXVMG

I've had an LCD TV for about three weeks now. The picture quality from high definition sources (I've tried my xbox 360 and my PC) is amazing. But the trouble with low definition sources is that the resolution is scaled up to fit the panel which makes impurities more obvious. Projection based stuff seems to be much better at covering things over.

There's no new HDTV technology without problems. Dead pixels are always a possibility with LCD technology. That's simply the nature of how they're manufactured. However, when you're talking about 1-2 million pixels on a 40" tv that you'll be sitting 6-12 feet away from, dead pixels probably aren't a concern. I think you're just as likely to get a defect in the glass screen with another type of tv that's even more annoying. Certain companies are also very good about quality control. My Dell LCD has a native resolution of 1920x1200 and there's not a single pixel out of place. When you have DLP sets, there's the possibility of a prismatic rainbow effect visible by sensitive viewers, and Plasmas have the burn-in issues (as well as dead pixel) that we've mentioned. Cheaper Plasmas also have a shorter burn-out half-life, and there's bulb replacement with DLPs. There were a few decades there when tvs didn't change much, and now there's a lot to consider as they drastically evolve. Being aware of all the potential problems is just as important as knowing the strengths of each technology.

Edfilho said:
And that's why I finally got a 32" HDTV CRT. None of those problems :) And it happens to be less bulky than other CRTs.

Only it's 32".

And that's the inherent problem with CRTs. Your 32" CRT is 120 pounds. A 32" LCD is about 40. The other issue is while CRTs have truly excellent standard definition image quality, they all hack at 720p/1080i. It just depends what you're doing with it. It sounds like that's a great tv for what you're using it for.

I can't stress enough how awesome the high definition trailers and game demos are. Every week or so there's a new game demo to download for free over XBox Live. I can take my 360 to a friend's house and have 5-10 neato games for them to try right off the hard drive. We already don't have time to try all the demos in a night. There's also the obvious benefit to being able to try these things before you buy them, and this service is so much better than dealing with the magazine demo discs of the past.

Back