Offering Services

U

Unregistered

Alright, I've now played the game a bit and am HUGELY impressed by it all. What an amazing job you've done! The only thing that really bothered me was the insertion of certain original art (like cockpits, the mining colony screen) and, since you said you'd like 3D cockpits, I'll volunteer.

I've dabbled in 3D graphics and also 2D stuff (mostly Lightwave and Photoshop), occasionally for pay, so I figure I can make up some nice cockpit images at least. If you guys want it done, I just need to have a talk with whoever the graphics guy is about what format of images I need to supply and whatnot. Just drop me an e-mail at drassk@miramichi.net

Check mail :) Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The cockpits are what people spend the most time looking at (or at lesat they are on the screen most of the time) so improvements there would be cool.

I agree. Right now the old cockipits don't jive so well with the spectacular graphics. Has anyone considered doing new images for the vid-com heads?

I think most of the media can be created without much hassle to a 'new standard'. It's awfully cheap to find people with DV-cams and stuff these days. We just need to make sure we try to keep the stuff produced high-quality. It would suck to have really poorly done video and stuff in there just because it's 'new'.

I'm going to try to get some cockpit images done within the next week which should fit with the new 'high def' graphics. If it turns out not to be much trouble, I might take to redoing most of the recycled stills. It's about fitting stuff into the uni. schedule.

-Drassk

Here's what I'm thinking about vid coms:

1.) I know there are people in the community who have ripped vid-com stuff from WC3 and prophecy. That could fill the Confed/Militia/Border Worlds/Landreich (All the same kind of helmet) and Kilrathi videos.

2.) I liked the pirate vids done in Standoff. With the proper credits, I wonder if Eder and crew would be willing to donate them. They also did some nice talking-head coms, and I wonder if they could either donate some or tell someone how to do them. I think you could use the same vids for pirates and retros.

I agree that if they are going to be done, they need to be more than half-done. Others, like Standoff, have done a nice job, and it might just fit in better with the new graphics and new cockpits to have some new, more convincing vid coms as well.

But, upgrading the stills would also work very well. I'd like to see what you come up with, Drassk. Your idea sounded pretty good. I'd say give it a shot and see how it turns out.

I think cockpits are much more important than comms

we an always say theres "space static" making the comms low quality ;-)
and it gives it a nice retro feel that isn't always plastered against your face like the cockpits...

so ya...cockpits need the first replacin'...can anyone make some great raytraced cockpits?

I guess that's true. The cockpits are always staring you in the face, and it wouldn't hurt to have the old com vids as an homage to the original. I guess we'll just wait and see how things turn out, but I agree with HellcatV's priorities.

Vidcom-Images

I certainly agree that 3-d Cockpits wouild be nice but i would still like these
green old style faces because they are so anachronistic :)
Maybe you can make an option out if it so that people can turn it on and off.

I like the green faces. Let's just say the vidcoms are low bandwidth or something. Ever use a video phone or a webcam for live chat? ;)

Are there minimum/maximum requirements for the resolutions of the cockpits and base/planet graphics?

we'd like all stuff to be at least 1024x1024 at 4:3 aspect ratio
base/planet graphics are a far lower priority right now...because there are so many to replace and inconsistency wouldn't look hot.

So ya... go for cockpit renders first... maybe start with the Centurion...

I believe Drassk is starting with the galaxy...

ideally the image is square (1024x1024) but rendered at a 4:3 aspect ratio... older graphics cards demanded power of two textures... and so we're sticking to that...

also png images only--none of that jpeg stuff--cus we're going to have to translate them back into png to work with transparent forward view...so giving us jpegs is unnecessary hassle and causes horrible artifacts near transparency

This way if a player is running at 1280x1024 the image wil be stretched horizontally to 1280x1024 and if they're running at 1024x768 it'll be squashed vertically to 1024x768

the former resolution seems to be the norm these days... eventually we'll probably regret not asking for 2048x2048 at 4:3

course having the 3d model in addition will allow us to continue improving our rendering of 3d cockpits which could be cool

according to our site stats, the most popular resolution remains 1024x768. That is what I would run if my LCDs native resolution wasn't something higher. For now 1024 seems to be a nice number hehe

according to our site stats, the most popular resolution remains 1024x768. That is what I would run if my LCDs native resolution wasn't something higher. For now 1024 seems to be a nice number hehe

just to point out: resolution for surfing the web and playing games are two different things; browsers don't require openGL and a graphics card.

True, a lot of people play games at higher resolutions than what they use for surfing, to get better detail etc. Just cause I run everything at the same resolution doesn't mean everyone does hehe

Back