Obsolete ships

Actualy a Boat(Sub) is designed to beat ships.
Even a Missile carrier (sub like the typoon class)can destroy a ship.

Yes, a Los Angeles Class sub can wipeout a cruiser or destroyer if goes silent with pasive sonar in a minute, only need 1 ADCAP (sp) or 1 o 2 Harpoon

[Edited by Ghost on 02-11-2001 at 22:31]

I dont think that there are any Seawolf as of yet.
That is why there is the Inproved Los Angeles Class Submarines, to keep the USN Hunters Sub up to the task.

Yes we do have one Seawolf currently in service. Whether more will be built is up to debate in Congress but even if they do build more I don't think that it will become a major class like the LA's. The cold war is over and many people think that the Seawolf is to expensive. SO probbably the new Virginia class will be the next major sub class.

To do the capture the carrier mission, does leeching the ship work? I tried it once and ended up blowing the Princeton up :(

No, fire your guns (missiles do too much damage, I try it with dumbfires and BOOM) at the engines (the red glowing things), It takes some time (It really does, I do that using a bearcat with all power to guns) but belive me it work.

Ok i shall try that next time I get to that point in 4, currently I am 1/2 way through P and then i gotta play all of SO b4 I can begin wc4 again

Going back to the Mace for a moment, the dumbfire edition worked just fine. Terrific for capship killing. Starting WC4, the missile became remote detonated instead of contact. It just seems to me to be a waste of money, firing a slow moving tactical nuke at an approaching squadron, only to have them recognize it, and split up to leave the blast radius. When it gets set off, what do you kill? Potentially, zip. Likewise, if fired at a capship or installation, if you don't set it off just right, the warhead smack into the side, shattering the missile, and it doesn't even detonate or do any significant damage. Money wasted again.

Dumb firing the missile seems to be a better deployment of the missile. Or, perhaps this compromise: a modified IMREC targeting system, programmed to only lock onto capships. By default, detonation is set for impact. If fired dumb, then remote detonation becomes an option, as long as the missle doesn't have a lock-on signal.

Heck, the only real success I had with nuking fighters was when I set one off in Seether's face at point blank. ;)

Wha? Drop control of the mace after you fire it, it'll work just like the WC2 dumb-fire version against capships and installations.

I didn't think any of the new weapons in WC4 were any good...

As for the WC2 mace, that rocked! Capships, thinking that just cos it's not a torp, it won't hurt them, were dead in no time!

Anyway, about the capture the carrier mission in Speradon, I think the angle at which you fire at the engines also affects whether you destroy them or not. I've always found trying to destroy turrets in WC3/4 difficult cos of shots wouldn't register at some angles.

sorry to "resurrect" this, but why is 4 light tachyons medium not heavy fighter? im not disagreeing or anything, just asking, so please dont take it wrong.

It can be a light fighter 'cos the speed is right, it has armor of a med fighter etc.

And becuase those 4 light tachyon cannons equal the power of 2 normal tachyon's which all the heavy fighters in WC4 have higher fp than. The thunderbolt has 4 plasma and 2 ion, the Excal has 4 tachyon (normal) and 2 ion, the Dragon has 2 tachyon (normal) and 2 plasma and fission. So the bearcat's energy weapondry does not equal a heavy fighter's since the BW med fighter has 2 tachyons (normal) and 2 lasers thus giving more power than the bearcat.

Back